Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/)
-   -   Advice please (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/hotels-villas-apartments-pollensa-cala-san-vicente/12195-advice-please.html)

Sherberts 17-06-2015 14:27

Advice please

Hello all. I've booked an apartment in January for 2 weeks in July and have since seen a review from someone who stayed there in April. To say it was negative is an understatement! I emailed her privately and she's gone on to explain a lot more in greater detail about the state of the property. It's managed under a property company rather than direct with the owner so I've contacted them and ask where I stand about having my deposit refunded so I can source alternative accommodation. We are travelling with 2 young children so the review concerns me greatly. Can anyone give me advice on where I stand having my deposit back? I don't want to spend my holiday complaining! Many thanks

Georgiebear 17-06-2015 14:41

It's a difficult one, we all like different things and when reading reviews it's the negatives that always stick in our mind and not the positives, sorry don't know the answer to your question but I hope you get it sorted and enjoy your holiday...all I will say is that when we stay in our apartment we are there for sleeping and showering so I don't mind what it's like! Have you tried google it seems to have the answers for everything......:)

pollensafan 17-06-2015 15:08

Hmm, You say you have seen a review, but that would only stack up on how many you have looked at. If you had seen loads and that was the only one then you would have to put that in perspective. As for a refund. I would have thought you would have to have some concrete reason other than a review of the property. One mans meat as it were.

Georgiebear 17-06-2015 15:11

Are we allowed to know which apartments? Other people may be able to put your mind at ease....

mike_dublin 17-06-2015 15:36

It's a very interesting question.

Couldn't find any specific information googling around and I doubt it's regulated anywhere.

Cancelling your booking based on one(?) very negative review might not be enough of a reason to cancel the booking and get the deposit returned.

Was there any agreement about the deposit being refundable?
The full deposit?
Until what point?

It might well be a good idea to have a common policy for private rentals via the website with the terms clearly outlined?

Sparky 17-06-2015 15:51

As the booking was made through an agent i think it would depend on their T&Cs and you will have to sort it out with them, please do not post the name of the apartment on the forum.

You don't say where you read the review but it is odd that it was the only one, maybe the person who wrote it was very fussy or might possibly have an "agenda" with the owner :confused:.

Georgiebear 17-06-2015 16:11

Why not post the name Sparky? If someone is asking for help surely the only way they will get it is if someone knows and has stayed there...it's the same with restaurants, I've seen a few reviews on here that aren't gleaming and they are named, I know if I wanted help I'd like to know who had stayed there! (Just querying)

Sparky 17-06-2015 16:23

It does not appear that the booking was made through this website and the OP was only asking for advice on how to get her deposit back.

We do not encourage accommodation reviews on this forum but if you want to know the name of the apartment please contact Sherberts by PM. Thank you :).

mike_dublin 17-06-2015 17:06

Still curious about the general approach to (private) rental deposits?

Refundable or not?
If refundable, how long for? (eg time of full payment?)
Can one just cancel the booking until the full payment is due without a reason?

pollensa 17-06-2015 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_dublin (Post 104325)
Still curious about the general approach to (private) rental deposits?

Refundable or not?
If refundable, how long for? (eg time of full payment?)
Can one just cancel the booking until the full payment is due without a reason?

I think that you will find it will always depend on the contract/agreement that you have with the owner/agent for the property. However as this appear to be for a property to be rented in July, I doubt that a deposit would be refunded and quite often the full amount is due 6-8 weeks in advance.

Sparky 17-06-2015 17:24

I guess each property owner will have their own policy on this one :).

Nick 17-06-2015 17:56

No expert but I'd also say it depends on their terms and conditions. Just one bad review? It would also depend on the generosity or good will of the company/owners but I can't see any reason as to why you'd be entitled to your money back?

If you didn't get a refund you'd either have to cut your losses and lose your deposit or go and if it was that bad build a case using photographs/video etc. to state your case.

You could Google the circumstances?

varsp 17-06-2015 18:11

Seeing as you have booked the apt' through an agent, why not ask if they could "swap" you to another apt' on their books, that may suit your needs better. I have done this previously, it's worth a try, noyhing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

mike_dublin 17-06-2015 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 104327)
I guess each property owner will have their own policy on this one :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensa (Post 104326)
I think that you will find it will always depend on the contract/agreement that you have with the owner/agent for the property. However as this appear to be for a property to be rented in July, I doubt that a deposit would be refunded and quite often the full amount is due 6-8 weeks in advance.

Thanks, I was just curious as to whether there's a common approach.

I know in this specific case with the rental being for July it would have been a case of too late most likely.

But I would have thought that the booking deposits would be refundable for private rentals until the full payment is due.
Obviously that might not generally be the case.

The rental properties I looked just state the percentage or amount, not the procedure for deposits in case of cancellation.

Sparky 17-06-2015 19:12

Some do say "non refundable" so i would assume it doesn't matter how long it is before full payment is due :).