Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 15:36

Default Oro Playa Apartments

Can anyone advise on the Oro Playa Apartments. We last stayed there in 2011. We found them to be tired and the pool could have been cleaner etc. I believe they have been refurbished recently and now appear in Jet 2 Holidays brochure and the price looks good. We have stayed in the Puerto Azul apart hotel more recently which was excellent but would like peoples thoughts experiences on Oro Playa?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2015, 16:54
Super Moderator

There is a thread about the Oro Playa here :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...laya-apts.html, some work had been done but that was in 2013.
Old 04-01-2015, 19:44

In my opinion there are many many better places to stay in PP than the Ora Playa

Old, tired,gimey, very strange entertainment ....... You could say I was unqualified to comment as have never stayed there but have visited pp almost 100 times and have visited friends who have stayed there and even years ago when it was open for the whole season it would not have been near the top of my list

Lots of other far nicer apartments both via package holiday and private rentals

I'd give it a miss if I were you

Also I do remember someone posting that they booked the Ora Playa and ended up at the Playa Mar which has a decent enough reputation but from what I have seen can get very crowded and noisy and appears to have lots of the hi de hi type entertainment which some love but others hate ..... Bit like marmite, I guess.
Old 04-01-2015, 23:23

Worst apartments I have stayed in.Even after the refurbishment in 2013.Advise you not to book
animagic21 likes this.
Old 05-01-2015, 19:27

Wow, aint it strange how we all view things differently??

We stayed there for four days last Easter and loved every minute of it. Out of the ten blocks there are two that have been refurbished, one of which we stayed in. I would recommend paying the wee bit more to have a room in one of these blocks. Although not any bigger in size they are modern and quite plush.

Regarding the rest of the Ora Playa I found it to be faultless. The staff were great, the bar is right next to the poool and there were enough beds to go round. There is a pool table and tennis table which suited our family and although the entertainment wasnt great it is probably the same acts that go round the rest of the hotels.

The location is great with the beach a stones throw away and the square 5 minutes walk away.

Whats not to like?
Lorenzo, mikeb and Tangoman like this.
Old 05-01-2015, 22:05

Glad you enjoyed your stay there Hoopy and you are spot on "different strokes for different folks".Obviously Easter is not as busy as peak season when we were there but there was no chance of obtaining a sunbed by the pool as towels were layed down on the beds the night before and the ones that were vacant were broken.
We paid extra for the refurbished superior apartment with no air conditioning in the rooms for the full 10 nights we were there.Every day we complained to the receptionist when it was going to get repaired and fobbed off with the same reply tomorrow tomorrow.
Four nights out the ten no hot water and a few scares with the fixtures andfittings in the apartment falling down.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:56

We stayed there some years ago and it is important to remember people look for different things in their holiday. We had a young family a the time and found it difficult to cope with the entetainment at night. We'd just get the chldren to sleep and the music would start. When it had gone off we managed about 4 hours sleep before the chldren were up and ready to go. But the pool was great, the food ok and the staff good. The pool table tec were good for the children. However we now find it cheaper and more suited to our type of holiday to research some of the great apartments that are available through the web page. Just my thoughts...
Old 06-01-2015, 18:30

I can't believe there are still poor reports about the Oro Playa - this must have been going on for 4 years at least. It verges on taking money under false pretences.
I must admit I am a wee bit biased, as we lost £500 when we walked out due to the abysmal condition of the property in 2010.
Almost without exception all other accommodation in PP is generally to a good standard, with a high percentage in the excellent category.
Plenty of choice at all price points - why waste your valuable holiday time and money on booking Oro Playa and hoping (praying?) everything will be all right on the night.

(2011) Clinkham - I don't want to a doom monger, but quoted below is my post following our visit to oro playa last year (2010). The place was grim - we walked out without opening our cases and booked in and paid again in another hotel. Oro playa closed before the end of the season last year with the suggestion it was to have a major refurb. We were back in PP in April and the place was like the Mari Celeste. Wind blown and derelict with no sign of any refurbishment having taken place between sept and April. As it has taken months to lay drainage pipes and do some crazy paving in the Square, IMHO there is no way 4 or 5 weeks is enough time to bring the place back into use, never mind 'refurbish' it any sort of acceptable standard.
My view my be slightly coloured by the fact I'm £500 down on our holiday last year, but I don't want anyone else to walk into a similar situation. Problem is if you fetch up there then complain -you will just get the standard 10% compensation from the tour operator or waste your precious holiday being transferred to another hotel. If I was in your situation I would look to change hotels before you go - oro playa is the exception that proves the point that other accommodation in PP is generally very good.. If they won't rebook ask for written confirmation that oro playa has been fully refurbished and is of an acceptable standard. If not they will give you a full refund ( unlikely they will agree this but no harm askingAnd. It will demonstrate you are serious)

It's your holiday,your hard earned cash. Don't wait till you on your hols before taking some action. Read all the other posts on this forum. They tend to confirm what I have said above.

Originally Posted by clinkham
"As you will see from my earlier posts we stayed in La Singala last week. (End of June 2010) Now back home and able to take stock. We are both agreed that last week was one of our best ever visits to PP, despite getting off to a bad start at Oro Playa.
Oro Playa is depressingly grim - it needs an immediate and total refurbishment - the apartments were worn out, with cracked and chipped tiling in the bathroom areas. Silvering on the mirror peeling off. Polystyrene ceiling tiles broken, blackened and loose. Beds past their sell by date, possibly with 'dunlopillo' matresses that were in the late stages of decay. I'll not go on - too depressing.AVOID!!!!! "

Thought I might have been a little precious when I wrote this at the end of June, but it turns out I was spot on. We were booked into Oro Playa for 7 days with Jet2 - we didn't unpack - it was terrible. The staff seemed unconcerned that we were leaving so quickly. Wrote to Jet2 and recently got a letter back with the usual 'you should have complained in resort' which is what I expected. Whether it was my letter I don't know, but Jet2 haven't offered Oro Playa since early July(2010).
Old 06-01-2015, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
I can't believe there are still poor reports about the Oro Playa - this must have been going on for 4 years at least. It verges on taking money under false pretences.
I must admit I am a wee bit biased, as we lost £500 when we walked out due to the abysmal condition of the property in 2010.
Almost without exception all other accommodation in PP is generally to a good standard, with a high percentage in the excellent category.
Plenty of choice at all price points - why waste your valuable holiday time and money on booking Oro Playa and hoping (praying?) everything will be all right on the night.

(2011) Clinkham - I don't want to a doom monger, but quoted below is my post following our visit to oro playa last year (2010). The place was grim - we walked out without opening our cases and booked in and paid again in another hotel. Oro playa closed before the end of the season last year with the suggestion it was to have a major refurb. We were back in PP in April and the place was like the Mari Celeste. Wind blown and derelict with no sign of any refurbishment having taken place between sept and April. As it has taken months to lay drainage pipes and do some crazy paving in the Square, IMHO there is no way 4 or 5 weeks is enough time to bring the place back into use, never mind 'refurbish' it any sort of acceptable standard.
My view my be slightly coloured by the fact I'm £500 down on our holiday last year, but I don't want anyone else to walk into a similar situation. Problem is if you fetch up there then complain -you will just get the standard 10% compensation from the tour operator or waste your precious holiday being transferred to another hotel. If I was in your situation I would look to change hotels before you go - oro playa is the exception that proves the point that other accommodation in PP is generally very good.. If they won't rebook ask for written confirmation that oro playa has been fully refurbished and is of an acceptable standard. If not they will give you a full refund ( unlikely they will agree this but no harm askingAnd. It will demonstrate you are serious)

It's your holiday,your hard earned cash. Don't wait till you on your hols before taking some action. Read all the other posts on this forum. They tend to confirm what I have said above.

Originally Posted by clinkham
"As you will see from my earlier posts we stayed in La Singala last week. (End of June 2010) Now back home and able to take stock. We are both agreed that last week was one of our best ever visits to PP, despite getting off to a bad start at Oro Playa.
Oro Playa is depressingly grim - it needs an immediate and total refurbishment - the apartments were worn out, with cracked and chipped tiling in the bathroom areas. Silvering on the mirror peeling off. Polystyrene ceiling tiles broken, blackened and loose. Beds past their sell by date, possibly with 'dunlopillo' matresses that were in the late stages of decay. I'll not go on - too depressing.AVOID!!!!! "

Thought I might have been a little precious when I wrote this at the end of June, but it turns out I was spot on. We were booked into Oro Playa for 7 days with Jet2 - we didn't unpack - it was terrible. The staff seemed unconcerned that we were leaving so quickly. Wrote to Jet2 and recently got a letter back with the usual 'you should have complained in resort' which is what I expected. Whether it was my letter I don't know, but Jet2 haven't offered Oro Playa since early July(2010).
In fairness you visited at least four years ago. Things change, people move on etc.

Eight months ago the refurbished blocks were great as was everything else about the place.
mikeb likes this.
Old 06-01-2015, 21:44

@ Hoopy. Fair comment, Hoopy, but the point I was trying to make was that Oro Playa has featured negatively for quite some while, up to quite recently (see sleepboaby, above, from last summer)
I'm glad you had a good experience. Hopefully it will have improved further this summer, but once bitten twice shy from my point of view.
Old 07-04-2015, 15:18

Passed by here yesterday. Loads of work going on in the accommodation blocks which can only be a good thing.

I like seeing work going on in the port. People investing money in their business can only be good news.
pollensa, Sparky, lollipop and 1 others like this.
Old 07-04-2015, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Passed by here yesterday. Loads of work going on in the accommodation blocks which can only be a good thing.

I like seeing work going on in the port. People investing money in their business can only be good news.
I would love to see the Oro Playa finally receiving the complete and heavy refurbishment that it deserves. It is in a great location, so very close to the beach and the Pine Walk.

Over the last few years it seems to have been operated in a very casual way - Being given a quick spruce-up around April-early May, and then trading through the season until guest numbers fall off. I seem to recall that it closed unexpectedly one year and guests were sent to another hotel in the group.

Hopefully if things are now picking-up again, we can hope for a more long-term investment in this hotel.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 25-05-2015, 17:31

Have stayed here twice - location wise - as a family with three kids we found it excellent - near the beach, within walking distance, if you needed to take one of the children back home. The apartments, while "tired" were spotless and cleaned every day. The staff were very friendly and when we asked about moving to a ground floor room, because of the double pram, the manager was fantastic and moved us the next day. Children loved the entertainment and the friendly bar staff. The pool was busy (it was August) but not overly so and the entertainment was no worse than anywhere else. We also stayed in the Playa Mar, which while a lovely hotel, is woefully short on sunbeds and is VERY crowded in August. Hence we returned to the Ora Playa. While not staying there last year, we did call in at night for a drink and the children loved the bingo. Again staff were very friendly and the atmosphere good. We did ask to see one of the refurbished rooms, while there and they looked good, a big step up from what we had before. As always, it is "horses for courses" - yes, last year, it was still in need of some TLC but having spoken to a number of families staying there, the general feeling was "it gets a bad press". As with lovemallorca above, it would be fantastic to see it getting a decent makeover, it's in a great spot and could be so much more than it is.
LK1960 and mikeb like this.

Last edited by oneport2another; 25-05-2015 at 17:37.
Old 25-05-2015, 20:04

Also passed by this morning and kerb appeal, I'm afraid it does not have! With dirty grey rendering on the exterior, filthy and torn curtains hanging any old how, some large ground floor windows either papered or whitewashed and an untidy reception area, I must say it's not an attractive building from the road.
To be fair I have never stayed inside the hotel so cannot comment about that element but it wouldn't lure me in as it is. Shame, as it looks like relatively minor investment could spruce it up to the standard seen most other places around the port and then the outside may match the parts of the inside others have commented on as positive.
Old 03-06-2015, 15:33

Just another view of the Oro Playa Apartments... We are currently in the middle of a 8 day stay here and have to say we are having a lovely holiday!
We've stayed in many different places over the years in PP, from luxury villas to apartments, hotels and aparthotels.
The old saying that you pay for what you get is mainly true... However we spotted a bargain break for 8 nights at the Oro playa and were just happy to have an extra break in PP (having been here at Easter for a week - at the Playa Mar)
We are very happy and pleasantly surprised with the accommodation at Oro Playa. The room (superior upgrade for not much more money) is very modern, immaculate and extremely comfortable. The refurb is beautifully done and once all the blocks are completed and the swimming pool area has a facelift ( staff have told us this is the next job) I think the oro playa will be hard to beat in terms of position, friendliness of staff and cleanliness.
The children have been entertained really well and all the staff have been extremely helpful and friendly. There is a nightly kids disco and entertainment (which we have missed as we like to go out in the evenings) but the point is that the facilities are there if wanted.
Overall we are completely happy with the Oro Playa and would reccomend it as a safe, family friendly accommodation choice, in a great location.
Hope this helps anyone undecided!
pollensa, LK1960, Lorenzo and 1 others like this.