Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree517Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP76 View Post
SWS,
I wrote the following to our Solicitor in Palma and received the this reply.

In all the time we have owned our apartment and villa we have never rented or taken any type of payment whatsoever, we have allowed my Daughter and Sons sometimes with their friends, my Sister in Law and two close family friends to have totally free use. Can you clarify if this is still legal under the new tourist use of apartments regulations.

As you have never rented or taken any type of payment whatsoever, and have allowed your family and two friends to use the properties for free. This is totally legal and the new tourist use of apartments regulations cannot be applied in this case.

Thats brilliant, thanks very much for that, thats crystal clear now
lollipop and annascotland like this.

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket_Buddy View Post
I really do fear for Mallorca next year, especially for Port de Pollença!
It gets worse when I look at the prices to stay in the hotels/Aparthotels. With the tax ontop of this, I really cant see us being able to come next year!!
I agree, when we were leaving our PP hotel last week we asked to book for next year, they said pices will be up at least 10% on this year. We did not book and are thinking it over, either we stay in PP for a shorter time or find somewhere else to holiday.
joey36, Tommo and Pocket_Buddy like this.
Old 04-09-2017, 17:03

We're feeling the same. Been coming every year for over 20 years and now discussing whether we should have a look at alternatives. Really feel like we're not wanted in Majorca any more.
Old 04-09-2017, 21:42

I've noticed there seems to be a lot of places have been having a bit of a makeover recently. All sounds great, except it seems like they're expecting the customers to pay for it.
annascotland likes this.
Old 05-09-2017, 16:34

''except it seems like they're expecting the customers to pay for it''.

......which is kind of how business works.
debz1, Mark, Bootledodger and 1 others like this.
Old 05-09-2017, 16:49

Using your profits to invest in updating your hotel is fine. But dramatically putting your prices up beacuse your rooms need a lick of white paint, I dont think thats fair. Especially on loyal customers who come to Pollensa more than once a year, every year.
annascotland likes this.
Old 05-09-2017, 17:18

I guess that the better the quality of the property, the higher rental income it can command. Fairly normal business practice it seems to me. If a hotel increases from a 3 star rating to a 5 star rating you would hardly expect the rack rate to remain unchanged.....even for loyal previous customers. The evils of capitalism! LOL
Old 05-09-2017, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
I guess that the better the quality of the property, the higher rental income it can command. Fairly normal business practice it seems to me. If a hotel increases from a 3 star rating to a 5 star rating you would hardly expect the rack rate to remain unchanged.....even for loyal previous customers. The evils of capitalism! LOL
I wouldn't say the star ratings were going up, just bringing themselves into 2017.
Maybe I'm just looking too hard for reasons why the prices have increased so much. I'd prefer not to be in a hotel anyway. I want to be self catering, looking after myself, and taking in everything that Pollença has to offer!
copper likes this.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:17

Default Political Logic

From MDB

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...ls-decree.html

Biel Barceló

"He concluded that, under conditions established in law and subject to zoning eligibility being decided by the island councils, holiday rentals in apartment buildings "will be possible".

It's a it like banning all private cars from the roads immediately and then saying, when we have decided how to tackle the traffic problem sometime in the future, we may allow certain people from dedicated zones to drive them. Meanwhile anyone caught driving will be fined €40,000.

Let's hope he doesn't read the forum for inspiration.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:17
Super Moderator

It seems that Mallorca is not the only place to legislate for private rentals, see this alcudiapollensa: Twisted Knickers: Rentals And Tourist Tax .
annascotland and Tommo like this.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:14

I wouldnt have an issue with the tax, if it wasnt for the high price of accomodation in the first place.
And I wouldnt have an issue with the rental legislation, if they would hurry up and get it sorted! Waiting till july could destroy next summer.
annascotland, copper and P&C@29 like this.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:59

Sparky normally Andrew is spot on but his comparison falls down when you know that in Croatia you can legally obtain a rental licence when you buy an apartment whereas in Mallorca you cannot even apply for at least another year.

In UK when concerns were raised in the 90's about passive smoking, especially after all the publicity about Roy Castles death after spending years in working men's clubs, smoking wasn't banned whilst they worked out a compromise solution but cross party support was agreed with the introduction of a ban on smoking in public places. I'm sure now that most would agree that the health of the nation improved as a result.

Whilst not on quite a grand scale, surely cross party support should have been established in creating legislation that at least maintained or more importantly improved the economic health of the island. Most agree that there should be more control over private rentals, with proper licensing, proof of payment of tax and restriction in certain over developed areas but we are now in no mans land.

What concerns me is that a minority in the parliament has managed to impose their extreme view before legislation is enacted. Any thoughts that they will now suddenly change their mind and compromise in the near future seems to be wishful thinking at best.

One can only hope that Madrid can sort this mess out before it becomes more of a farce. One business closed or one property repossessed is one too many for people struggling in an ever contracting season.
Old 12-09-2017, 13:54

Default Well .....

So I should wait for a wee while before trying to book a private apartment in the hope that the situation will change ?

Just back from a first visit to Tossa de Mar and was thoroughly impressed. Not noisy and lovely restaurant's. However my heart it still with PP but it seems to me that the powers in Majorca are not thinking this through at all. If we cannot get an apartment (need one now that sis is coming out with us again) I will need to reconsider our main holiday some where else.

All those restaurant's that we all use will not be able to be sustained by the no of hotel beds in the area. Please tell me common sense will prevail before too long.

p.s had to pay tourist tax in Tossa de Mar

Scotslizzy
annascotland and Tommo like this.
Old 19-09-2017, 15:26

This is the clearest explanation I've seen so far:

THE 21 ANSWERS TO THE KEY QUESTIONS OF THE NEW TOURISM LAW (VACATION RENTAL) - Illeslex
Old 19-09-2017, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Really can't see many private rentals being available for next season.
Serious consequences for PP.
Rangers1, annascotland and Tommo like this.