Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46

Question Hotel Playa Mar

Happy New Year everyone! Let's hope it's a good one

Anyone stayed in Hotel Playa Mar and can give me some feedback on it. My daughter, son-in-law and two granddaughters are looking at it for a week probably in July. The girls are 5 so they liked it because of the entertainment (doesn't do much for me I'm afraid) I thought it might be a bit far out for them as it's a long walk into the centre. Any thoughts welcome...thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 21:55

Never stayed there but did wander down a few times many years go to let my daughter and nieces join in with some of the kiddie entertainment which the hotel were ok with you doing providing you used the bar/ cafe.

Not really sure what to say about it as it really wasn't my cup of tea. If you are looking for a peaceful place then this isn't it.

It was ok for the odd hour but I think you may need to find somewhere to "escape the noise" ...... I have more recently heard loud organised entertainment from around the pool in the afternoon and the evening which I would imagine gets a bit too much after a day or so.

On the plus side, you are near the pine walk beach which is pretty quiet at that end and also you have the advantage of the Illa D'Or hotel to have a sit outside with a nice drink or a coffee and also Bar Laguna for great value snacks.

Also the sea here is lovely and shallow and a great place for little ones to potter around with a bucket and fish net exploring the seashore ..... Something that seemed to entertain ours far more than any of the manufactured entertainment in the hotels. The sea here may also be less manic for the little ones than the hotel pool.

The walk to the centre of the port from the Hotel is about 25mins but it is a glorious walk so don't let that put you off
Sparky likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 22:01

Thanks CD, but unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps in this instance we will not be accompanying them. I have to agree with you and say that it's not my cup of tea either, although I can understand why my daughter would choose it with two 5 yr olds. I personally would much prefer sitting at Illa D'or with a beer (or two). I hope, that if they do decide to go that they will not be disappointed as it would be their first visit to PP and I would like them to enjoy it as much as we do
Old 01-01-2013, 23:10

Not stayed in Playa Mar, or any of its competitors, but have had a good 'nosey' inside them all several times over the years.

Playa Mar looks to be the best of that sort of family-biased accommodation with entertainment etc, certainly most modern - but - IMO its a long way out from centre of PP (perhaps dragging youngsters as well), but a beautiful walk that I do many times just because it's so beautiful.

Equivalent alternatives are Valentin Puerto Azul and Flora, both not quite as nice or modern but optimum location very close to centre. Or Villa Concha (again not as good looking etc as Playa Mar) short walk from excellent south bay beach and under 10 mins along the prom from centre.

Trixy choice.
Old 11-01-2013, 13:50

Bit late maybe but my input for what it's worth!!

Have stayed here each of the last 4 or 5 years, and again this year. As noted, it is a busy place, no doubt about it, if you want peace and quiet not the place for you, although in fairness you do not have to join in and some parts round the pool are quieter than others.

It is great for kids who like the entertainment etc, and there are some slides in the pool which are quite new. There is now a free indoor pool with saunas etc which is very nice...wife used to escape there now and again!!

As for a beer at the Ila Dor, now you are talking!! Often stay there en route into town. Personally, would rather stay P Mar than in the centre as you have the very scenic, relaxing Pine Walk to go along into town. our kids now 14 and 11 but been doing the walk for a few years now, and always a taxi back for 5-6E if they are tired - after ice cream from the 'kiosk'!!!
lollipop likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 15:30

Hi What abouth Oro Playa? we stayed there many years ago when the children were small. Short distance to the beach and close to the center, they have events for kids as well?
Old 11-01-2013, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Hi What abouth Oro Playa? we stayed there many years ago when the children were small. Short distance to the beach and close to the center, they have events for kids as well?

Not sure if the Oro Playa even opened last season? In 2011 they didn't open-up until about May, and closed very suddenly before the season ended. The place has looked very run-down for some years now.

It is a shame, because location-wise, it is excellent. If the accomodation were to be refurbished, I'm sure it would be very, very popular.
Sparky and Tone like this.
Old 11-01-2013, 22:12

Thanks for all your comments. Yes I agree the Oro Playa could be fantastic as it has a really good location. The apartments have not been open the last couple of times we have be in PP so they may be closed completely. Have stayed in Flora Apts many years ago and again location first class. I was asking about Playa Mar on behalf of my daughter but they have now booked....not for Puerto Pollensa though but Sa Coma instead....can't understand them. We will just need to have another visit to compensate
Old 12-01-2013, 11:44

Hi Ora Playa was open last summer when we were in PP, we lived close by. At least in the period late June to the middle of july. . But have not seen inside the apartments for years so they may need some refurbishment :-)
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04
Super Moderator

I agree that the Oro Playa has been in need of a refurb for a few years now, when they closed early a couple of years ago they said it was because they were going to do a lot of work on it but it never happened .

The good news is that the Flora is undergoing a major refurb this winter .
Old 12-01-2013, 19:27

stayed at the playa mar a couple of times when the girls were wee

Was our worst nightmare to be fair but the kids loved it at ages 6-8

At that age holidays are all about the kids aren't they as memories of those times last for ever
Old 12-01-2013, 20:53

I agree with you gers1873, I think it would be our worst nightmare too but as my granddaughters are only 5 I guess they might enjoy somewhere with lots of entertainment. I think that they have chosen the hotel in Sa Coma purely for that reason.....good luck I say
Old 12-01-2013, 21:42

RDA, sa coma is a lovely place too and im sure your grandkids will have a great time don't fret they will come around to pp sometime
Old 12-01-2013, 21:57

Fingers crossed gers, fingers crossed
Old 13-01-2013, 00:29

Many of the holiday companies are selling 'superior rooms' in the Oro Playa for Summer 2013 and Mar Hotels own website claims that these will be fully refurbished and renovated in 2013. Fingers crossed because location is superb but upgrading is long overdue. Playa Mar not for me but Sister and her family loved it because the children were so happy there. Great news about the Flora!
Sparky and Romana like this.

Last edited by LK1960; 13-01-2013 at 00:34.