Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 19:28

Default Unhelpful and unsympathetic owners/agents

We booked our second short break visit of the year to PP back in May staying in a different apartment to usual but in the same block. Unfortunately just after booking the flights and accomodation my OH found out he is being made redundant. Now, we still want to travel as it is quite a stressful time at the moment and OH will probably be glad of the break, but (why is there always a but!?) the week we are due to travel could be his last week in work. I emailed the rental agency to explain our situation and asked what they could do to help as OH doesn't want to miss what could his last week after many years working with good mates, but we won't know until much nearer the time of travel at the end of September. Now no one is booked in that apartment for several weeks before us or after us at all, so what did the rental agents say - pay the balance or cancel and lose the deposit. Now I know it is a business, but we are now thinking don't pay anymore money and if we can go we will book some other accomodation at last minute so this owner and agent have lost our booking in what already looks like a bad time. When we were in PP in May it was much quieter than previous years. Does anyone else think it is not the way to go about bookings in the current economic climate or am I just bitter about the whole redundancy and money issue?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelise80 View Post

We booked our second short break visit of the year to PP back in May staying in a different apartment to usual but in the same block. Unfortunately just after booking the flights and accomodation my OH found out he is being made redundant. Now, we still want to travel as it is quite a stressful time at the moment and OH will probably be glad of the break, but (why is there always a but!?) the week we are due to travel could be his last week in work. I emailed the rental agency to explain our situation and asked what they could do to help as OH doesn't want to miss what could his last week after many years working with good mates, but we won't know until much nearer the time of travel at the end of September. Now no one is booked in that apartment for several weeks before us or after us at all, so what did the rental agents say - pay the balance or cancel and lose the deposit. Now I know it is a business, but we are now thinking don't pay anymore money and if we can go we will book some other accomodation at last minute so this owner and agent have lost our booking in what already looks like a bad time. When we were in PP in May it was much quieter than previous years. Does anyone else think it is not the way to go about bookings in the current economic climate or am I just bitter about the whole redundancy and money issue?
Really sorry to hear that, its happening to us all, I have just been asked to take a 20% salary cut and work a four day week, two weeks before we go.

I would do as you suggest, if they are treating you badly, go elsewhere, even though as a Scot, the thought of losing a deposit kills me!!
Old 15-07-2009, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelise80 View Post

Thats dreadful news. I hope something else comes his way.
It depends on the amount you paid for the deposit really, can you afford to throw it away? I know if it were me and they were treating me like that and not caring about my situation, then I would tell them to get stuffed and lose my deposit. You'll find as September looms closer, there will be plenty of accomodation empty. We were in PP last week for two weeks and it definitely was quieter. I really wouldn't care about either owner or agent if thats the way they treat potential clients. My two cents anyhoo for what its worth.
Matt
Old 15-07-2009, 15:26

Sorry to hear of this.

Would your insurance cover it? Lala
Old 15-07-2009, 16:45

Hi, This is so tough for you. As someone who has a villa which is rented out. We found it was better to use a site such as this and rent out our villa ourselves rather than use an agent. It is much more personal. I feel sure if it was a direct booking and the property was empty then you would have built a relationship with the owner and as such they would try their best to help you in this situation.

I would suggest, if you could afford to, forget your deposit. I know as villa renters, this year is quiet compared to others. We do not use an agent as they seem to charge a high commission which is obviously then passed on to you. You may find you will be able to find a deal nearer the time by going direct. You may even better your accommodation. You may at least not be any worse off. I suggest you look at this site and go direct. Good luck and I hope all works out for you.
Eleanor

Last edited by eleanor; 13-08-2009 at 22:08.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:21

May I say that owners who rent through agents also keep an eye on prices and bookings of their properties and will amend prices through the agents to ensure a fair price for renters. Agents too have last minute bargains from the owners. There would be no point in keeping prices high and not renting! There is something to be said for renting through agents too as they are obviously close by for any problems.
Old 15-07-2009, 21:29

Thanks everyone - we have searched on this site for an alternative accommodation but we are still unsure what to do. The insurance doesn't cover us for redundancy unforunately. I know other people in the same situation and some are thinking go ahead because you don't know when we will be able to afford another holiday and life is too short etc, yet what it comes down to is another months mortgage payment could be spent on a holiday... I think as we are only going Monday to Friday I will leave it and lose the deposit of £50 and if we can go contact owners who do Saturday to saturday lets and see if they would be glad of a booking