Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/)
-   -   WiFi (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/internet-telephones-mobile-phones/13456-wifi.html)

copper 23-05-2017 21:42

WiFi

Last year we had Wifi in our appartment but not this year

A few years ago we were able to use the Public Beach Wifi as there was one opposite the appartment we rented but this wasnt operational last year Any idea if it is this year ? I know there is wifi in a lot of the Bars and Restaurants but would prefer to have something to use in the apartment just for emails and internet on our Samsung Tablet not to use it for streaming films or anything

I have found some old posts about renting a system (collect at airport ) Multihire no longer seem to offer anything The old posts also say you can buy your own Mifi unit and get a sim data card ?? Is this easy to set up and successful ?

Any help and up to date information would be appreciated

marilyn 23-05-2017 22:25

I used to hire but it was very expensive. Cost us £100 one holiday. I purchased a TP-LINK M5250 mobile wifi unit from Amazon. I think it was about £50. I buy a 12Gb data ca rd from Three for £30' This lasts us 3 weeks and more. The card lasts for a year.You can top up online if you run out. We use two tablets and two phones on this. It worked immediately in the UK but you might need to get someone to register it for Spain. I managed to get help for this in the Port but you may be able to do this before leaving the UK. Or if you buy a data sim in the port, hopefully they will help set it up for you. Hope this helps.

copper 24-05-2017 08:02

Thanks very much We will be over in June and September this year and probably the same next year so would be more worth while to buy our own system too

My husband speaks quite a lots of Spanish so hopefully we will be able to get help in the Port with the Sim

THank you again

marilyn 24-05-2017 09:00

We also find it useful in the UK when our home system has had problems.

Gommar Goffer 24-05-2017 09:35

I bought a Huawei mifi unit from ebay for about £45 and then just got a spanish data sim card that slots in and away you go. Just top up the card as and when you need to while/when you are out there

Bircho 24-05-2017 12:48

If you use a Three sim then it will automatically work when you go to Spain so long as you have activated for international use BEFORE you leave the UK. You can activate it online - just set yourself an account up on the three website with the sim card number.

If you decide to use a local sim then the set up is a bit more difficult as you will need to know the APN settings then reconfigure your mifi unit to those APN settings. I did it with a local Orange sim a couple of years ago - it was very frustrating and nearly went through the window a few times! Problem was to do with the admin functions on it only really working with a PC and not against a tablet or phone.

Just one point of note, Three is recommended generally but they are very frustrating for the way they throttle the data to prevent streaming (I know OP said they didn't want to use for streaming). If you know what you are doing, you can usually VPN your way around this restriction. Be interesting to see if they keep this throttle in place in EU countries when the new roaming free rules come into place next month.

copper 24-05-2017 18:39

Thank you all for your help

I shall be passing it to my husband and he can do the technical stuff !

I think we will definately buy one We both have EE mobiles ( Not I phones !!) and we have been advisded that roaming charges are ending but need something to do emails on as something always seem to happen when we are away that needs attention

Thanks again

Mark 25-05-2017 13:04

As you have EE phones you should be able to use the Wi-Fi Hot Spot tethering on your phones, as long as they are smart phones and have the setting and you are on a contract and not pay as you go.

A link to EE website where it mentions the tethering.

Tethering your device | Help with WiFi | EE

That might save you buying another device and Sim :)

best to wait until after 15th June 2017 when new roaming rules are in place and see if EE have any hidden charges or restrictions...

A screen grab from my HTC android phone showing the setting you are looking for:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...psfgiqw9x9.jpg

copper 25-05-2017 16:12

No we dont have smart phones I am afraid !

All we want is to be able to use our Samsung Galaxy tablet for internet and emails I know we can use it in bars but would prefer to use it in the apartment

The tablet is progress for us we used to travel with a netbook !

It will be useful for us to have the free roaming if it happens as I do have internet on my phone but not much allowance as dont really use it Prefer a bigger screen

Thank you

Mark 02-06-2017 16:22

You would need a smart phone with a wifi hot spot setting ( most do) and also enough data allowance available.

We have 4Gb each month on our EE sim only contracts so plenty for wifi hot spot tethering so that our tablets and laptop connects to my phones wifi hot spot.
I already do the wifi hotspot tethering in the UK when out and about so it will be great to do the same in Europe with no extra charges. :)

EE have sent a text confirming 15th June so no more time and money wasted topping up Spanish PAYG sims and buying dongles or renting a MiFi etc.

EE text:
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...psrrx5dn7j.jpg

copper 02-06-2017 18:28

Have internet on my phone plan but not a smart phone

We have had the information about charges from EE as well Hope that doesent change after Brexit !

Have also just been advisded by the aopartment owner they now have internet so we will be OK after all !!

Thanks everyone

El Gordo 02-06-2017 21:10

For information, BT have removed roaming charges from June 1st, ahead of the EU directive to abolish on 15th :cool:

Anyone want to buy a Huawei MiFi !!! :rolleyes: