Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 17:38

Default Thefts

I noticed over on another forum covering Pollensa, a thread discussing an alleged rise in thefts from villas in the Pollensa area. A small number of recent renters report thefts from their villas - some when occupied, some not. There was even a suggestion that some of the burglaries may have been committed by those with access to keys.

I appreciate this sort of thing can happen anywhere, especially in these austere times, but in all my years of holidaying in Mallorca it's not something I've come across and certainly couldn't find any mention of it in the recent past on here...

On our last trip we experienced some pick pockets but is this something else to keep an eye out for in the future?

All our rentals to date have had a safe which we've made use off and certainly would never leave the villa unlocked if out or by the pool.

facebook Linkedin Flickr 500px
Sponsored Links
Old 24-04-2014, 17:57

I think it has been an ongoing issue for a while now, Malcolm, and there have been threads here in the fairly recent past devoted to it. We have had items stolen from our villa on several occasions (although not recently) - once it was a piece of garden equipment, once metal shelves from the barbecue (both of these were over the winter while the villa was empty), and once my bag was stolen from the villa while I was in the garden hanging out washing - yes, stupidly, we had left not only the front gate open but the front door (which has glass panels) unlocked, with my bag on full view for all to see... But, in our defence, the villa is in the countryside off a little lane in the middle of nowhere - the police said it was most likely a gang which spent all its time literally cruising around looking for opportunities. Anyway, I say this to make sure that other people are aware that there is a problem in Mallorca - just, sadly, as there is anywhere in the world - and the moral of the story is, make sure you keep your belongings and property secure as you would at home. We have now fitted an alarm - the company through whom we rent out our villa insisted we do this - and also have electric gates. Since taking these measures a couple of years ago, the villa has experienced no further break-ins. The police do periodically have crackdowns on criminal gangs and certainly in the last year or so, I haven't had the impression that there have been as many thefts from homes. But people who live there permanently may know different.
Belladonna, MalcolmS and eleanor like this.
Old 24-04-2014, 21:57

Thanks Kate, i did do a quick search before I posted and didn't spot anything recent. As you say just because you're on holiday there's no reason to be any more relaxed about security. I don't think Pollenca or Mallorca is any worse or different to many other places either.These tales just serve as a reminder to be careful so you can enjoy your holiday...

facebook Linkedin Flickr 500px
Old 25-04-2014, 10:15
Super Moderator

We do have a thread dedicated to this, here :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...curity-pp.html. Although i have not heard of anything specific to the area recently, the police/GC often catch the culprits in fact there is a brief report in the paper today about a gang of robbers being "dismantled", but we all need to be on our guard at all times.
MalcolmS likes this.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:21

I like the sound of the robbers being dismantled!!
Sparky and Nick like this.

On island time!!
Old 25-04-2014, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
I like the sound of the robbers being dismantled!!
sws we witnessed a group of pick pockets being "dismantled" by the police in palma a couple of years ago, although not very pc and their human rights were violated without doubt! it give us the impression the cops in Mallorca are on the ball and don't mess around when apprehending criminals

there were no locals filming on phones to post on the interweb about lack of human rights though, they were cheering the police!
joey36, anne10aber, Sparky and 3 others like this.
Old 26-04-2014, 00:04

Good Policing I would say. Protecting those that deserve it and arresting the bad guys. We were broken into in the Pinaret area 2 years ago. They forced open the safe and stole our sons cash. We no longer leave any cash about even in the safe. For visitors i would recommend using a plastic card of some sort to store the cash so you can withdraw when you need it. Various places like the post office and Travelex offer these cards.
LK1960, anne10aber and Sparky like this.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:34
Super Moderator

Here is the full story from todays Desmantelan una banda por al menos una treintena de robos en viviendas de Mallorca - Diario de Mallorca translated by Google.

Quote:
Dismantled a gang of at least thirty burglary of Mallorca
The eight robbers, two of them minors, crimes committed in the localities where the Inca had a train station

Palma A band of thieves committing crimes in the towns where the Inca had a train station. At least thirty robberies attributed to this organization in just over six weeks. The police arrested eight Moroccan criminals, including two children, by multiple robberies.

Since last February, these offenders displayed a flurry of activity. Complaints of burglaries, especially in the towns of Santa Maria and P˛rtol, were accumulating. The Civil Guard Pont d'Inca launched an investigation to try to solve crimes.

Researchers at the Armed Forces Institute of Judicial Police canvassed the modus operandi of criminals. One fact that particularly caught their attention was always the thefts committed in localities where the Inca had a train station. In addition to Santa Maria and P˛rtol, the band committed misdeeds in Bunyola, Esporles, Puipunyent, Consell, Alaro, Manacor de la Vall and Lloseta.
crimes perpetrated by the very specific time slot. Many of these hits matched times round the railway.

With all this information collected, officers of the Civil Guard in charge of the case set up a special monitoring device on the train Inca. The researchers followed the evolution of certain passengers until finally able to identify the various components of this organized group. All had a history of theft and larceny.

As the investigation progressed, officers of the Judicial Police Military institution able to determine where his home was located. In Palma had his headquarters.

The alleged members of the band held a common profile. All were very young and Maghreb, Moroccan nationality. In fact, the oldest was only 21 years. Among the components of this organization two minors, 16 and 17. Were
on the morning of Thursday, the agents of the Guardia Civil case managers arrested six members of the band, including two minors were old. In the afternoon, they arrested the other two remaining offenders.

During the house search practiced in Palma became clear that this group of offenders had a special predilection for jewelry, knowing that they could yield high returns. Many of the stolen jewels that were of great antiquity and value appraisal is pending.

In addition to this large amount of jewelry, Institute Armada agents involved a number of watches, 15 mobile phones and High midrange, computer, other electronic devices a simulated weapon, handbags, wallets and 1,900 euros in cash.

Leveraging oversights
members gang of thieves creeping into homes usually taking advantage of a neglect of their owners. Through this process, they found the way open to plunder the house at will.

Sometimes criminals perpetrated blows with the inhabitants inside the house. In these cases not staged any confrontation with the owners. Criminals began a quick getaway subtracting valuables at their disposal.

The Guardia Civil operation remains open. So far researchers have failed to establish the participation of eight members of the band thirty theft. It is possible that they acted in other misdeeds.

Over the next week, between 10 and 14 hours, the jewels and other objects recovered the band will be exhibited on the premises of the Civil Guard barracks in the Pont d'Inca, located at number 35 of the Cami de Son Llazet . All persons who have suffered a theft since last February may bring for parts identification bearing the complaint.
Old 26-04-2014, 10:46

What happens to them, are they imprisoned and then deported , or are they given the right of a family life, free housing and benefit's ? Just wondered .
Old 26-04-2014, 12:30
Super Moderator

They have only just caught them so will have to wait until it goes to court to find out the punishment.
Old 26-04-2014, 12:52
Banned

Let's hope the Spanish judiciary is better than the UK farcical one but I somehow think not. Being in the EU we are all tied by the pathetic mob of unelected people in Brussels.

I think varsp may be right and they will be given a house and benefits! Well done to the police for the operation in capturing them though, police everywhere are so often criticised as only the bad is ever reported.

As visitors and owners we must all do our bit in personal security and not making it easy for these low-life's. Don't have a "holiday head" and use common sense.
Old 26-04-2014, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1873 View Post
sws we witnessed a group of pick pockets being "dismantled" by the police in palma a couple of years ago, although not very pc and their human rights were violated without doubt! it give us the impression the cops in Mallorca are on the ball and don't mess around when apprehending criminals

there were no locals filming on phones to post on the interweb about lack of human rights though, they were cheering the police!
I witnessed the 'arrest' of a thief, caught by a couple of british holidaymakers in their apartment in Fuerteventura a few years ago. His treatment by the spanish police when they turned up left me in no doubt whatsoever that his time in custody wasn't going to be at all pleasant!

Conversely, on the one occasion that I've had to ask the local Guard in PP for assistance, I was treated in a friendly, helpful and respectful manner, by policemen who quite frankly couldn't do enough to help.

A big thumbs up from me for the Spanish Plod!
Old 26-04-2014, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Let's hope the Spanish judiciary is better than the UK farcical one but I somehow think not. Being in the EU we are all tied by the pathetic mob of unelected people in Brussels.

I think varsp may be right and they will be given a house and benefits! Well done to the police for the operation in capturing them though, police everywhere are so often criticised as only the bad is ever reported.

As visitors and owners we must all do our bit in personal security and not making it easy for these low-life's. Don't have a "holiday head" and use common sense.
The maximum sentence for domestic burglary in the UK is 14 years imprisonment. Virtually all domestic burglars go to prison
Old 26-04-2014, 14:55
Banned

But hardly any for the maximum term (or indeed anywhere near), it's usually a derogatory prison sentence. Second to acts of violence, including robbery, burglary is the most obscene offence in my book. A violation of one's private property.

P.S. - "virtually all" is not enough.

Last edited by Nick; 26-04-2014 at 14:58.
Old 26-04-2014, 15:26

Yes, I can confirm that they treat these break-ins as a very serious crime - a couple of years ago our car was stopped by very grim-looking Guardia Civil officers at a roadblock close to our villa which had apparently been set up with the sole purpose of catching one of these gangs - would love to see that happening in the UK following a spate of burglaries... Mallorcans will tell you that the vast majority of these criminal gangs are from Eastern Europe, especially Rumania, and that they are indeed deported if caught.
MalcolmS, Nick and roig cat like this.