Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree26Likes
  • 3 Post By Micrho
  • 4 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Rosie34
  • 2 Post By Disorderly
  • 6 Post By CathB
  • 1 Post By pips
  • 9 Post By debz1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 11:09

Default Poo Poo and more Poo

Hi all just got back from 10 days staying in a lovely apartment in the Boquer area which was perfect for us, 2 mins to the beach, 5 mins to the main area.

I felt I had to put a post on though to warn people of 2 issues in the area, firstly, there is a huge amount of dog poo that is all over the pavements in that area, my husband and son stood in it more than once especially walking home at night.

The second issue is the amount of obscene graffiti that covers walls as you walk into the main centre, there is even obscene graffiti on the main pine walk on the front of some of the beautiful sea front apartments.

I've posted this on this site in the hope that someone with connections in PP will feed this back to the authorities there.

We love PP and have been annually for many years but I think we may try somewhere else next year.

M
Rosie34, Ronnie and Nick like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 26-08-2014, 11:42
Banned

You make a very good but unfortunate point there. It's a shame your holiday was somewhat spoiled by dog mess and graffiti. I've often gone on about these two issues.

I think over the last couple of years the dog mess, along with general litter, is being cleaned up somewhat but the dog mess side cleaning is nowhere near adequate enough. It seems that many dog owners simply let their dogs out alone and then let them back in ten minutes later when they've done their business. Some dog owners are ignorant but it happens everywhere.

As far as graffiti goes, another of my bugbears. It is much worse this year and as you say a lot of it is offensive. I've even cleaned off myself "f@@k the police" written on windows near my apartment. I don't want my five year old son reading that.

What gets me more is that tackling these two issues is relatively cheap, easy and not very labour intensive. Graffiti is a horrible American import that needs dealing with. I've no idea whether the local authorities read this forum, but they should.

In the past I've emailed the local town hall (ajuntament) at:

Benvinguts a Pollença

It can be translated into English. Please don't let this put you off returning to PP though.
Old 26-08-2014, 13:01

We stayed opposite the La Gola nature reserve last year and the lovely walks round the 'lake' were always spoiled by having to avoid the dog mess all over the paths It just seems to be a never-ending problem that would be so easy to deal with if the dog walkers could just be educated into using the doggy-poo bags - even they must find it difficult to avoid walking in it
Nick likes this.
Old 26-08-2014, 13:24

Ah...one of Sparky's very favourite subjects!

I think we've been slightly spoilt in the UK because (certainly in the area in which I live) dog owners generally comply with the requirement to "clean as they go" - if you see what I mean.

I don't know what the rules are in PP (or how enforceable they are) but I think that the pavements are much better than they were when I first came to PP 20years ago.....still inexcusable though.

Graffiti is another issue altogether, and one for the authorities as you say. I'm surprised to hear for this and, whilst I did see examples when we were over in the last two weeks, I luckily didn't see anything offensive.

I guess that there has to be a will at local authority level to deal with issues such as these. However, it' still a fabulous place and I'll bet there are far, far worse places in the world to visit.
LK1960 and Rosie34 like this.
Old 26-08-2014, 13:33

Some areas along the front ( La Gola beach area) and back streets are much improved compared to what it used to be and I have noticed more owners cleaning up after their dogs...also there are a few of the bag " dispensers " on the front too. Not before time too

Eating Out
Old 29-08-2014, 17:48

Default Street Deposites

Hi all, it seems the 'Doggy Defacation' is continually improving in our beloved area; I have noticed a difference in the last number of years. I do believe the local authorities are to implement laws soon to counter act dog fowling ... There is no excuse for dog owners (I'm one) not to pick up after their pets, even if they choose to leave it (not forget it) for a while & allow the sun to work its wonders on it, making it a lot easier to pick up !
Old 30-08-2014, 10:06

Yes a never ending problem, where there are dogs you will get poo, as with here there are good and bad owners, the residents have to walk the pavements as well, maybe they don't mind, but it is getting better. Saw graffiti but in Spanish can't read it but very upsetting if you can and it's vulgar or in English especially if you have children. Problem is its dear to remove and they just come back and put more up, like a challenge. Will just watch my step eyes on the footpath to see poo then will be to busy looking to notice graffiti.
scouse mark likes this.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebolt View Post
There is no excuse for dog owners (I'm one) not to pick up after their pets, even if they choose to leave it (not forget it) for a while & allow the sun to work its wonders on it, making it a lot easier to pick up !

Surely if you ' leave it for a while' you still run the risk of someone stepping in it I recently looked after a friends Cockapoo puppy for two weeks as I was getting a bit ' dog broody'. A very appropriate name as it turned out for although he was a gorgeous, fluffy crazy boy he 'went' ...a lot!!! I would never have found all the 'deposits' he did on our walks if I'd gone back to them

Anyway after a fortnight of poo bags and gagging I was cured me of my Cockapoo yearning
sws97sdg, Lorenzo, Rosie34 and 6 others like this.
Old 31-08-2014, 13:29

debz
I meant 'let the sun work it's wonders' if the deposit was off any trodden routes. We do walk miles around PP and I hoping to bring our beloved dog over soon, not to add to the problem though
Old 03-11-2014, 15:29

I think that this has been a problem for a number of years particularly in side streets. We stayed at the Playa Mar hotel at the end of the Pine Walk 13 years and it would not suprise me if the road that we used to cut down onto the PW is now officially called Dog Poo Alley.
Old 03-11-2014, 17:18

Just back from PP and the dog poo seemed no worse than usual - I did notice a lot of graffiti though, even over the wooden maps and signs in our countryside area - why you would choose to make your mark there I have no idea, as there is hardly anyone there to see it. Unless of course it was Mallorquin for 'Brits Go Home'… I didn't notice any graffiti which seemed obscene (though my Spanish isn't great and my Catalan and Mallorquin non-existent!) - so maybe some of it is related to a specific political point? Not that that really makes it any better, of course...