Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/)
-   -   Re Oro playa (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/6607-re-oro-playa.html)

bevgt 25-09-2010 14:18

Re Oro playa

Friends daughter is due to go out to the Oro playa this Thursday booked direct and hasnt heard anything to say its closed as I read in one of the other reports, can anyone tell me if it is still open before I start to worry them,

pollensa 25-09-2010 16:02

Bad news. I've just walked into reception & asked. They close tomorrow! They suggest that she calls their central booking office on 0034 902 078078 When you say that she booked direct, was it direct with the hotel itself or with one of the booking companies?

Hotel website is at http://www.marhotels.com/apartments_...rca_start.html so she could telephone there direct today.

Apparently they will be re-opening next June.

bevgt 25-09-2010 17:58

Thank you Pollensa I will ring them now as far as i know she booked direct with Oro playa you would have thought they would have notified them they are turning up thursday with two little kids, will let you know what happens .Out of interest is it closing because the whole place is being done up.
Thank you once again for finding out for me.

andrew711 25-09-2010 20:32

Looked as though it had already closed yesterday. Maybe there will be a transfer to Playa Mar (same company), which at least had people around yesterday.

bevgt 27-09-2010 18:31

Cant believe it my friends daughter rang Mar hotels to ask if the rumours were true as she was arriving thursday and they said yes its shut claim your money back on barclaycard sorry and goodbye. What away to run a company I only hope no one else has booked with Mar and not been told.She has now booked with the Diana apartments who were very helpful,

JMD40 27-09-2010 18:49

How very strange - being part of a larger company they would normally automatically move the clients to another hotel if they choose to close one of their properties early. Not a good way to ensure business next year - and not opening until June - a 3 month season???? The crisis deepens. Anyone have any more info on this??

andrew711 27-09-2010 19:16

Strange and poor. The same chain last year closed its Playa de Muro hotel by the end of September (which didn't open this year till well into the season). But I'd thought they had transferred bookings to their Alcudia hotel. Isn't Thomas Cook the main operator at Oro Playa? Wonder what they make of it.

Portofan 27-09-2010 19:27

Thomas Cook's website is inviting bookings for next year.

pollensa 27-09-2010 21:02

Am afraid I didn't get any more information when I went in on Saturday. I just asked when they were closing & they gave me the dates as if it was nothing unusual! & then the telephone number when I said I knew of people who had booked. They were a bit surprised then!

I'll look out for any lost souls wandering about this week... but their attitude really does stink!:mad:

its cd 27-09-2010 23:46

Bev

If it is any consolation, your friends will probably be much better off in the Daina.

From what I have seen of the Ora Playa over the years they expected a family of 4 to spend the week in a small 1 bedroom apartment or pay massive supplements; the pool area always looked really full and the entertainment was a bit dodgy ........ I remember I used to pop in every now and again to let the kids attend the mini disco and some of the stuff that followed was in the least "strange" for a family hotel ...... I remember a pretty explicit drag act on one occasion

At least at the Daina there is a nice peaceful pool that your friends and their children will at least have room to swim in and whilst I havn't been in the apartments I have friends who have stayed in the hotel and thought it was really nice. I can also confirm there was no awful loud music coming from Lemon last week on any of the evenings I walked past ...... though I may have been singing the odd note myself, which I assure you is far worse :)

As they say, every cloud has a silver lining ..... I just hope your friends are not out of pocket

clinkham 28-09-2010 00:15

"As you will see from my earlier posts we stayed in La Singala last week. (End of June) Now back home and able to take stock. We are both agreed that last week was one of our best ever visits to PP, despite getting off to a bad start at Oro Playa.
Oro Playa is depressingly grim - it needs an immediate and total refurbishment - the apartments were worn out, with cracked and chipped tiling in the bathroom areas. Silvering on the mirror peeling off. Polystyrene ceiling tiles broken, blackened and loose. Beds past their sell by date, possibly with 'dunlopillo' matresses that were in the late stages of decay. I'll not go on - too depressing.AVOID!!!!! "

Thought I might have been a little precious when I wrote this at the end of June, but it turns out I was spot on. We were booked into Oro Playa for 7 days with Jet2 - we didn't unpack - it was terrible. The staff seemed unconcerned that we were leaving so quickly. Wrote to Jet2 and recently got a letter back with the usual 'you should have complained in resort' which is what I expected. Whether it was my letter I don't know, but Jet2 haven't offered Oro Playa since early July.

bevgt 28-09-2010 07:57

Thank you will pass all your comments on to her,she was just so relieved that someone told her before they left.so she could sort it
out.Agree with you all she will be better off in the Diana we stayed in the Oro playa about 5 years ago and the aoartments were run down then there is also a few negative reviews on trip adviser about Cocoa the clown being a bit moody. Hope the place gets a good makeover as its in an ideal position for beach,bars etc funny not opening until June though.

JMD40 29-09-2010 21:23

I drove past today but could not quiet read the note attached to the door but I dont think it said much .. . .. A moody clown - now that is truly unforgivable!!!!
In times of crisis the hotel owners/Managers really do need to treat their clients as Kings or expect bookings to be even further down next year. The Hotel Miramar staff are fantastic at attention to client to all their clientele - hotel and self catering and that is why their clients return year after year and many several times a year and consider the staff almost family.

kevessex 07-10-2010 11:44

we were due to stay at oro player too , but had to change, we read the note on the door after it closed on sunday, it said any new arrivals should the phone the number it had printed on the bottom of the notice, but that ws all !1

cant believe there attitude as mentioned on above posts !!!

would love to know more about the La singala hotel, iit looked very nice when we looked around while out there ?

we ended up at the eolo hotel, but thats another story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clinkham 03-03-2011 00:34

Oro Playa 2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkham (Post 50549)
"As you will see from my earlier posts we stayed in La Singala last week. (End of June 2010) Now back home and able to take stock. We are both agreed that last week was one of our best ever visits to PP, despite getting off to a bad start at Oro Playa.
Oro Playa is depressingly grim - it needs an immediate and total refurbishment - the apartments were worn out, with cracked and chipped tiling in the bathroom areas. Silvering on the mirror peeling off. Polystyrene ceiling tiles broken, blackened and loose. Beds past their sell by date, possibly with 'dunlopillo' matresses that were in the late stages of decay. I'll not go on - too depressing.AVOID!!!!! "

Thought I might have been a little precious when I wrote this at the end of June, but it turns out I was spot on. We were booked into Oro Playa for 7 days with Jet2 - we didn't unpack - it was terrible. The staff seemed unconcerned that we were leaving so quickly. Wrote to Jet2 and recently got a letter back with the usual 'you should have complained in resort' which is what I expected. Whether it was my letter I don't know, but Jet2 haven't offered Oro Playa since early July(2010).

Just had an email from Jet2 Holidays extoling the virtues of the Balearics. Browsing their offering, as you do, spotted they are offering the Oro Playa from the end of May till mid September. The description and photos seem unchanged from last year.
Oro Playa closed early last season for what was reported to be a big refurb.
Anyone any news whether the refurb is likely to be completed by the end of May?

Bails 07-03-2011 17:28

Walked past the Oro Playa several times during the last month. We had once stayed there in 1993. It looked to be a disaster zone, boarded up and as we are now in March I would be doubtful if any substantial renovation work of the type required would be possible. The pool had not been drained and was a stagnant green in colour and the building resembled a "modern" prison in style and texture. Sad.

bevgt 05-04-2011 23:06

Oh what a shame really thought they were going to refurbish it for the summer, it could be made really lovely and it is in such an ideal position for everything,Have not looked on website yet to see if they are taking bookings for this year yet.

allanglens 06-04-2011 10:43

Well, just tried imputting various random dates (Sat to Sat) onto the Mar Hotels website for the Oro Playa. It shows no availablilty for early May, but some from early June onwards.

So maybe they intend opening late this year.

allanglens

mpg.mk1 22-04-2011 09:21

Just returned from a week staying almost opposite the Ora Playa -Oh Dear!
I know quite a few families who stay there every year (as we used to.) Most are under the impression that the Ora Playa is shut for a much needed refurbishment, well it looks as though they have just locked up and walked away; it looks a real run down shambles. We were told that it is due to open by the end of May, but it will require a lot of work berfore then to get it ready!
There is a knock on effect, the corner shop across the road - next to Laroc; has not opened and no one knows if they will open this year!
In contrast the Flora Appartments round the corner, looks as though it has had a lick of paint and the garden in front of the dining room was all planted up and in bloom, creating a very good first impression. The Flora was the first place we ever stayed in PP (heaven knows how many years ago!) We used to look at the Playa Mar and think it was the D.B's, eventually staying there for many consecutive years. Even back then we used to comment that the rooms could have done with refurbishing.
We had the pleasure of staying in the Playa Mar when it was first opened which was brilliant but just a little too far out of town for us. I understand that this place has already had one refurb; yet this place is owned by the same group, it's hard to understand why they have let the Ora Playa go so far downhill

meg1973 22-04-2011 09:38

this does not sound good , we stay opposite the ora playa and is usually busy when we are there july august time , sparky do you know anything about this ??

Sparky 22-04-2011 09:50

Sorry Meg but mpg.mk1 is right, i have seen no sign of the promised refurbishment and the place looks very sad now. It closed before the end of the season last year supposedly to start the work but absolutely nothing has been done. Such a shame :(.

meg1973 22-04-2011 10:19

sad to hear i see they are still advertising it on there website ,just did a quick type in of dates in may and it is coming up closed and so are another 3 hotels that they own , but june onwards available to book

favie 22-04-2011 10:38

June onwards!!?? Doubt it will be ready for then or will it??, Therefore I reckon people should be very cautious about booking and ask them for gaurantee that it is , especially after what happened to Simon at the Capri.

marilyn 22-04-2011 22:24

We stayed at the Oro Playa the first year it opened and had a great holiday. I thought it was very sad to see the state it is now.

My neighbour has booked Oro Playa for herself, her daughter and two grandsons from 28th May. Sparky would be grateful for any further news you get so they can take it up this end if necessary.

Thanks

Joanne 23-04-2011 08:41

Thats a shame if the shop on the corner (think its called Monte Carlo) doesnt open this year have been going in there for provisions and ice creams on the beach for a few years now

bernard11 12-05-2011 09:24

Any news on this? I am due to fly out in August. I have called Thomas Cook. They have spoken to the agent and have guaranteed me that the Hotel is now fully operational. I have stayed at the Azul quite a few times so I know the area. I could go back to the Azul, however the benefit with this hotel is the self catering option.

I have 10 days to inform Thomas Cook if i want to change before the 70 day penalty kicks in!!!!

animagic21 12-05-2011 13:57

We have walked past the Oro Playa every day this week. It looks extremely run down. There are signs that some work is being carried out eg a chap in a van lopping dead palm leaves, but can't believe it could possibly open soon.

bernard11 12-05-2011 14:56

That's very dissapointing. I will be phoning Thomas Cook tomorrow 1st thing and get my hotel changed. Not even going to risk it. I have looked at Duva, but a little unsure of the walk into the Square?

pollensa 12-05-2011 15:22

Why not try phoning them directly & see what they say:

- Contact customer service: (+34) 971 431 387
- Contact hotel's reception: (+34) 971 864 441

meg1973 12-05-2011 16:04

my mum is now out in PP and she has seen people cleaning the pool as our appt looks into the pool area, she did say its looking a bit tatty though !!! , but a lick of paint may help its cause possibly

bernard11 12-05-2011 16:07

Thanks pollensa. I tried those numbers yesterday before i posted on here. The hotel number was unobtainable. I have also emailed the hotel direct and it bounced!!!! I will try again and let you all know.

bernard11 12-05-2011 17:16

I have spoken to customer services and the hotel opens on 27th may as per usual. It hasn't had or indeed having any refurbishment. Just a general tidy up. Does it look any worse than recent years? Most reviews were positive from previous years. It's an ideal location hence the reason we booked here!

clinkham 13-05-2011 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernard11 (Post 58342)
I have spoken to customer services and the hotel opens on 27th may as per usual. It hasn't had or indeed having any refurbishment. Just a general tidy up. Does it look any worse than recent years? Most reviews were positive from previous years. It's an ideal location hence the reason we booked here!

Bernard11 - I don't want to a doom monger, but quoted below is my post following our visit to oro playa last year. The place was grim - we walked out without opening our cases and booked in and paid again in another hotel. Oro playa closed before the end of the season last year with the suggestion it was to have a major refurb. We were back in PP in April and the place was like the Mari Celeste. Wind blown and derelict with no sign of any refurbishment having taken place between sept and April. As it has taken months to lay drainage pipes and do some crazy paving in the Square, IMHO there is no way 4 or 5 weeks is enough time to bring the place back into use, never mind 'refurbish' it any sort of acceptable standard.
My view my be slightly coloured by the fact I'm £500 down on our holiday last year, but I don't want anyone else to walk into a similar situation. Problem is if you fetch up there then complain -you will just get the standard 10% compensation from the tour operator or waste your precious holiday being transferred to another hotel. If I was in your situation I would look to change hotels before you go - oro playa is the exception that proves the point that other accommodation in PP is generally very good.. If they won't rebook ask for written confirmation that oro playa has been fully refurbished and is of an acceptable standard. If not they will give you a full refund ( unlikely they will agree this but no harm askingAnd. It will demonstrate you are serious)

It's your holiday,your hard earned cash. Don't wait till you on your hols before taking some action. Read all the other posts on this forum. They tend to confirm what I have said above.

Originally Posted by clinkham
"As you will see from my earlier posts we stayed in La Singala last week. (End of June 2010) Now back home and able to take stock. We are both agreed that last week was one of our best ever visits to PP, despite getting off to a bad start at Oro Playa.

Thought I might have been a little precious when I wrote this at the end of June, but it turns out I was spot on. We were booked into Oro Playa for 7 days with Jet2 - we didn't unpack - it was terrible. The staff seemed unconcerned that we were leaving so quickly. Wrote to Jet2 and recently got a letter back with the usual 'you should have complained in resort' which is what I expected. Whether it was my letter I don't know, but Jet2 haven't offered Oro Playa since early July(2010).

animagic21 13-05-2011 23:59

We stayed at the Oro Playa in Sept. This was a base only as we ate out each night and went to the beach each day. The staff were pleasant and the rooms clean but extremely basic. This break we stayed at the Flora. Again the rooms are basic & staff helpful. However, having seen the state of the Oro Playa this week, I would not like to be staying there myself. The outside is particularly in need of re-painting & the balconies look grim.

bluestar 15-05-2011 12:12

Agree - just got back last night - the rep at the Playa Mar said it is due to open at the end of May but from the outside looks terrible.... main door boarded up, dead plants on the balconys, and a gereral look of neglect however the palm trees ouside were being cut back this week perhaps that is a sign that it is coming back to life!

keenholidayfan 17-05-2011 15:14

Oro Playa

I’ve just been reading all the stories about the Oro Playa at closing early at the end of last season. I’m quite concerned as to whether anyone knows if it will be re-opening this year as we’ve booked for this season (first day of holiday 25th June 2011).

We visited Mallorca in March this year and spent a day in Puerto Pollensa so took at the Oro Playa at they looked nowhere near ready to open in May, in fact the pool was green. Has anyone noticed if they’ve started to clean up yet? They are due to open at the end of May according to their website as that’s when they are taking bookings for!!

its cd 18-05-2011 00:01

I really wouldn't advise anyone to stay here especially when you consider the number of really nice 2 bed private apartments available for rental on this site and elsewhere. The hotel is tired and the pool area is bedlam in the summer, the entertainment is really not great and they expect a family of 4 to cram into a 1 bedroom apartment. Not many of us sleep in the lounge at home , so why do it on holiday .......... I know thats just my opinion, but really why would you?

And the bit I really don't "get" is that its not that cheap ........ I know its a different place but I recently ( out of interest ) priced a holiday from uk to the Playa Mar for a family of 4 ( crammed into a 1 bed apartment ) 1 week in August self catering = £3,000 ............ compare that with the DIY option of flights for about £150 each and around £1,000 for a really nice 2 bed apartment with pool ......... lots of money spare to pay for transfers and nice meals out.

I know some people say they need the kids clubs and the entertainment , but I have been holidaying with children for the last 18 years and in my opinion PP has so much to offer, they can get so much more out of a holiday than the rowdie kids club type entertainment often offered.

Playing on the beach, fishing, collecting hermit crabs,feeding the fish, kayacking, hiring bikes, football in the square, dressing up nicely in the evenings and going out for grown up meals with mum and dad because they are good children who know how to behave themselves in restaurants, the water park at Alcudia, climbing up the calvary steps , counting each and every one , running back down if they loose count knowing there is an ice cream treat waiting for them at the top, the riding stables over by C'an picafort, the boquer valley walk, the boat ride round to formentor having a swimming pool there is actually enough room to swim in, playing diving into the pool for coins etc etc ............. gone on a bit I know and nearly went for "lashings of Ginger beer" .... but joking aside, thats the type of holiday all out kids can have in PP with very little effort from Mum and Dad and loads of family fun to be had by all ( in fact I am almost wishing my 17year old was a toddler again )

I had some friends who went to the Ora Playa a couple of times just beacuse they hadn't really thought of any alternative and they thought their kids woudn't never make friends with anyone if they weren't in a "holiday apartment" ......... when I pointed out the other options they booked themselves a lovelly apartment and have never looked back.

Of course the kids make friends, you just have to spend a bit of time in the square or by the beach any evening to see the groups of children of all nationalities meeting up making freinds , language being no barrier

And the wonderful thing about PP is that people come again and again and the kids that used to meet up to play football or "sit on the Coach House tree " now meet up at the all night beach party during fiesta week or Cheesy Chivas

Sparky 18-05-2011 00:25

Great post as always CD and oh so true, get a group of kids together on the beach or in the square and they will be happy for hours and it doesn't matter what nationality they are or what language they speak. :D

Belladonna 18-05-2011 09:06

Can always tell when you are longing to get back to PP cd!! Those memories come flooding back and pouring out! (You can tell its raining here at the moment!)
Thanks for a great post. Very informative and absolutely right. It is a comfortable and easy option to choose a hotel with facilities for the children, and many work out great, especially if you really have no idea of the area or facilities available.
But with all the information on this site - no one can complain about that!:cool:

cherylbb 18-05-2011 10:42

Great post CD and so true. We holiday with friends every year and we met in PP through our sons playing on the beach together. My son is 18 next month. They still play footy & cricket on the beach, go fishing & feed the fish though, its part of the holiday.
But have never stayed at Oro Playa or anywhere with a Kids Club.