Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alcanadakid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 10:27

Default Pairing sky cards

We have just got a new Sky box at home and pairing the card was quite simple. No need to ring anyone, just press a few buttons.

This made me wonder whether we can take our UK sky card to Mallorca and pair it with the Sky box there, and then re-pair it on our return.

Has anyone done this or know whether it will work?
Sponsored Links
Old 26-03-2015, 12:58
Banned

I would love to know the answer to this.
AK - out of interest then, how did you do it in the UK? I can then at least try it in my apartment. I'd be pretty surprised if it works though. Can't believe Sky would allow that!
Old 26-03-2015, 14:09

Get another sky card on sky Multi room £10 per month and leave it there I bet that works Am Just saying just an thought :P
Old 26-03-2015, 14:57
Banned

Possibly Phil but it still has to be "paired up" with the box so you'd have to take that box out each time, if I'm right?

Just can't see that tapping in a code will work on a different card but you never know.
Old 26-03-2015, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
I would love to know the answer to this.
AK - out of interest then, how did you do it in the UK? I can then at least try it in my apartment. I'd be pretty surprised if it works though. Can't believe Sky would allow that!
The instructions were on the set up instructions with the new 2TB skybox. With card in place press "Sky" button, then press 4 0 2. This brings up sky sports channel and a dialogue box appears saying "viewing card not paired, press select to paIr". Press the select button and within a few seconds it is done. It was as easy as that, no phone calls needed, no need to type in viewing card number nothing other press the select button. I am not sure whether this procedure is unique to the new sky box, or if it can be used with other sky boxes.

If you need to get to the installer menu press "Services" then "Set up" then type 0001 then press "select". Don't forget the final select button otherwise nothing happens. If you use TV link you need to access this to turn on the RF outlet. We have a new Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom and had an awful picture quality when connected to the TV link. By researching the Internet we found that by changing the RF channel number it would help. RF outlet is set to channel 68 by default but changing it to channel 22 it improved the picture quality immensely. Obviously you need to rescan the channels, remembering that the RF channel is analogue. Also, only the Sky TV link worked whereas another brand wouldn't work.
Nick likes this.
Old 26-03-2015, 21:16

I forgot - previous to pairing the card I had connected the skybox to the Internet. Not sure whether that could be significant, but it could be.
Old 26-03-2015, 21:32
Banned

Thanks AK I'll probably give it a try, if I'm brave enough!
If I do I'll post my findings.
Old 27-03-2015, 11:02

If it has to be connected to internet then it will not work in PP as it will recognise your IP address and will not work. Unless you are using a Gizmo that gives you a UK IP address
Old 27-03-2015, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
If it has to be connected to internet then it will not work in PP as it will recognise your IP address and will not work. Unless you are using a Gizmo that gives you a UK IP address
I am not sure that it has to be connected to the internet, but, if so, you can use a VPN (virtual private network), such as Hola, to disguise your IP address.
Old 28-03-2015, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
I am not sure that it has to be connected to the internet, but, if so, you can use a VPN (virtual private network), such as Hola, to disguise your IP address.
So can you use that to get sky on demand because this will not work using normal IP if so how do you get one of those thingy ip whatsits please
Old 29-03-2015, 18:22

Just do an internet search for VPN Services and you will see them listed. You download the programme and off you go. It should be good for simple tasks.

Some are free and some are paid for. I haven't used any for streaming movies but I believe they are not that good for doing that.

I have a commercial one from a university and I have no problem with iplayer on my ipad. Never got it to work on my laptop though,
Old 31-03-2015, 00:53

We have had sky in our apartment for a good few years now. From memory I bought a HD box on e bay, told sky I wanted to take the box to my caravan when I'm going there ( very sneaky, I know) and I think it was £10 a month for the card. We plugged it in in PP and it worked perfectly, I've even phoned them once from majorca and put a football match on. I just checked there and we are actually now paying them £21.50 per month but we have since upgraded to the record and pause facility which is the extra money. As we have only one line coming into the house, we can only record the side that the tv is on but it means when we,re out or in our beds we can record programmes.Probably a waste of money that bit when I come to think of it!
Old 31-03-2015, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
We have had sky in our apartment for a good few years now. From memory I bought a HD box on e bay, told sky I wanted to take the box to my caravan when I'm going there ( very sneaky, I know) and I think it was £10 a month for the card. We plugged it in in PP and it worked perfectly, I've even phoned them once from majorca and put a football match on. I just checked there and we are actually now paying them £21.50 per month but we have since upgraded to the record and pause facility which is the extra money. As we have only one line coming into the house, we can only record the side that the tv is on but it means when we,re out or in our beds we can record programmes.Probably a waste of money that bit when I come to think of it!

If you change or get an engineer to change the LNB on the dish ( about 40 Euro for the LNB) and run another cable down you will have all the functions of sky plus. If you can get to the dish its actually easy to do it your self and the cable is really cheap . another idea while you are up there put a bigger LNB ( More connection) and run cables to bedrooms etc
Old 31-03-2015, 08:39

Thanks fil, unfortunately the engineer told me that there wasn't enough room in the cable duct to run another cable from the roof, but I'm quite happy with being able to record when we,re out.
Old 31-03-2015, 14:41

Hi
Has anyone on p.p.com used TVMed? We have had problems with programme breakup despite having a large dish fitted. We are meeting a rep from this company in June. Advice appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Sparky; 31-03-2015 at 14:58.