Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 17:57

Cath Have I got this right? I buy an unlocked Huawei mifi device from Amazon.

I then visit the Locutorio opposite the Chemist and buy say a 3GB data sim from him, which I can then top up online or by going back to the shop. Do I need to get a sim for this in uk as well if I am only using it in Majorca?

Sorry to be a bit dense on this as we usually get the wifi2go which seems to have got really expensive this year particularly when we are over 3 times a year.

Any help you can give, greatly appreciated.
Old 29-07-2015, 18:37
Banned

Basically yes. It MUST be an unlocked device, and Huawei seem fine. Go to the Locutario opposite the big chemist on the "High Street" and get your card, put it in and away you go.

I don't know about top-ups with whatever Spanish sim card you get. No need for a UK card.

By the way for all, Three is fine for browsing the internet but useless for downloading anything. I shall be getting a €10 Spanish sim card to see how it goes as a comparison.
Old 29-07-2015, 19:36

The guy in the locaturio advised Digi sim was the best value ..i paid 10€ for 1 gb of data..only use it for browsing and not downloading anything so found them to be about the same as Three... there are 2 options with Three...£10 for 3 gb pay as you go or £15 for 10 gb roling monthly contract therefore a better price than the spanish sim..I took out the rolling monthly contract with Three for July but decided to pay for another couple of months as back out mid sept and not worth cancelling for 1 month ....will cancel in October and then re instate it for January

Eating Out
Old 30-07-2015, 10:32

Is the rolling contract with Three in UK ? £15 for 10Gb a month sounds good
Old 30-07-2015, 10:37
Banned

It's for use anywhere so you can use it abroad too. I have the £15 10gb one which they told me was a special offer.
Just make sure that "roaming" is enabled.
CathB likes this.
Old 30-07-2015, 10:47

Yes Marilyn as Nick said the Three sim is for use in UK and also certian countries abroad using their " At home " service..it's really good value .sorry i did not really make myself clear in my post 😉😉

Eating Out
Old 30-07-2015, 10:48

My tablet is wifi only so I need to create a hotspot. Threes website says you cannot do this abroad, only in UK
Old 30-07-2015, 19:22

Marilyn I connected my Ipad and my friend connected her samsung tablet...no need to create wifi hotspot..just went to settings/ wifi and selected the device and input the password that comes with it

Eating Out
Old 30-07-2015, 21:56

Thanks Cath. I think I will give it a go in October. Sounds just the job our tablets.
CathB likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 23:45
Banned

Just got back from PP and took my new Three mobile Huawei mifi with me.
Mixed feelings really. Fine for basic internet browsing but useless at trying to download or watching YouTube or similar. Just would not do it. Browsing speeds were fine.

Went to see the man in the Locutorio (spelling) in PP High Street. His English was not brilliant. Saw him on the Monday and explained I wanted to try a mifi SIM card so I could check it against Three's. Said come back Thursday when he'd have some. Went in on Thursday and he said they don't do them?? Couldn't be bothered to discuss it with him and left it. I've no idea how some of you managed to get the SIM card.

Will probably try a Spanish SIM card off the internet to test next. Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:30

I tried various phone/internet places in the port and it was only the one on the main road that could offer a data sim...( as you say his english is not the best) it was Digi sim 10€ for 1gb . I found this no different to the Three sim...my mifi device is 3g only but I only use my phone/ iPad for browsing / whatsapp etc and not downloading films,music etc so it was more than adequate for basic needs.
Do Movistar do a data sim ?

Eating Out
Old 10-08-2015, 09:23
Founder

We used the locutorio too - see http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...html#post98338 It was called a SIM Mundo and is actually from Orange. I do speak some Spanish to maybe that helped.

If you prefer to buy via the UK & get help in English - see 0044 We have used them for an international Sim to use in the US & India.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:36

I got my data sim from Lociturio on Joan XXIII - just asked for a data sim for MiFi, also with Mundo (Orange). I have also topped up at the internet cafe on the corner of La Gola and v. del Carme (road Zarzales is on).
Old 24-08-2018, 07:32

Wonder if anyone can help. We have wifi in our house, which is lightning fast but costing a fortune - especially as we're only there about 8 weeks a year

I'm thinking of switching to a MiFi solution. Does anyone know what kinds of speeds you can get from MiFi in the port? Would I be able to stream sport etc?

What's the best kit and what does it cost?
Old 24-08-2018, 08:15

I use this method. The 4G coverage is good and can stream TV while I stream music to two Sonos speakers simultaneously and reliably. This is better than Jazztel which I found to be slow and very unreliable.

I use my UK O2 SIM as a mobile hotspot with occasional data Bolt-Ons but there are limits which mean it has to go back and be used in the UK occasionally.

I also have a pay monthly Spanish SIM from ibred.es that I bought from Telesat in Pollença which is good value for data. This is an unused 4G mobile phone that stays in the apartment.

Last edited by Hanser; 24-08-2018 at 08:19.