Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By debz1
  • 1 Post By Molt de Renou

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 18:36

Default New tourism law to affect holiday rental availability.

once they introduce the new Tourism Laws it will probably be even harder as there may well be less to choose from
Old 08-01-2017, 18:49

Tourism laws? Can you explain?
Old 08-01-2017, 22:27

Basically means that a lot of AirBnB type of rentals will no longer be legal after the new law, due Easter 2107, has come into force.
Old 08-01-2017, 22:32

They are also going to crack down hard on people who rent out their apartments for short term lets ( week, 2 weeks etc ) if they do not have all the proper paperwork and permissions, especially from the community and other property owners in the same building.

This is Balearic Island thing, not just Pollensa.
Old 08-01-2017, 22:58

Andrew Ede from the Mallorca Daily Bulletin summed it up this week!

Pollensa the great exception to the holiday rentals' rule » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin
Sparky likes this.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
Basically means that a lot of AirBnB type of rentals will no longer be legal after the new law, due Easter 2107, has come into force.
Excellent news. Too many people renting when they're not allowed to and not paying tax on it. Thank god the Spanish have finally woken up. Years and years of lost revenue. Crazy.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:39

Nick, I can't quite gather whether you are being serious or not.

Personally I am in favour of this new proposed law which is very similar to the one currently being applied in Cataluña ( Barcelona ).

Since Airbnb came into being, a huge amount of properties that had previously been long term were taken off the market.

This has meant that staff who work or want to work in the local hotel and food industry either gave up trying or had to settle for apartments in Inca or farther afield. Not a big deal in London terms but is here if only earring 1.000 a month and having to fork out travelling costs as well.

This has also meant the locals FROM Inca now have a bigger problem finding rental properties and having to pay more for them.

Whilst the tourist industry continues to be a 6, 7 or 8 month affair this accommodation problem will keep getting worse.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:49
Banned

Oh I'm serious alright.
With holidaymakers not going to places such as Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, some Greek islands etc. renters are cashing in on increased rental markups as it's easy money. Why should they not pay tax? Even at a lower rate if necessary.
What also annoys me is that people who rent out in apartment blocks pay the same community charges as those who don't yet those who choose not to rent have no say in who rents out.
This law is long overdue. I challenge anyone to explain to me how this new revenue claimed and spent enhancing PP and indeed other resorts is not beneficial??
(Assuming and hoping at least part of the revenue goes to local areas).

Last edited by Nick; 09-01-2017 at 10:52.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22

Yes but one thing is tax on the profits ie income tax, which goes to the central government ( Madrid ) and another is the tourist tax which goes to the local one, except for the IVA which is charged on top of this, which also goes to Madrid.

Madrid is extremely keen to get their hands on this money, more so than the local one, and have more information at their disposal to make sure they get it.

Having said this legal rentals properties are able to, and most do, pay a fixed sum every 3 months which more or less covers the tourist tax they would have to pay if accounted for person per person this eliminating paperwork for both parties.

Regarding communities and as you probably know it was previously not possible to legally rent a flat in an apartment building. This has now changed.

If the building is in an area that the local council has determined that renting properties to tourists is acceptable ( not all of them will be ) the majority of the owners must give their permission first. I suspect that in a lot of cases they won't.

The apartments must also be disabled persons friendly ie no steps and have a lift, etc.

After all this has been complied with they then have to purchase a permit from a limited kitty, which means not everyone will get one.

This is the idea. It still hasn't been approved by the local government who are currently more involved in sorting out the squabbles between the 3 parties in charge of administrating out present and future wellbeing.

Worried ? Me ?
Old 09-01-2017, 11:29

Having said that, I suppose I should be as I have just read that the Spanish government during 2017 need, yes need to sell public debt bonds for the amount of 200.000 million euros ( yes 5 zeros ) to cover their requirements for this year.

This probably explains the reason they are so keen to get their hands on the rental market money.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21
Banned

Where do you get all your info from?!
Think you need to reveal your true identity!!
Old 09-01-2017, 13:26

I think he's the fat Spider-Man who works the crowd in the Plaza Major Madrid.
Old 09-01-2017, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Where do you get all your info from?!
Think you need to reveal your true identity!!
Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...crackdown.html
Shaun&Caro likes this.

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 09-01-2017 at 13:36.