Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 11:01

Question A/C

We are considering renting an apartment in Llenaire
for 2 weeks in August.
It does not have A/C, only fans.
Do you think we will be able to sleep with the heat ?
Sponsored Links
Old 30-10-2011, 12:15

Got both in our place and in August, we use the A/C to cool it down during the afternoon but sleep under the fans as A/C too harsh on the throat (if you're a flycatcher like me)!
If you keep shutters shut and heat out, fans will be adequate overnight.
Old 30-10-2011, 12:48

Had two apartments in recent years first two weeks in August with fans only,never again,for me its too uncomfortable. A/C every time.
scouse mark likes this.
Old 30-10-2011, 20:11

There is nothing worse than sleep deprivation - especially on holiday!! In August you really do need air con.

Car 77
scouse mark likes this.
Old 31-10-2011, 10:26

Out last August, no air con ..... never again!!!!
scouse mark likes this.
Old 31-10-2011, 10:40
Super Moderator

I don't like aircon it gives me a sore throat and makes hubby sneeze, i prefer to keep the shutters closed, the windows open and use electric fans.
Old 31-10-2011, 10:56

We only have fans in our apt. and find it sufficient - it depends on what you are used to. My son is so used to the sound and feel of a fan he regularly has one on in his room in the UK!

One of the effects of A/C can be tonsylitis, which does put me off.
Old 31-10-2011, 10:58

Default Air con

Same here Sparky!
No dry throat in the morning that way.

Might also try that handy tip that someone posted a while ago - use a 'hot' water bottle but fill it with iced water.
Old 31-10-2011, 22:55

We only have fans in our home in PP and have always found them sufficent. The one time we did rent a villa with a/c the humming noise kept the kids awake.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34

We are lucky enough to get the breeze from the mountains in Llenaire, but if the apartment has had the windows closed for a few hours, its great to give the place a blast with the a/c to cool it all down. Usually switch off the a/c anyway about an hour before we go to bed (if we have stayed in, obviously its off anyway if we are out!) and use the fans. The pumps which run the a/c will carry on pumping out at intervals even when switched off and can be very annoying when trying to sleep if you are a light sleeper, so its a good idea to get most of it over and done with before you sleep.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56

I have to agree Belladonna,but I can't even sleep with fan going. We cool bedroom down for about 1 hr before going to bed and then leave the window ajar and curtains closed. Used our air con very little this year. Could be living here you get to learn how to live with the heat ,which in a two week holiday is a bit difficult.
Old 01-11-2011, 13:24

Our fan snapped its ring after the first week we were there - it was a few years old, so not unexpected. Anyway, bought a new one and set it up, all working fine, except it has a bright orange light on it show its working!! Really!!?? The blades moving round are a bit of a giveaway I would have thought! I need total darkness to sleep - cost a fortune to have the curtains lined, and even have to put towels over tv buttons etc! Anyway, now have to try and tie / stick kitchen roll or tissues etc around the light to darken it down in order to sleep!! If it slips off, I wake up. Absolutely ridiculous I know. Now putting the fan in the hall and trying to angle it to blow into the room. Thank goodness for the winter!

Have to say lollipop, that after two weeks this year, I was managing to sleep with just the windows open, so you are probably right about getting used to the heat!
Old 01-11-2011, 13:37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
Used our air con very little this year. Could be living here you get to learn how to live with the heat ,which in a two week holiday is a bit difficult.
I think you are right Lollipop, our first year living here we really struggled through the August heat but this year was not so bad. I still don't know how people cope with working in it though, especially in kitchens .
Old 01-11-2011, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
I need total darkness to sleep - cost a fortune to have the curtains lined, and even have to put towels over tv buttons etc! Anyway, now have to try and tie / stick kitchen roll or tissues etc around the light to darken it down in order to sleep!!
If it's a small LED light on a power button etc then take some Black PVC insulating tape with you and cut a small piece to cover the LED light.

I always take black PVC insulating tape in my suitcase on every holiday to anywhere

This kind of tape:
19mm Electrical PVC Insulation Tape 20mtr Various Cols | eBay

Also to solve the bright windows problem I buy a cheap roll of aluminium kitchen foil on the first supermarket trip and tape it to the glass in the bedroom window with PVC tape, if you are careful you can stick the tape only to the glass so no risk of marking any paint etc. you need a helper to hold the foil.

The tape peels off easily at the end of the holiday and the foil goes in the bin.
The foil also keeps the heat out, if you want some natural light open the window.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:23

Of course you can sleep in August I don´t use air-con and the misses doesn´t like to open the windows because of insects. I think the warmest in the bedroom was 34 degress. That was when I got in from work at 5.00 am. You just sweat a little. Good for weight loss... drink plenty of water though!!!!. As for kitchen foil.. why put it up at the windows. Wrap yourself up in it and cook with a gentle heat... Then when you have finished hang it out to dry.. use a bit of insulating tape as the washing line..