Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 23:53

Default Unbelievable start!!

We arrived at our apt just in front of the marina on our first night, and after the initial viewing it looked fine. UNTIL we went into the bedroom
My wife found about 30 ants all having a good chew on what looked like a beetle or something. She was convinced it was a cockroach, but it looked to small, but either way she wasnt happy. The Spanish agent showing us around told us "it is a huge problem in Pp, they fly in thru the windows!" But these werent flying ants at all. "Theyre only little animals" she said My wife wasnt happy but i assured her that so e ant spray would do the trick.
So i sprayed the bedroom, then we went out for some tapas and vinho On our return we found all the critters seemed to be dead, but mrs Jiggy still wasnt settled and insisted in sleeping with the light on
The following day we spent most of it on the beach, followed by a great pizza in Little Italy. Returned back at the apt at about midnight, only to find in the bedroom 3 COCKROACHES! My wife was by now totally fed up and refused to sleep in the apt. So we booked the Daina at around 12:30.
Ii must admit the Daina was fantastic but more about that in another thread.
We got up the next morning and phoned the agent. She told us "there is a huge problem in PP with them" Weve heard that from her before. I must admit weve never seen a "huge problem" with either ants or cockroaches in PP in the 4 tomes weve been here. She wouldnt give us the owners telephone number, said she didnt know it, and to deal with any problems with The company who we booked the apt with.
So, we decided to stay in the Daina for the duration of the hol, rather than be dreading coming back to the apt after a night out.
Upon our return home we emailed a compliant to the company we rented it from about the apt ( i am not going to name the apt just yet, incase the company sorts a partial refund out AND sorts the problem out at the apt. If they dont, then its time to name and shame.)
Do you think we did the right thing in leaving the apt? Or do you think we were a bit hasty. It would have ruined our hol staying there.
Sorry about the long post

Last edited by jiggggy; 28-10-2013 at 10:11.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-10-2013, 09:24

OMG Jiggggy That would be my worst nightmare - I cant' stand any creepy crawlies - but cockroaches are by far the very worst sort of infestation. I would have done exactly the same as you did (and like your wife I would have reacted in the same way - I remember a holiday in Sri Lanka with the same problem and I had to sleep with the lights on and a sleep mask). Fingers crossed, we have never seen one in any apartment or villa in PP - YET! I am so glad you managed to get into the Daina and I really hope the rest of your holiday is great and makes up for the awful start.
jiggggy likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 09:42

Thanks Rosie. Thanks to the Daina we had a fantastic holiday. No worries about coming in a night to the roaches. Alls we wanted was a nice clean place to stay. Surely not to much to ask for. I must mention i didnt see one more cockroach anywhere in the resort. So much for the agents '
"we have a huge problem with them" statement.
Thanks for your concern again.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:24
Super Moderator

Jiggs sorry you had a bad start to your holiday. Of course cockroaches and ants are always a problem in hot climates and they do get in to even the cleanest of places but I would say that this year we have had less than last year.

Please do not post the name of the apartment but if anyone wants to know it they can send you a PM.
eleanor and Bootledodger like this.
Old 28-10-2013, 13:43

As Sparky says it is a warm climate problem and not nice. We have had problems with ants in the past and once had a cockroach fly into the pool. He could have landed anywhere but decided our pool looked as good a place as any to dive land. We were actually there at the time. I hate the things and insisted the pool was topped up with the relevant stuff to ensure anything nasty might end up mucho deado! As for the ants you only need to leave one piece of food out or drop a spec of juice or beer and within minutes you will have house guests. This doesn't make the place dirty but unlucky as once you get them they are hard to move on.

Personally I think your argument should be with the attitude of the local agent. Obviously commission comes to mind here and of course they would have the details of the owner or UK agent. I actually feel sorry for the owners here as they are probably paying a lot of money to have agents acting in their best interests and this is not happening. If anyone needs to be named and shamed perhaps it should be the Mallorca rep and not the owner who might have no idea at all that they have a problem.
debz1, Sparky, JMD40 and 1 others like this.
Old 28-10-2013, 14:05

A dead beetle/roach on the first night and then 3 roaches on the second night. These roaches did not just fly in, they seemed to have come in from a large hole, showing water pipes, beside the bed. We werent going to let them spoil our holiday by showing up again on the third day.
I agree with you about the ants Eleanor, but as you said, cochroaches are dirty and spread disease. Knowone should be having them in their apt/villa/home, especially on holiday.
I wont say which apt this was Sparky but surely this is no worse than naming restaurants that have had them?
Old 28-10-2013, 14:41

I agree Jigggy that cockroaches are horrid things and spread germs and no of course no one should expect to have them in their bedroom. I wasn't disagreeing with you and glad you went on to have a good holiday.

What I did disagree with was naming the apartment. I have first hand experience in the past of paying people to look after our property to find later that this they have failed to do. Thankfully we have wonderful people now. I just think the owners have not been put in a position of putting a problem right and therefore I feel it is unfair and not constructive to name them in a public place. From what you said the local agent was as good as useless and had an attitude problem. I think you booked via an agent in the UK? I feel it is the agents who are not doing their job correctly. I'm not saying at all that you should have stayed or you should not have complained as of course you should as no one should be expected to have cockroaches. It is a pity that the owners might not even now be aware of a problem and that is what I think is bad as I do think they should be given the opportunity to sort this. The apartment sounds as if it is in a lovely area and would probably rent well but if they are renting via agents then they will not take the complaint as seriously as the owner. Unless their commission was at risk!
jiggggy, Sparky and Rosie34 like this.
Old 28-10-2013, 14:59
Super Moderator

Yes I agree with Eleanor, the booking agents need to sort this out for you Jiggs and I hope they do so quickly.
jiggggy and eleanor like this.
Old 28-10-2013, 20:09

We also had a cockroach problem in July in a house we rented through this site. Like you, we were told (by the owner) that cockroaches were a big problem in PP this year. We also had cockroaches in an apartment opposite the marina in August. We just took the very British approach of not making a fuss. But it is not nice to come back after an evening out to find them scurrying around the place. We won't stay in either of those places again.
jiggggy likes this.
Old 29-10-2013, 11:55

Default Pests in various properties

Sadly the large cockroaches do fly. I had often wondered where the beasties came from....and usually just sweep them out with a brush as I think that they are part and parcel of Mediterranean life. Not at all nice though to have in your accommodation.

Whilst cleaning up to go home in September, I was up early with just the kitchen lights on and it was still dark outside.... and a HUGE cockroach flew in and tangled briefly in my hair : When it landed on the floor tiles I could see that it was just a big cockroach (and thankfully not a spider!! ) and swept it out.

No wonder a lot of the local restaurants have those fine mesh panels on their open windows and bead curtains on their doorways....
debz1, Mark, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 29-10-2013, 13:17

The really luxurious villa that we rented in the countryside between the port and old town had a few cockroaches ( this was our October 5th to 12th holiday)

That's the first time we have had a problem with them in 11 years in the countryside area.

We where OK upstairs, it was my mums ensuite shower room downstairs that was the problem as they could get up through the plug hole and where too big to wash back down again with the shower spray

The plug hole leads to the septic tank so you know where they have been

Only a minor problem as there was another shower room and bedroom that was OK so we put a glass jar over the cockroach plughole for the week.

This was the most bling and luxurious property we have ever stayed in so they do get everywhere sometimes.

Ants where easily deterred with ant spray and there where a lot of ants this October for us.

Its the only downside to a long hot summer I guess
debz1, JMD40, pansy potter and 1 others like this.
Old 29-10-2013, 14:55

I can't believe this thread - It's the Med, a beautiful warm climate, what do you expect? I've rented 5 bed, 5 bath luxury villas in the area and there's always critters - no problem, just kill them.
If "Mrs Jiggy" doesn't like it - cooler climes might help????
debz1, JMD40, pansy potter and 2 others like this.
Old 29-10-2013, 15:07

You might enjoy sleeping with cockroaches mate, but we dont.
As for "what do you expect?" I expect a nice clean living place for
myself and yes "Mrs Jiggy" to relax without her being stressed out by cockroaches!
All my time in PP ive not seen one in any villa/apt /hotel.
Too much to expect?
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 29-10-2013, 15:09

Never seen one either inside anywhwre we have ever rented although have seen a few out and about, Mrs SWS would have gone ape just the same if that had happened to us!!!
jiggggy likes this.

On island time!!
Old 29-10-2013, 15:11

I don't enjoy cockroaches "mate"....but accept it is part and parcel of warmer climates....
JMD40 likes this.