Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By booboo
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By booboo
  • 1 Post By roig cat
  • 1 Post By Mark
  • 1 Post By pescador2009
  • 1 Post By JMD40
  • 1 Post By snowy2007

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 21:39

Question Booking a villa

Currently trying to book a villa through Owners Direct called Villa La Rafal Roservell, for June 2014, says its five min walk to the old town, I have been e-mailing the owner about details and payment, I have just received an e-mail from the owner asking for deposit which is normal by bank transfer, but they are also asking for my passport details, is this normal as never had to do this previously, I am a little weary of this as previous threads have mentioned scams.I would be grateful if anyone knows of this Villa or stayed here or thoughts on scams.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 22:24
Super Moderator

I have never heard of booking agents requiring passport details, i would be very wary if i were you .
Nick likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 22:28

Not stayed in it but walked past, the location is good and only a short walk into town.
Not really a walk in the dark though as the first few minutes is on a road with no pavement and no lights.

I don't think I would send anyone on owners direct my passport number and a bank transfer as too many have been caught out.

Never had a problem myself on owners direct but now we use the villa companies from this site and others and pay with a credit card as even with the small surcharge for a credit card it feels safer.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12

Owners Direct yet again! This company really need to get their act together. We stopped advertising our place with them as had so many problems.

I have never heard of anyone requesting passport details and have no idea why they would require then . Personally I would be very careful and wouldn't provide this info. Seems yet another owners direct potential problem to me!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42

Thanks, really glad I asked, I think we will go back to using the Villa companies, we have used Owners Direct several times with no problems, just had a bad feeling from the start about this " OWNER " once again thanks.
Sparky and eleanor like this.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14

I think you have made a wise move there! Something not quite right with asking for that information.

Also do look at private rentals on this site as I don't think you will have any problems with owners on here.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18
Super Moderator

Do have a look at these links for private rentals, villa companies and agents. I am sure you will find something suitable .

Rent Villas Apartments in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Majorca (Mallorca)

Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca Majorca Holidays - Travel Companies

Rent Villas, Apartments from Agents in Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca Majorca
pollensa likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12

Thanks, will do, better to be safe than sorry, we have been several times to PP with the family, bringing friends this time so may bump into you.
Sparky likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 13:16

Default Booking a villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
Currently trying to book a villa through Owners Direct called Villa La Rafal Roservell, for June 2014, says its five min walk to the old town, I have been e-mailing the owner about details and paymoent, I have just received an e-mail from the owner asking for deposit which is normal by bank transfer, but they are also asking for my passport details, is this normal as never had to do this previously, I am a little weary of this as previous threads have mentioned scams.I would be grateful if anyone knows of this Villa or stayed here or thoughts on scams.Thanks
I thought I would mention that it is requested by the villa license people that you need to have the passport details of the lead rental party member. I have found ownersdirect to be a good company. You can check at the bottom of the villa details how many years the owners have been advertising their villa. Renting is a matter of trust from both sides. The villa owner is renting blindly to people who could abuse their property. Alternatively the rental party need to have confidence that they are not being ripped off. I try to get to know the rental party and give them reassurance. I do not have facilities to take money by credit card, but give the option of bank transfer or cheque. I do not know anything about the mentioned villa. I am applying for a tourist license and passport details were mentioned. J
Old 03-10-2013, 13:23

I once rented through Solmallorca estate agents and they also wanted a passport number at booking.
JMD40 likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzystew View Post
I thought I would mention that it is requested by the villa license people that you need to have the passport details of the lead rental party member. I have found ownersdirect to be a good company. You can check at the bottom of the villa details how many years the owners have been advertising their villa. Renting is a matter of trust from both sides. The villa owner is renting blindly to people who could abuse their property. Alternatively the rental party need to have confidence that they are not being ripped off. I try to get to know the rental party and give them reassurance. I do not have facilities to take money by credit card, but give the option of bank transfer or cheque. I do not know anything about the mentioned villa. I am applying for a tourist license and passport details were mentioned. J
I dont think many people doubt the honesty of the actual villa owners it is the adverts that have been hijacked by phishing scams that are the problem.

Adverts with the longest history and good google hits are most likely the ones the scammers will target as they are the ones that will make the most money quickly before they are found out.

lots of google results and many have been caught out.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ow...ficial&spell=1

The number one rule for a property owner is never click on any link in any email even if it says it is an enquiry from a customer and you need to log in to reply as that's one of the ways passwords are captured.
eleanor likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 14:56

I was asked for passport details for all occupants by an agency who was - and still is - a regular advertiser on this site and is situated in PP. Had no prob's, as far as I know. The apartment was fine and all went to plan.
JMD40 likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31

Cool Passport Details

Please stop panicking about handling over your passport number! In Spain you always provide your DNI (idenity number) when you make a large purchase or enter into a contract with someone.If the owner, or agent, is declaring their income they should provide an INVOICE to the customer and this invoice must have a DNI or a passport number.
They may not actually send you the invoice as they know you may not want it but it is produced for the tax office so personally I would say that if they have asked for your passport details they are a serious legally run operation and other owners/agents should be doing likewise.
roig cat likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39

I have just been ask same so must be a law in Spain now booking with rentalspuertopollensa.com
JMD40 likes this.