Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/)
-   -   Hotel Daina, or the Illa D'Or (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/252-hotel-daina-illa-dor.html)

carl1955 06-08-2007 00:06

Hotel Daina, or the Illa D'Or

Hi All.

We've booked flights for a week early November (Sunday the 4th from Manchester) and have a few options for accommodation. We've wittled it down to two

Hotel Diana £166 for the 2 of us on half board
or
Hotel Illa D'Or £391 for the 2 of us on half board

Which would you choose ????.

Anyone stayed at either of these two hotels ?.

All comments taken into consideration.
(not easy this booking holiday malarkey!!)

Thanks
Carl.

Lala70w 06-08-2007 00:07

Hi Carl,

Not stayed in either although know both very well having used both frequently for drinks/ snacks. Both have good reputations for being nice establishments although I would say the Illa D'or is defo posher.

Personally, I would opt for the Daina simply because the location is better being nearer the centre of town and going in November the resort will be quiet so if you want to have a bit of an atmosphere you'd be better in the centre of town imo. Although even if you had a car and wanted to have drinks and walk home to the Illa D'or it's perfectly do-able (20 - 25 mins along the Pine Walk) but I think maybe not so pleasant a walk in the winter if the weather was wet.

If you went for the Daina think of all the lovely meals out the savings would pay for if you didn't like the half board option!

Either would be great though - it's just down to personal preference.

Have a great holiday.

Lala :)

its cd 06-08-2007 05:07

I think this is quite a difficult one .... I have never stayed at the Diana but have stayed at the Ila d'or .... albeit only for 1 night about 10 years ago, long before they extended and got their 4th star

Both good hotels , quite a price differential ..... on the face of it you would probably go for the Diana

However, personally I would go forthe Ila d'Or .... for just one reason and that is the £390 for 2 for a week is so cheap for such a quality hotel ........ a week in the summer would cost you at least 4 times that.

Yes the Ila Dor isn't so central , but the location is to die for and if you did find yourself stuck in the port in unclemant weather, the taxt fare back to the hotel will cost you less than a couple of Cafe Con Leches .... so I wouldn't let that put me off.

Also , the Ila D'or has an inside pool and Gym for if the weather is not so good ......... though when I went last week in October a couple of years ago , it was lovelly, every day a beach day with the sea still passing the navel test

At teh end of the day it has to be your decision and I am sure you will enjoy whatever option you choose

Dune 08-08-2007 17:20

Having just got back form holiday in Puerto Pollensa I would say snap up the chance to stay at the Illa D'Or at that price.

The Daina looks a nice hotel but it is surrounded by other establishments. OK its central but the Illa D'Or has a great location and the walk to the main part is very pleasant past some nice little restaurants and along the pine walk.

I have not stayed at either but enjoyed walking out to the Illa D'Or for drinks looking back at the rest of the port.

Dave

joey36 09-08-2007 00:55

daina or illa dor

Personally i would pick the Daina because of its position and price (by the way which company were offering the Daina at that price - seems a very good deal)

Cheers joey36

carl1955 09-08-2007 03:07

Re: daina or illa dor

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the input, we've still not decided but having booked the flights at least we know we'll be going.
If we convince ourselves we can rely on the weather we'll probably book the Illa D'or purely because it looks a class hotel and November being low season, the hotel has evening entertainment 4 times a week.
However, ( beter whisper this ) we've been looking nearer to Palma as we feel there'll be more to do if the weather is inclemant, we could get a week h/b at the Rui Palace Bonanza Playa in Illetas for £367 which does get some good reviews on Trip Advisor.

joey36

The Diana was available with Travel Republic at £166 but has now gone up to £184, or self catering at the Diana Apts for £126 ( remember to put - cardstudent in the promo code which knocks off 7.5% off the accommodation price)
www.travelrepublic.co.uk/

The Illa D'or is still available with Thomson at £391 on there "just a hotel"
www.thomson.co.uk/
Regards
Carl.

PeRu 09-08-2007 06:43

Hi Carl,
Why not book with the hotel direct, It would probably be more reasonable than using an agent.Look under Hotels and Aparthotels and you will find Hoposa, which is the name of the group which own the Illa d'Or, Daina etc. The phone numbers are on the site.
PeRu

spudbag 10-08-2007 05:29

Would also recommend booking direct via the hoposa website. Out of season I would definitely give big props to the Illa D'Or which has a good indoor pool, beauty therapist etc.

Had a terrific long weekend there one March. And their in house website gives a choice of room types - a view is worth a few euros....

carl1955 25-09-2007 02:51

Hi All
Thanks for all the input, after much deliberation we've booked the Illa dor.
Did consider staying near Palma, but the lure of PP was to tempting, managed to get the original offer price from Thomson, while the Daina is now over £230 with Travel Republic.
Fingers crossed for the weather.
Regards
Carl.