Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 10:37

apparently the inventor died last week, His funfair will be hello on Sundial.

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2016, 19:22

Ok, we've had all the jokes! Now has anyone any useful answer to my original question about broadband?
Old 07-01-2016, 20:38

My reply yesterday at 23:10 wasn't meant to be a joke.

Molt

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 07-01-2016 at 20:41.
Old 07-01-2016, 20:47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipet View Post
Ok, we've had all the jokes! Now has anyone any useful answer to my original question about broadband?
There is some info on this thread :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...apartment.html.
Old 07-01-2016, 20:51

Ok Molt but don't think I would be cheeky enough to ask this of a neighbour who is paying for the privilege of wifi. However, we do have a few German neighbours who are sharing the cost of wifi. Would this be the same connection as we would need with Uk appliances?
Old 07-01-2016, 21:42

Hi

You don't need a phone line for an ibred connection there is an office in pollensa and they speak good English, the wifi can be a bit hit and miss but adequate for holiday use . Movistar are installing fibre optic around the port and next week we are going to see if it's possible to have at our apartment , hope this helps a little .
Old 07-01-2016, 22:23

Thanks Sparky for the 'link-back' - will have a look at the ideas on there.
And also thanks Pansy Potter for your comments. Where will you make enquiries about Movistar and fibre optic?
Old 07-01-2016, 22:25

Don't quote me on this, but I understand that in the future i.e. now, Fibre Optic will be the only option available. Movistar can't afford to have and offer two different cable systems.

Topping up can be very expensive when four, five and six people want to be online all day and every day something that nowadays is an essential part of life.

I take your point about asking the neighbours, but I genuinely believe that sharing a land line / internet connection is and will be the way to go.

Just ask yourself how many people in the same building share the same satellite dish ?

Molt

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 07-01-2016 at 22:42.
Old 07-01-2016, 22:38

Millipet,

I would like to think that anything that works with UK WiFi will work here. All that will presumably be needed to be done is to update the password code which is on the bottom of the router.

And if any readers are planning on renting their properties, it's essential to have a fast and trouble free internet connection.

Molt
Old 08-01-2016, 11:08

Hi millipet

We went to the Movistar shop in the port it's on the road that Santander is on ,on the opposite side further up , can't remember the name is it Calle juan X11 ?? I'm terrible at road names ! We re out next week to sort it out .
Old 08-01-2016, 12:13

I have been checking out the different options, mainly for professional reasons.

Google IB Red internet-vacacional-y-bonos.

It seems to be good value, but instalation and router are nearly € 100 extra.

Movistar only install Fibre Optic cables if available, which soon should be nearly every where.

The cost for a standard line is € 51 + IVA per month. This includes 300 mb and a mobile phone number with virtually unlimited calls.

Installation is free of charge.

After 3 months, you are eligible to use as and when needed by just paying for the land line at a cost of € 16.50 + IVA per month.

If you want to be able to use the mobile sim card whilst you are not here but lend to other people ( friends, family ) then the cost is € 27 +IVA per month.

So, to cut a long story short, if you use your property for say, 5 months during a calendar year, the total yearly cost would be around € 370 + IVA ( € 450 )

Hope this helps,

Molt
sws97sdg and Nick like this.

Last edited by Sparky; 08-01-2016 at 15:25. Reason: Direct link removed.
Old 08-01-2016, 13:16

Re the above I would like to add that I am obviously referring to a land line with fibre optic internet, and also that temporarily unsubcribing and subscribing this service is free of charge.

Molt
Old 26-01-2016, 15:08

Hi Molt,

I have just spoken with Movistar as this service would be very interesting to many of my clients, but they said it's the Fusion service that you can cancel after 3 month (fusion is when you have phone, mobile, TV, Internet, etc all in one service), Fibre Optics have 12 months "permanencia", if you cancel before that you are penalised.
It's a shame as I think most owners would love to be able to subscribe and unsubscribe as you said.
Old 26-01-2016, 18:44

Hi Chocaholic,

Yes, thats correct, it´s only the Fusion contract, which is with Fibre Optic, that allows you to be able to suspend ( no internet, only the land line ) the service after 3 months and then connect again whenever you need to.

Having said that, for someone who comes and goes and is away most of the year, it´s probably the cheapest way to do things.

I suppose if the person who has this service lives here longer than 8 or 9 months during the year, another type of contract, may, in the long run, work out cheaper.

Molt

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 26-01-2016 at 18:47.
Old 27-01-2016, 00:32

PS One must have a NIE to contract this service.

Having just a passport is not enough.

Molt