Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   General Feedback (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/general-feedback/)
-   -   closed thread (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/general-feedback/5689-closed-thread.html)

Disorderly 21-02-2010 22:53

I must say that I find all this rather disappointing. I always thought that the idea of this forum was for opinions to be expressed freely (within the bounds of decency).

Over a period of time I've seen some fairly heavy-handed moderation - I think that is a shame.

klad1 21-02-2010 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 40137)
I think the point Jane was trying to make is that every time Tex Mex gets mentioned on here, the debate always ends up the same, there are those who love it and those who hate it.
And then as happened on only the 4th post Bony's get dragged into it, eventually it all degenerates into a huge slanging match with members being abusive to others.
This has happened so many times in the past and not just TM and Bonys, who could forget that terrible verbal attack on Belladonna (re: Latitude) because she felt the place was not as tasteful as it was under the old management.
I haven't seen the offending sign but agree it should not be allowed to remain and if it is still there when i go back i will have a word with the powers that be.

P.S, I forgot to add that i think we all have a right to know about these things, whether we own, rent or just holiday in PP.

Excuse me Mrs Super Duper moderator but would you care to elaborate on your comment regarding the "terrible verbal attack" on Belladona. I actually take offence at what you have written as it was me exchanging views with Bella and it was not a terrible verbal attack. I had actually eaten there at the time and Bella hadn't. To be quite honest I dont think Bella took any offence the way you seem to have done. If you look back at the thread as I have just done there is a post from you thanking me for my comments.

Why on earth do we have SUPER moderators anyway what is wrong with moderator. I am with those who think this moderating lark is getting officious and heavy handed.

jiggggy 22-02-2010 00:12

And you all wonder why posts get closed!! :rolleyes:

Chemical Dave 22-02-2010 00:59

I agree this forum is moderated more tightly than others I am on and I don't like it either, but the site owner can set the policies and moderate how they like. You can either accept it or go elsewhere. That is the harsh reality.

The policy on this forum seems to be more for providing information on PP than discussion. Personally I don't see what is wrong with talking about Bony's or Tex mex. You dont have to read them and as long as no one is abusive or breaks site guidelines then let these posts run their course till people get bored or have run out of things to say.

I would rather have an active and lively forum than one filled with bland, meaningless one liners.

Adios

Dave

robjay 22-02-2010 01:16

Sign of Changes?

If you don't like what Mr Tex mex is doing to PP then do what I do......vote with your feet!!!!! Does he care what you think?..........I doubt it!!!!!!

He owns many places in the town and plans to open even more of the same.....these places are earning him money!!!!!

Bony's????? Does the owner listen???? Tell Jose how you feel and see if the owner listens. If not........vote with your feet.

I am just back from PP and I have to admit that that area of the square looks like a tacky street corner in Magaluf.

Support the places in the port that try to improve the town and badly need your custom to survive.

Sparky 22-02-2010 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by klad1 (Post 40186)
Excuse me Mrs Super Duper moderator but would you care to elaborate on your comment regarding the "terrible verbal attack" on Belladona. I actually take offence at what you have written as it was me exchanging views with Bella and it was not a terrible verbal attack. I had actually eaten there at the time and Bella hadn't. To be quite honest I dont think Bella took any offence the way you seem to have done. If you look back at the thread as I have just done there is a post from you thanking me for my comments.

Why on earth do we have SUPER moderators anyway what is wrong with moderator. I am with those who think this moderating lark is getting officious and heavy handed.

Hello Klad, i was not referring to you. I was actually talking about someone called "Bathsheba" who was very abusive towards Bella, she was consequently banned from the forum and her posts were deleted.

jiggggy 22-02-2010 02:01

Sound advice Rob, but the problem is alot of peeps, like me, enjoy Bony's and Jose. I think he makes the square , with his humour and quirkiness. I for one will continue to enjoy his overpriced, but large drinks. this is only my opinion of course. Lets face it, it's a love or hate place and we could argue it til the cows come home, but we'll never change peoples views about this institution

the wizzard 22-02-2010 02:15

Hi

Have I come at a bad time ? Getting controversial or what ???

You may remember me from the 1st impressions thread. The guy who
spent so long perfecting his masterpiece of a post (he thought) that
he got timed out twice.

On my first post on that thread I tried to get over the point that
we all have different point of view etc, what gives me a great 1st
impression might not do it for you. And Vice Versa. We are all a bit
different in taste,outlook on life etc. :)

Will get back to that thread later.

I am as you know a "newbie" on here but have viewed this forum
for ages. Its great. My view of a discussion forum is that is what
it says it is, to discuss topics, not argue them, exchange views
and opinions etc, but keep it fun :D

Back to 1st impressions ?

Pine walk ?
Tramuntana Mountains ?
Stay ?
The Square ?
Los Z ?

Don`t stand a chance against that sign do they :) pure class isn`t it !!!

Don`t lower the tone guys :(

Keep PP clean

The Wizzard

klad1 22-02-2010 03:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 40209)
Hello Klad, i was not eferring to you. I was actually talking about someone called "Bathsheba" who was very abusive towards Bella, she was consequently banned from the forum and her posts were deleted.

I read this forum a lot and missed that obviously. Am I correct in thinking that if you express a view that doesnt conform with moderator management you get banned?? This site would be nothing without the forum expressing genuine views and experience.

cherylbb 22-02-2010 10:02

I think Sparky said that Bathsheba was very abusive & therefore got banned, not for not conforming to moderator views. I think people need to take a deep breath & calm down!

gary 22-02-2010 12:02

I always find it's best to close a thread (with a double knot!!), otherwise we risk it falling apart at the seems;)

Gary

El Gordo 22-02-2010 12:37

Just my Opinion - Don't want an Argument!

Thanks Cheryl

Some sense at last! Sorry I take that last comment back in case I upset someone!

I'm afraid its a sign of the times where people have become quick to reply before careful consideration of what they really meant to say!

It becomes far too personal. Lets have the reviews, good and bad, but not the continued criticism without recent experience to quote.

For example, I have spent and enjoyed many a night at Bonys in the past but have not been for a long time. It has changed over the years, and also I have changed.

As I have not been recently, I will not join in and continue to say its good or bad just to give my opinion.

If we keep to telling of our recent experiences, you are quoting recent opinion not opinion based on some distant experience.

If I don't like somewhere I wont go back. I will not continue to give my opinion until I have been back and wish to share my fresh experience.

I think this site is for providing relevant recent information which by nature must include your opinion on a recent experience.

I don't think the forum should be a chat room as then it will get personal with people disagreeing with one another and consequently becoming an argument.

Lets get back to passing on information on our recent experiences.

Thanks Zelda for continuing to provide this facility.

LK1960 22-02-2010 13:19

Yes thanks Cheryl, and very well said Hola its GL. Hopefully the forum can now get back to what it does best.

its cd 22-02-2010 13:27

This forum is the only forum I have ever really been an active member of........ before I found it, I had stayed away from forums because they appeared to encourage confrontational comments, they would have members who would jump upon opportunities to be controversial and would often seem to be there to create an opportunity to debate; disagree; pick fault rather than inform.

When I first found this forum, the thing that attracted me to it was that it felt like a "nice club", people were always respectful of one another’s views, people accepted that others would have a different opinion and to be frank people knew that some things had the potential to inflame and just didn't go there; that led to a nice warm welcome feeling when you entered the forum.

There was hardly ever any moderation, but that was because there was no need to moderate - the members did it themselves.

Think about a situation where you are invited to dinner at someone's house; you are there with a group of friends and you and the hosts know that lots of the group have very strong feelings about something. The conversation veers towards something that is related to the "difficult topic”.
I would suggest that most people will choose at this point to steer the conversation away from the contentious issue to avoid embarrassment for the host, rather than throw in a comment which has potential to inflame. We follow this etiquette when dealing with people face to face, so why not on the forum?

So, back to the thread in question - imagine you were together face to face with a bunch of people who have strong positive and negative views about Tex Mex and Bony’s and every time the subject comes up it raises the same old arguments and makes for a not very nice atmosphere; you all know that what you need to do is agree to disagree and leave it there.

Someone makes a comment about the dreadful new sign that just happens to be up at the Tex Mex, this is new information and hasn’t previously been discussed by the group. You all believe it is dreadful (how could anyone not) and at this point you are all in agreement. Would you then just throw in a comment regarding the fact that another establishment had a similar sign and it hadn’t been criticised when history told you that raising the subject of the 2 places in the same sentence ALWAYS caused controversy and ill feeling?

I don’t think many people would, and the reason they wouldn’t do this is out of respect for the hosts and the other group members, because they know that making such a comment would send us all off down the same road again and actually lose our ability to have a sensible debate about the offending sign.

So if we would normally apply such etiquette when face to face, why don’t we do the same on the forum?

I understand why the thread was moderated, but I feel sad that we have come to a point where we need such moderation.

El Gordo 22-02-2010 13:41

Thanks CD

for such a well thought out summary of what most of us would have liked to say if only we could have thought of it!!

PS I only wanted to say thanks but that was too short for a post!!!