Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 03:13

Question Making a late booking

We (my husband and I) have spent the last week trying to find some accommodation for 2 weeks starting this coming Saturday...for various reasons we left it a bit late this year to book. I don't know if it's just me, but what's been noticeable is the number of owners who for whatever reason just don't respond to enquiries about their properties, or take several days to respond, or don't offer any kind of reduction for such a late booking. I 'm not suggesting that that should be an automatic thing, but you would imagine they would prefer to have the thick end of 1000 euros in their pocket rather than someone else's.....especially if it's money they weren't expecting to get!
One owner also wanted to add on 50 euros to the rental charge for cleaning....isn't that just all part and parcel of the on costs of renting out your property and usually included in the calculation of the rental charge?
We've stayed in a variety of accommodation over the last 15 years of holidaying in Puerto Pollensa and fortunately there is a huge choice to suit all budgets, but I for one have wondered if some people aren't really that bothered whether they let them or not. Maybe they just aren't and it's that simple :confused.
varsp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-09-2013, 08:29

Do you know we say exactly the same as you about owners not bothered about renting my husband works shifts so we can never travel Saturday to Saturday and on making enquiries to apartment owners they will not rent to us if they respond at all we have seen several apartments sat empty when we have stayed in others due to the owners inflexibilty or lack of response. Luckily we have now found a lovely apartment we go to regularly but it is always fully booked as the change over days are so flexible, though it is for sale so we may have to start our search once again for next year .
annieh and varsp like this.
Old 15-09-2013, 09:01
Super Moderator

There are always a few properties listed here :- Late Deals in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Majorca (Mallorca) - Rent Villas Apartments
pollensa likes this.
Old 15-09-2013, 10:12

I wonder if there are a couple of issues here. Firstly to have flexible booking can be difficult. The season is a short season for renting and to have a flexible arrangement may not suit all property owners. It can actually cost a few weeks renting over the course of the season. To run from a set weekly day can ensure that a full renting season is achieved. Also many owners do have to fit in with cleaning arrangements which may not be so flexible. There also comes a point where to lower the rental fee makes it not worthwhile to rent. The cost of cleaning, laundry, etc etc are very high so after paying tax it may not be worth the wear and tear. There have been many discussions on this before!

I also wonder if the recent licence problem has a lot to do with the lack of response. I know for a fact that many apartment renters have decided not to risk by renting out and some have actually removed their advertisment from various sites. The fact that it is deemed illegal to rent a private apartment and the threat of heavy fines have left some people feeling very vulnerable. This doesn't help the person wishing to rent of course but might be a reason why they are finding difficulty.
Old 15-09-2013, 11:01

I think there may well be 2 separate issues, but why show your property as available if you aren't going to expect enquiries? Doesn't take a lot of time to send a quick response, even if it's just to say 'no, sorry'. And quite a few of these properties were obtained from this website, which surprised me even more.
It wasn't so much the changeover days for us, as we can be flexible to a point, just the general air of disinterest from some owners. With regard to cleaning, in 15 years we've never had an extra 50 euros tagged on to the rental cost for cleaning, maybe that's a new thing. We always leave it clean and tidy anyway, just as we would our own home.
Anyway, we eventually have found somewhere that we are very happy with so the gnashing of teeth and hair tearing is over for another few months!
Sparky likes this.
Old 15-09-2013, 11:07
Super Moderator

So pleased you are sorted Annie .
Old 15-09-2013, 11:08
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieh View Post
We (my husband and I) have spent the last week trying to find some accommodation for 2 weeks starting this coming Saturday...for various reasons we left it a bit late this year to book. I don't know if it's just me, but what's been noticeable is the number of owners who for whatever reason just don't respond to enquiries about their properties, or take several days to respond.
If you really are looking for Last Minute, I would always recommend that you telephone owners after sending the Email enquiry. All of our properties include a telephone number at the bottom of each individual property on puertopollensa.com/rentals and as already mentioned several owners promote their Last Minute Availability & there are plenty (over 20!) for w/b 21 Sep at the moment.

Ooops. Our posts clashed! Am glad you found somewhere but the advice applies generally. We do regularly remind our advertisers to update their calendars but I'm afraid that not all do.

Last edited by pollensa; 15-09-2013 at 11:11.
Old 15-09-2013, 17:52

Glad Annieh is sorted. Just to pick up on one point regarding a lack of response to a enquiry. It actually works both ways. I always send out comprehensive information regarding my villa as well as the area and various places of interest etc. All of which takes time. I try to be as helpful and informative as I can but you would be surprised just how many times you wonder if your email has been lost in cyber space!

I do sometimes wonder if manners are lost behind a keyboard!!
debz1, pansy potter and Papillon like this.
Old 16-09-2013, 08:17

Agree completely Eleanor my husband goes to great lengths giving information and in most cases doesn't even get a reply to say thanks . It really does go both ways !!
eleanor likes this.
Old 16-09-2013, 22:26

Just wondered if anyone thinks it is busier than normal at the moment...friends of ours looking to come to PP next week for the first time and have been checking hotels..Pollensa Park,Flora Park,Puerto Azul,Daina apartments,Hostel Bahia,Sis Pins are all fully booked ...is there something going on that we dont know about

Eating Out
Old 17-09-2013, 05:56

We always reply just out of common courtesy, as that is what I would expect, but agree about manners! Sadly lacking in many areas.
Old 17-09-2013, 09:28
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
Just wondered if anyone thinks it is busier than normal at the moment...friends of ours looking to come to PP next week for the first time and have been checking hotels..Pollensa Park,Flora Park,Puerto Azul,Daina apartments,Hostel Bahia,Sis Pins are all fully booked ...is there something going on that we dont know about
How are they checking? I've just checked for 7 days beginning 21 Sept using the Search Box at the top of our hotels page Hotels, Apartments - Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Mallorca Majorca and several including Flora, Daina Apts & several others are available.
Old 17-09-2013, 10:55

hi pollensa they want 28/9 for 7 days..i have been through all options .alpha rooms etc and even direct..its mad

Eating Out
Old 17-09-2013, 11:44
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
hi pollensa they want 28/9 for 7 days..i have been through all options .alpha rooms etc and even direct..its mad
That's a shame. There are still hotels available for those dates just not the specific ones you mentioned. Are they looking for something specific?

And of course another option is a Last Minute Apartment or Villa - we have several for w/b 28/09 puertopollensa.com/rentals/last_minute.php

Last edited by pollensa; 17-09-2013 at 12:06. Reason: Added Last Minute Rentals
Old 17-09-2013, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Just to pick up on one point regarding a lack of response to a enquiry. It actually works both ways. I always send out comprehensive information regarding my villa as well as the area and various places of interest etc. All of which takes time. I try to be as helpful and informative as I can but you would be surprised just how many times you wonder if your email has been lost in cyber space!
It's great that you go to so much trouble to help but if you include a lot of information and any links or pictures in an email it will probably get a high spam score so many of the customers that will be using free email services like hotmail or gmail will never see it as it will be in the junk mail and maybe missed.

It is worth checking the emails you are sending with a site such as this:
Is Not Spam - Online Spam checker for newsletters and email marketing to check if it gets a high spam score.
there are many other such sites ( usually trying to sell something though)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...MsephAf2_oDQCQ
eleanor likes this.