Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Holiday Shopping

Holiday Shopping Includes useful links to on-line shopping for travel essentials.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 17:08

Default Lightweight luggage

Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy lightweight luggage? Or a particular brand?

This year I'm really conscious of the luggage allowance - we have just 15kg each and the suitcases I was looking at today weighed between 3.5kg and 5kg empty!

We're flying with Ryanair and they won't let you transfer the weight between cases which we've always done in the past.

I'm also going to invest in a luggage scale from Amazon! And buy all my toiletries at a supermarket in the port!!

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 30-04-2008, 18:05

Hi Jane,

We got cases last year very reasonably priced from Poundstretcher/ In store. Don't laugh! Having had a case burst open in the past (which was borrowed whoops!) I wouldn't invest in expensive luggage now. Have you seen the way the baggage handlers throw the cases about?

The secret I think is smaller cases. I use 2 soft-topped, expandable smaller cases with plastic wheels so that even when they are stuffed full they come in at around 20kgs. Tougher than a holdall but lighter than hard-sided cases.

I buy the toilettries in PP now and I am really strict about how much clothes we take (plan mix and match wardrobe with military precision and restrict hubby to the exact number of shirts etc - Ok sad I know but it works) I have also considered hiring the beach towels once we get there but they are good for wrapping around the bottles on the way home.

Lala
Old 30-04-2008, 18:21

Thanks, Lala!

We have two good cases but one of them is huge! We'd normally pack this one for hubby and me and it normally comes out at about 22kg. We'd then have another one for the children at about 18kg.

With Air Berlin we could share the weight around as long we didn't go over our combined allowance but that's not possible this year as Air Berlin no longer fly to Palma and, as I said, Ryanair won't let you share!!!

Having the villa means I can wash and iron but I don't really want to be spending my holiday chained to the ironing board!

I will check out your recommendation! Maybe I can buy disposable clothes? So that on the way home I can just bring back bottles!!!

Jane
Old 30-04-2008, 20:04

Jane

Debenhams do a Tripp lightweight range - their website often has them on offer. I agree with Lala - smaller suitcase seem to be the way forward.

Sharon
Old 30-04-2008, 20:15

Thanks Sharon,

I will go and check them out!

Jane
Old 30-04-2008, 20:43
Super Moderator

Hi Jane i had the same problem, flying with Spanair on saturday only 15 kgs each. Hubby weighed our 2 suitcases = 10kgs empty so he went into Plymouth market and bought 2 holdalls with wheels net weight = 5kgs and they were on offer only £13 each, sorted . I have packed today and there has been a drastic cull of clothing and shoes because i am paranoid about excess charges coming back loaded with my ciggies and all the other stuff hubby simply has to buy.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27

I always buy toiletries in the UK but with the view that I will not be bringing any of it back. I then know that I have some weight to play about with so I don't have to worry too much when I buy shoes and handbags!!
I saw some light Antler cases in an Antler outlet store - think they were 3.5 kgs per case. However they were also about £40 each!
Old 08-05-2008, 15:42
Founder

Has anyone managed to buy any Hand-Luggage bags that are the exact dimensions quoted by the airlines i.e. 55x40x20cm that is light-weight & has wheels? I've looked at several & many are much larger in one dimension (so won't fit in those racks they have out) or much smaller.

You'd think that someone would bring out a bag that matches those dimensions & doesn't take up most of the weight allowance!
Old 08-05-2008, 16:56

Yes, we had trouble getting the right size and light-weight but found that Debenhams Tripp lightweight wheeled hand luggage fitted the bill exactly.
Old 08-05-2008, 17:48
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariquita View Post
Yes, we had trouble getting the right size and light-weight but found that Debenhams Tripp lightweight wheeled hand luggage fitted the bill exactly.
Thanks Mariquita. Do you know which one you have? There seem to be rather a lot!

See http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...5&pageSize=999
Old 09-05-2008, 10:41

I have the superlite cabin suitcase for £39.
Height is 49cm, width 34cm, depth 17cm, weight 2.3kg

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...9865_464223_-1

Other half has the express cabin case for £35
Height is 48cm, width 33cm, depth 18cm, weight 3.2kg

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...9865_556317_-1

It was quite difficult finding the size limit imposed by Easyjet as their height restriction was less than other airlines and most handluggage was more than the 55cm height restriction stated.

The cases were a good size and managed to accomodate between them: three laptops, two pairs of shoes, four books, a handbag, plus a few other odds and ends.

Last edited by Mariquita; 09-05-2008 at 10:44.
Old 09-05-2008, 15:30
Founder

Thanks will have a look at Debenhams this weekend. We're going out to PP for a long weekend so I've not booked any hold luggage with Easyjet.

I have now come across the Samsonite NRG 55 which is the exact dimensions allowed but at £85 rather pricey - see http://www.ebags.co.uk/samsonite/nrg...?modelid=73445
Old 09-05-2008, 19:14

Default Lightweight luggage

Had a look today at the Tripp range in Debenhams and saw the items mentioned on the link.

Some of the soft bags weigh about 3.5kg and I might do something there, especially as they are fitted with wheels and the extendable handle.

Another place worth a look might be TK MAXX if there is one near by for anyone looking. We got a new case a few years ago in there at about half the price you'd pay elsewhere, and given the weight constraints nowadays, we are looking further at lighter and possibly softer bags.

The Jane Shilton range we saw somewhere recently. We might also have a further look atthem. Soft bags are great if you have to squeeze luggage in to a car, same capacity and so much better than a large stiff unwieldy case!

Just love the description on the Tripp items of "with kissing zips"!!
Old 09-05-2008, 20:43

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations! My two are off to Tenerife at the end of this month with their grandparents and I was told today that they are allowed 15kg each. OK for my son, but for my daughter...!!

We have a TK MAXX near to us so I might pop down next week and have a look. Plus, I'm going to order that little luggage scale from Amazon. I'd hate to incur excess charges for my parents by packing too much!

Jane
Old 10-05-2008, 18:10
Founder

As an update I went to Debenhams today & bought the cabin suitcase above. It was the only one that fully met the demensions allowed (it it's very pretty!) & it seems massive. When I got it home I realised that it was about the same size of an old small suitcase that we used last weekend on ryanair to Florence & put in the hold. By the way, it weighs 3.2 kg & the not the 4 kg on the Debenhams site - I've just weighed it.

So I think you can quite a lot in for a few days & if you use one of these in addition to your 15Kg allowance for hold luggage, you'll have plenty - but it means initially having 2 cases each at the airport.