Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/)
-   -   Break in at the Bellresguard apartments (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/7470-break-bellresguard-apartments.html)

bluejr77 31-05-2011 21:51

Break in at the Bellresguard apartments

Hi, just a word of warning for anyone staying in the Bellresguard apartments. We have a friend, who is a keen cyclist, who regularly stays at the same Bellresguard apartment.

Last week he was over at the Port with a friend for a serious week of cycling. After a particularly gruelling day, they returned to the apartment and as they were exhausted they quickly fell into a deep sleep.

The apartment is on the first floor and that night he must not have checked that the patio doors were locked securely. His friend woke in the middle of the night to find a stranger walking around the living room. They had climbed up to the first floor and entered through the patio doors. The first thing this burglar had done was to unlock the front door for a speedy escape and then went looking around. As this friend shouted the person ran out. He only managed to get cash and an ipod/docking station. Luckily they were unharmed.

We were out the week before and a local Mallorcan lady was telling us that the number of robberies (sadly some involving violence) was increasing and locals were extremely concerned. She is a cleaner and takes care of several properties, most of which had either break ins or attempted break ins. More and more people were contacting Trablisa regarding alarm installations.

I don’t mean to put a damper on anyone’s break and I suppose we do tend to be more relaxed when away and do things we wouldn’t normally do at home. Just make sure you don’t relax too much and forget to lock any doors!

Janice

Lorenzo 31-05-2011 21:59

Break-in

Oh dear :(- but thanks for letting us know. Always best to make sure that everything is properly locked at all times.
This incident serves as a very good reminder of that.

gemmakate 31-05-2011 22:06

Awful news.
Just in the process of booking a week at the end of the month and for the first time we have looked at villas with private pools a little bit out of the centre, some of them look quite remote on google earth. The thought of someone breakling in whilst we are sleeping chills me to the bone.
But then to read that it has recently happened right in the centre in a busy apartment block is even scarier! Does that mean there are opportunist burgalars trying doors and windows to see if any have been left unlocked?
I know im probably worrying unduly, and that obviously you have to remember to follow the same security procedures as in the UK, but there doesnt seem to have been any stories like this for a while. Perhaps its a timely reminder to be vigilant and not to let your guard slip.
Such a shame.

Nick 31-05-2011 22:10

Criminals are everywhere. Mallorca, and in particular PP, is an affluent area so rewards for these "people" are higher.

Unfortunately with totally open borders throughout Europe now and with Spain having the highest unemployment levels in the EU crime will become more commonplace.

We all need to be more observant and challenging. The more safeguards we take and observant we become the less opportunity for these "people".

Remember, just don't give a thief a chance. That's all it needs, nothing complicated.

Finally, don't let this put you off!

Nick 31-05-2011 22:19

Just seen your post after I'd saved my gemmakate.

With regards to burglaries it's really as follows:

The vast majority happen during the day when people are out. A thief does not want to be challenged, it's their worst mightmare.
They will always try doors and windows first to see if they've been left unlocked - commonsense.
They will usually knock at the front or back door first to see if they get a reply.
Leave a radio or TV on when out.
Don't leave anything of value in sight of doors or windows.

Hope this helps as a small starter really!

gemmakate 31-05-2011 22:54

Thanks for your reassurance Nickpaulnoah.

Its a sad fact that crime is everywhere, I just used to feel so safe in PP, in comparison to our other holiday destinations (particually mainland spain, where we have family living). We had a break from PP last year, but we are so looking forward to our holiday at the end of the month. I think having our toddler son with us makes us feel more worried, which is why a night-time break in sounds so so awful.

Dont worry though, it wont put us off, just make us more vigilant!

clinkham 01-06-2011 01:50

The last few times we have stopped in Bellresguard there has been a uniformed security guy patroling - paid for by the owners, I presume? This is quite reassuring, though obviously he can't be everwhere at the same time.
Just have to do the sensible things - lock the doors and windows etc etc. plus many of the Bellresguard apartments have roller shutters over the windows - particularly if you are on the ground floor, it may be a sensible belt and braces approach to close the shutters at night. And as a last defence, make use of the safe which most apartments have. Have you ever had to replace a stolen passport? Costs a fortune and is very inconvienient if you are about to fly home!:(

Rosie34 01-06-2011 07:51

This thread just reminded me of a holiday we had in an apartment on Pine Walk quite a few years ago. My husband had a lovely little silver pillbox (present from me) in which he kept his lunchtime pills and it was always on the same part of the kitchen worktop - the apartment was open plan so it was in full view. We happened to be in the apartment one day when 2 cleaning ladies arrived (not Spanish - from a much more eastern region!) and they proceeded to change linen etc while we were in and out of the terrace area. At lunchtime, he went to get his tablets and the pillbox was nowhere to be found - we searced the apartment high and low - although he knew exactly where he had left it. We reported it to the holiday company (not private rental) who were quite blase about it. But it just goes to show that even if you are in the apartment - be careful!!!

WRIGHTSTUFF 01-06-2011 09:27

We are due at the Bellresguard in 2 months, that is a worry.
Although its not only in the appt you should be vigilant. We were followed last year down the Pine Walk on a sunday night when all the locals parade. It was very frightening as we had the children with us. I will be having evenings in on both the Sundays we are here this year.
Be careful but still enjoy :)

Sun Properties 01-06-2011 09:36

Yes this happened to us. We are on the first floor so thought it safe to leave balcony patio door open at night so a breeze came through the lounge. Apartment below was unoccupied so robbers put a chair on top of the patio table (after getting over the community fence) then climbed up over our balcony railings. We didn't hear a thing and slept through it all but woke the following morning to find we had been 'cleared out'. We couldn't even get to the Guardia as the car had gone as well. One of the most annoying aspects is that you have to employ a translator. Car was recovered some 3 months later in Alcudia. Learnt our lesson - don't relax too much on holiday, be on your guard and you will be ok. Watch the supermarkets (pick pockets) particularly on a Saturday when people arrive - the thieves know you are likely to have lots of cash (particularly in your handbag) and they seem to target older ladies.

pollensa 01-06-2011 10:12

Also be very careful when you first arrive as people are often not so careful to lock things away when they first arrive and thieves are on the look-out for new arrivals - empty properties are unlikely to be broken in to (although we have had garden furniture & a tnmble-drier stolen during the winter!). People arrive in their villa or apartment, partially unpack & then go out to explore. As mentioned above, do make use of any safe provided & put down shutters AND lock balcony doors and windows if they lock and double lock front doors. If there are any internal lockable doors i.e. lock these as well when you go out.

Smiddy 01-06-2011 10:30

Common sense, make sure everything is locked when your not in the apartment, only takes a few seconds. If you have a safety deposit box, use it! Personally, i refrain from bringing expensive items with me, also tend to use the pre-paid currency cards , so there's no money in the apartment, keep seperate photostats of your passports! If a thief ever manages to enter Casa Smiddy he ain't gonna leave with much, apart from hope fully a sore face.

susiejb 01-06-2011 13:59

A timely reminder for us all....please also take care when collecting your hire car.....thieves can be so devious.
Re: my post last year 'something terrible happened' when we were robbed on arrival at Palma airport.
We have always been so careful yet any one of us can be tricked by thieves.

We shall be extra vigilant this year.
And will never forget how kind everyone on this forum was to us at that time.

eleanor 01-06-2011 14:54

This thread is probably a worry to any new visitors to Pollensa. Please do not be put off from coming. PP in my opinion is still one of the safest places to visit. Like anywhere it is important to be aware that there are a few people who will take advantage of the fact that PP is a holiday destination and they will hope that opportunities will be available to them. What is important is that you think as you do at home and act as you would at home. Also should anyone arrive at the villa or apartment stating they are cleaners, gas workers, or any other do not let them in. Any authorised person would not object to you phoning the housekeeper or holiday company to check. Most would let you know before hand if service people are expected.
Also be aware if you are approached by someone with a map asking for directions. This has happened to us in Palma. One keeps you busy looking at the map whilst the other steals you bag! - This happens in many cities so again extra care needed.
Just act as you would at home. Like many places with unemployment being as it is will bring more problems but if we are all careful and they are unable to steal very much then they will move on or find another way to make their money.
Please do not be put off coming to a beautiful place that really is quite safe - just take as much care as you would at home.

susiejb 01-06-2011 15:14

I certainly agree with you Eleanor ..... I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from visiting PP, as you say, you do feel incredibly safe there, and
it still remains our favourite holiday destination.