Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/)
-   -   Cash payment on arrival (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/7536-cash-payment-arrival.html)

Dixie 14-06-2011 12:06

Cash payment on arrival

We're visiting Puerto Pollensa in a few weeks. We have booked our accommodation and the owner has requested a cash payment on arrival. Is this an acceptable payment method?

Sparky 14-06-2011 12:25

Dixie, i used to rent my holiday accomodation from local people and always paid in cash on arrival with no problem at all. Just be extra careful at the airport if you are carrying a lot of cash :).

sws97sdg 14-06-2011 12:36

Hi Dixie, this is what I am doing as well, if you can pay in euros you can draw it out when you arrive, as I am doing, safer that way.

pollensa 14-06-2011 16:16

Hi there,

we get regualar phone calls about this but Yes it is often done by local owners & have never had any reports of this causing issues. I hope that reassures you. :)

Dixie 14-06-2011 17:14

Thanks for the advice and the links to the websites.
I do feel reassured and think the idea of withdrawing the cash in Puerto Pollensa is spot on.
Much appreciated!

Hotpot 17-06-2011 19:07

just a warning

I have been to stay in pp many times, have stayed in villas and apartments and paying cash on the arrival has not been a problem before. This year we transfered desposit and e-mail instructed us to pick up keys at reception and pay the balance at that time. Found the apartment but no reception. Getting very hot and bothered and tired we asked the staff of an hotel and were told the reception was 15 -20kls away. I phoned the mobile number on the e=mail and was told I was expected to go there first but they would send someone out with keys, which they did but they were they wrong keys so we had to wait more time. I e-mailed the company and my point was had it been our first time in pp it would have been difficult, first to find the reception (there was little or no instructions) and second we could have been given the wrong keys. I asked why could all the money could not be transfered and a code for the key box be sent as this is what othe companies do. When I got home and sent an e-mail listed some things that were not right or acceptable, like one towel per person for a week and no cleaning midweek and other things that we have come to expect, I think I just got the shrug with a curt e-mail saying thanks and they will note my complaints. This was not a private person but a company advertised on this web site and not cheap.

Flyer 17-06-2011 19:30

Unfortunately in this day and age people will often seek the best (cheapest?) deal via the web and they seldom consider if they are protected both financially and in terms of the accommodation/flight on offer. In most cases things work out ok but in a few cases it can go wrong and some times in a big way.
There are many different ways of buying holidays and travel arrangements today. So, it’s very important that you understand whether or not the money that you’ve paid for your holiday is safe if the travel company that you’ve dealt with goes out of business. There are a number of different ways that you can get this protection, but not all travel arrangements are covered so you should always check.
Next to your home and car a holiday is normally your greatest expenditure. Given my position within the industry you would expect me to recommend ABTA (yes I know that sometimes things go wrong with ABTA holidays/accommodation) but if you book without this protection then your expenditure is, in a minority of cases, open to risk.

H.O. 17-06-2011 21:21

cash payment on arrival

I always thought it was ATOL protection you needed not ABTA - maybe it's both???

Heather

Flyer 17-06-2011 21:39

Depends upon if we are talking about flight/holiday/accommodation 'protection' - basically ..... you pays your money ...... you know the rest ...... but the end result (from the majority of my experiences) for a 2 hour flight from Gatwick there is no better place for sun/food/company than PP in Mallorca !!!

JMD40 20-06-2011 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer (Post 60468)
Depends upon if we are talking about flight/holiday/accommodation 'protection' - basically ..... you pays your money ...... you know the rest ...... but the end result (from the majority of my experiences) for a 2 hour flight from Gatwick there is no better place for sun/food/company than PP in Mallorca !!!

May I suggest that, where possible, advance payments are made by credit card (not debit) as this provides considerable protection. Most of the clients who had paid by credit card for their holidays last year with a Tour Operator which went into liquadation got their money back via the credit card company eventually - after lengthy phone calls and emails.

cumberland8 20-06-2011 23:07

We have been renting villas & apartments from locals for at least 25 years,always cash,never a problem.you have to realise that is the way business is done in Mallorca & SPain.
Last year thousands of people booked their villas with credit cards beforehand,on arrival at the airport only to find their properties do not exist, this is now the fastest growing scam in Europe.
Besides why should we keep giving a percentage to banks? Every time we use a card.
What have they ever done for us?

Rich 21-06-2011 20:25

As a thought, if you're going to pay cash, and plan to get that cash from the ATM when you arrive in PP, it might be a good idea to inform your bank beforehand that you're going abroad.

These days some banks have blocks/limits on overseas card transactions unless pre-notified.

cumberland8 21-06-2011 22:42

Valid point Rich,also if collecting from ATMs be aware of the extortianate charges some banks make.
Get a decent money belt check for the best rate at money supermarket in the uk & save yourself small fortune.

MudShark 12-07-2011 22:33

A better way to take euros is to use a prepay debit card like the one offered by Caxton FX. They have US dollar and euro cards and the exchange rate is phenomenal! You first charge up the card before you go - so you can wait and choose when to buy your euros at a good rate. Their price is usually ~2.5 cents below the bank rate - just about the best rate you are ever going to get for cash. There is no other fee for charging up the card (except the initial £10 to get a card but you still get that changed to euros and get to spend it)

After that you just use it in any hole in the wall that accepts Access and there's no charge when you take money out either. Google Caxton FX.

Booble 29-07-2011 10:15

Hi
We are having the same problem. Dixie it sounds like you may have been to the same place as us. Stupidly I misunderstood that the hotel to collect the keys was so far from the apartment, I got it mixed up with a different hotel which I thought was across the road. Problem is I have booked the speedy resorthoppa for myself, my husband, 3 year old and grandparents!!! Am very stressed. Was already worried about wandering round with cash as they will not accept anything else not even travellers cheques, now I don't even know how we are going to get there to get the keys!
Awaiting the apartments owners to email me back now!
Any advice anyone please?