Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35

Default 18mths, 41yrs and 72yrs old.....where to stay?!

Hello Everyone,

I am need of some help please

I am thinking of coming to Puerto Pollensa in the first 2 weeks of May (is the weather generally quite warm then?) with my 18mth old little girl and my Mum who is 72 and has never been abroad before. I have been to Puerto Pollensa twice before and loved it but was with friends so this will be a totally new experience for me!! (...and probably quite stressful as well!! Lol)

I'm stuck as to where to stay. I was looking at the Illa D'Or as I think Mum would love it there and to be honest my daughter is a bit young for all the kids clubs etc. I'm just worried that staying at one of the bigger family hotels or apartment complexes would mean we'll be kept up til after midnight with the entertainment which I wouldn't mind but my little one and my Mum probably would Was thinking of a villa but would quite like to have breakfast cooked for me and I know we'd definately need a car and I've never driven on the right before....well not intentionally anyway

So, the long and the short of it I guess is have you any other ideas of places to stay? Not too far from the beach and Pine Walk so we aren't treking miles and not near too much late night entertainment (although I know things are pretty low key and not too rowdy).....think my days of those holidays are long gone now!! Lol

Many thanks in advance for your help

Serendipity
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2010, 17:21

Hi Serendipity and welcome to the forum. The Hostal Bahia is situated on the Pine Walk directly in front of the beach. They do B & B. Its a nice small hotel and very welcoming, plus its just a couple of minutes walk to restaurants and the square. Just make sure you book rooms overlooking the sea.

Follow the links on the left side of the forum for Hotel and Aparthotels. If you don't want to book independently follow the links to the travel operators and then look for Hotel Miramar or Hotel Daina. These are also on the sea front and both do B&B. The Daina also does HB, but I think it is much nicer to eat out if you can.

Jan

Last edited by pollensa; 12-02-2010 at 17:44. Reason: links added!
Old 12-02-2010, 18:35

I would suggest you look at renting privately as you have the best of all worlds.You can then also choose where to have breakfast every morning if you so wish.

Use hotel facilities for any entertainment you need.

Take a look at this site = sorry not able to to put link up as not that competent!

Try Villa & Apartment Rentals in Puerto Pollensa

Last edited by pollensa; 12-02-2010 at 19:53. Reason: link added!
Old 12-02-2010, 19:42

I'm sure you would have done already, but just incase you missed it;...
Old 12-02-2010, 20:22

Thank U Pollensa for adding the links - something I need to learn!

Jan
Old 13-02-2010, 00:29

Thanks for being on the ball Pollensa! I did actually do the link, but then changed my sig for something else and it changed it automatically! we live and learn.
Old 13-02-2010, 13:41

We stayed last year for the first week in May and the weather was lovely, i beleive that after we left it was rainy for a couple of days but then good again. We stayed at the Flora appartments (spottlessly clean), and as it was early in the year, there was no entertainment then. Even when there is entertainment it finished about 11 in most places.
This year though, i have booked a private appartment.(through this site, use previously added links) The main reason for this, is that if we do have a couple of wet days, i wanted a more equipped place to stay, with great views and heating because the evenings did get chilly (especially if you have had a nice sunny warm day, it feels much cooler when the sun has gone). It was reasonably priced too.
It is a lovely time of year, not too busy but enough going on and generally sunny and warm but it won't be too hot.

Happy looking
Old 13-02-2010, 14:06
Founder

Hi there,

I would actually recommend a private apartment too. There are loads within a short walk from the beach & many with communal pools. If you choose one with a garden and/or balcony then you & your mum have somewhere to sit in the evenings. Having said you can always adjust to Spanish times - have a siesta in the afternoon - & still sit out somewhere on the pedestrianised front & watch the world go by whilst your little one runs around or digs up the sand (with you keeping an eye on her of course!).

You will also have a living room & probably a TV if you need it. As for breakfast, you can always go out for it - there are plenty of recomendations here http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...breakfast.html.
Old 13-02-2010, 21:20

Thank you so much everybody for your replies

You've really got me thinking about a private apartment/villa now. I was a little worried about hiring a car and driving on 'the wrong side' of the road but know so many people that have done it with no problems I'm sure when it comes to it I'd be fine. When I actually think about it though I reckon it would be perfect to pick up a hire car at the airport (with a baby seat...hopefully they hire those too? Any suggestions of who to hire from at the airport?...Or should I post that somewhere else? ) and in our own time make our way to Puerto Pollensa. It would be lovely to see some of the Island while we're there as well not just stay in one place especially as my Mum's never been abroad before. I really like the idea of having dinner and when we decide to go back to the apartment (with a no doubt sleeping little girl) popping her into her cot and then sitting out on the terrace/balcony and having a glass of vino with my Mum and planning our next day

Now I just need to decide what apartment/villa is best for us!! Any suggestions from people that have stayed in any before?

Ooooooh I'm getting those excited little butterflies in my tummy just thinking about it now!!

Many thanks again everybody for your help

Serendipity x
Old 14-02-2010, 09:53

You will find a great selection of apartments and villas to rent by looking on this site.
Pollensa had added the link to my post above for you.

You will also find a thread relating to car hire with lots of information. Yes you can hire a car seat if you request at time of booking. I did notice though, on my summer visit that many were taking their own car seats. Not sure why but it was August and perhaps there was a shortage. Last summer was not good year to hire a car as you will see from the posts.

I remember also being a little nervous of driving on the other side. I think the majority find that you soon adapt and it feels natural. The problem I have is remembering to change on my return!

Last edited by eleanor; 14-02-2010 at 09:56.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:26

Itis not always essential to hire a car, i know lots of people do, but for me it is not something that enhances my holiday. I worried about driving before we left and when i got to PP, although the drive from the airport was absolutely fine i found i didn't find any need for the car for the whole week!
If you book flights through thompsons for example, you can now book a transfer to resort for £5 each way! or check out companies like resort hopper or local taxi companies in this link
Transport in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca - taxis, bus, trains, airport transfers.

It all depends on where you stay i suppose, i think for your trip it would be nice to be in an appartment on the sea front, so you can watch the bay whilst your little one sleeps with everything near by so if you are out, it is only 2 mins to pop back. There are soooooo many choices, but the site is a great source of info and planning is part of the fun. Happy planning
Old 15-02-2010, 22:11

Thanks for your help again everyone

I first discovered Puerto Pollensa when I was on a transfer coach from the airport and my boyfriend and I were on our way to Alcudia. We drove along the beach front in Puerto Pollensa early in the morning to drop some people off at their hotel. The sun was shining on the glass like sea and I remember thinking that I so wished we were going there and that it looked like my perfect holiday destination....so the next year my friends and I went and absolutely adored it!

So, here I am hoping to share those first feelings with my Mum who's never been abroad and my little girl who hasn't been anywhere at all yet in her little life Lol. I've looked through the apartments and villas and there are SO many nice ones....I'm spoilt for choice (and anyone that knows me will tell you I'm rubbish at choosing things! My friends take the menu off me in a restaurant once I've said what I fancy because they know I'll change my mind 10 times otherwise before the waiter/waitress arrives!! lol) I'm swaying towards the Tonia3C at the moment and have contacted the owner who says it's available when I want it and that the balcony is safe as it has mesh over the rails, they provide a cot and also a highchair if I want one. I've ummed and ahhed about ground floor or above and I've come to the conclusion that so long as the balcony is safe that the views will be great from a little higher up. There isn't a pool but to be honest I think the beach is probably a bit safer for a 14mth old. It's right on the Pine Walk and above a supermarket. Does anyone know it or have stayed there before?

I know you won't be able to tell me exactly what the weather is like that time of year but if it's warm and sunny will the sea be ok for a dip or is it still a bit cold at that time of year? Also, what time does it get dark? (I'm thinking of going the first week of May).

Sorry for all the questions!

Serendipity x
Old 16-02-2010, 10:56

Default !8 months, 41 yrs etc

Serendipidity, It's all about opinions, buy in mine the weather could go either way in early May. If you do not have to go then i would recommend a month later, early June, much better chance of truly summer weather and PP still quiet. Don't worry about the sun being to hot for the little one, the usual precautions are fine.
Old 16-02-2010, 17:19

I have stayed for the first week in May 4 or 5 times and have had an few "off" days, but generally good weather.
I agree that in June is probobly a safer bet for sunshine guarantees, but you will pay more for your flights etc in June.
As for when does it go dark, i think it is about 7pm..ish
Old 16-02-2010, 17:54
Banned

Hi Serendipity

I agree with the above two comments. We usually go for 2 weeks late May/early June and while it's usually very nice in May you always get the odd cool/wet day so early/mid June would be better in my opinion.

The prices shouldn't be much more but there will definitely be an increase. As far as cars go, as you're going for 2 weeks a few days car hire wouldn't go amiss in my opinon. Mallorca is a beautiful island and nowhere is more than just over an hours drive away.

Hope you have a great time and return.

Nick

Last edited by Nick; 16-02-2010 at 18:16.