Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46

Talking Ipad use in pp

My son has an Ipad 2 wifi and 3g. He wants to bring it to PP in July. What is the best way of using the Ipad whilst he is here. I know the apartment we are staying in does not have wifi so he will need to use his 3g but three want £5.00 a day. We are currently with three but wondered if it was cheaper to buy a Spanish micro sim card for when he is out here for him to check facebook, twitter etc. you know what 17 year olds like to do....... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Julie xx
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00

Definitely the best way is to use a Spanish SIM card. Movistar, Vodafone and Yoigo cards are all available, although you would have to go to Alcudia town to obtain the last two. I use a Yoigo micro sim from the shop in Alcudia, it is cheaper than Vodafone and the network strength is good in PP, you still have to be careful how you use it though or your 10€ won't last very long. Streaming content and using Skype would run away with your credit. Great if you just use it for checking email and the web or even posting on social networking sites.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56

Hi also if the ipad came as part of a 3 data contract it may be locked

They have to unlock it for you providing contract has been held for 30days

You fill in a form and then they unlock it remotely providing you are on ios5 or above ..... Costs £16

Also remind him that there are lost of wifi zones around so to preserve his 3G by using wifi as much as possible.

Likely someone will also come on to remind you of the dangers of using public wifi but to be honest I doubt there is much of interest in teenage tweets and Facebook lol
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04
Founder

An alternative is to rent a mifi device (mobile wifi) from wifi2go and then he can use his Ipad and anyone else in the family can use their smartphone, tablet, Ipad, laptop etc. via Wifi. Normally costs 39.90 EUR a week but just use the promo code PTOPOLLENSA15 to obtain a 15% Discount on Wifi2Go Wifi Rental.
Old 06-05-2013, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALKFAMILY View Post
for him to check facebook, twitter etc. you know what 17 year olds like to do....... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Julie xx
He should spend some quality time with his parents and soak up the culture and atmosphere rather than tweeting

I know what it's like though

The mi-fi 2 go rental would be the easiest and not too expensive.
probably worth paying for 2gb if you rent this for a teenager.

The Sim that whaleywanderer mention looks a reasonable price but the ipad would need to be unlocked as its cd says so check that and the data will be used up quickly.

I dont have an ipad but see if there are any advert blocking programs/apps you can use while on holiday as this will reduce the amount of data used.
On windows it's easy to reduce the data used but not sure on ipads.
Also turn off any auto updates etc.
Old 07-05-2013, 14:19

Hi All.
My wife wants to bring her Ipad when we come to PP again in July. She normaly uses her Iphone on UK contract or the free Wifi hot spots for the very limited needs whilst on Holiday. The Villa we are in is in the sticks and no wifi. (Which suits me) She wont use it enough to justify the MIfi costs especially as we are coming for nearly 4 weeks. Just a bit of surfing. Can anyone tell me if the Spanish micro sims mentioned above are 'pre paid' or do you need to buy a 'pay as you go' sim. And can you pay 'cash' for these options.
The Ipad is unlocked to any provider.
Ideally I would just like to hand over Euros and buy a sim,
Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52

Hi Dunk in answer to your questions: The micro sim that I use from the Yoigo shop in Alcudia town is PAYG, initially costing 10€, this normally lasts me about 2 weeks but obviously varies depending on usage. There is a small change to the settings but the guy in the shop did this for me (make sure you've got you're Ipad with you!). When it needs topping up I always go back to this shop. Very helpful guy and speaks enough English to understand your needs.
Old 08-05-2013, 14:14

The Yoigo does look a reasonable price and I must try that network sometime, maybe at the weekend if I cant get my vodafone Spain sim to work

location of Yoigo shop to help anyone find it:

Avenida Príncipes de España 5 07400 Alcudia - Google Maps

Avenida Príncipes de España 5 07400 Alcudia - Google Maps

From Yoigo website:
Dirección

Avenida Príncipes de España 5
07400 Alcudia
Baleares

Horario
De lunes a viernes: 10:00 a 13:30 y 16:30 a 20:00
Sábados: 10:00 a 13:30
Domingos: Cerrado