Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > General Feedback

General Feedback Use this area to provide general feedback on the PuertoPollensa.com web site. Suggest new sections, tell us what you like and don't like.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 12:14

Default Beware pop up ads

While composing 3 posts today I got three ads pop up and open pages. One of these was stopped by my Norton security saying its is a known malicious website.

Beware!
Sponsored Links
Old 17-03-2014, 12:48
Super Moderator

I have "Pop-up blocker" enabled on my laptop .
Old 18-03-2014, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have "Pop-up blocker" enabled on my laptop .
So do I Sparky, but even at this moment I have 4 pop ups when hitting this (PP) site. One is for secret moments, another is for Sixt and another just says Mesaje importante, another from evo.

Someone has has hacked your site I think. I only get it on the PP site
Old 18-03-2014, 09:49

Do you mean the sponsored links adverts, I don't get anything!!!

On island time!!
Old 18-03-2014, 10:33

I have found that a malicious adware programme has been installed called PursuePoint which is the cause of the problem. It only started when i accessed this (PP) website

It can be found and un-installed through control panel. Problem solved
Old 18-03-2014, 10:50

It doesn't look like its malicious, you can use it to save money and claim coupons, details here, easy to remove as you said!! probable not from here, have you downloaded something recently? !!

"PursuePoint is a browser extension, plugin or addon for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, also called a Browser Helper Object for Internet Explorer and is most likely responsible for the PursuePoint advertisements. The PursuePoint Advertisements are everywhere once you installed this PursuePoint adware into your browser. PursuePoint delivers Deals as Coupons for websites as Expedia, Amazon, Walmart, 1-800 Flowers and more. It does so by showing popups on the website you are visiting, or a ‘see similar‘ button. A large toolbar of some kind may also appear in your browser or a small ad appears showing you how many coupons there are available for that specific website with text “PursuePoint ads” or “powered by PursuePoint”. This adware is spread thru different locations. You may be downloading it from there official site because it saves money while shopping online, or you may have got it bundled with some fake update or free download you installed on your computer.

This adware is made for one thing, and one thing only. To investigate your browsing behavior using domains as superfish.com to make money. Once you use a coupon that PursuePoint delivers to you, PursuePoint producers make money or at least benefit from it. When we got this installed on our honeypot we got it bundled with a Download Manager called Tuuguu SL.

On island time!!
Old 18-03-2014, 10:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
I have found that a malicious adware programme has been installed called PursuePoint which is the cause of the problem. It only started when i accessed this (PP) website

It can be found and un-installed through control panel. Problem solved
Glad you have sorted the problem, i thought it was strange that you were getting them even though you had enabled the "pop-up blocker" .
Old 18-03-2014, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
It doesn't look like its malicious, you can use it to save money and claim coupons, details here, easy to remove as you said!! probable not from here, have you downloaded something recently? !!

"PursuePoint is a browser extension, plugin or addon for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, also called a Browser Helper Object for Internet Explorer and is most likely responsible for the PursuePoint advertisements. The PursuePoint Advertisements are everywhere once you installed this PursuePoint adware into your browser. PursuePoint delivers Deals as Coupons for websites as Expedia, Amazon, Walmart, 1-800 Flowers and more. It does so by showing popups on the website you are visiting, or a ‘see similar‘ button. A large toolbar of some kind may also appear in your browser or a small ad appears showing you how many coupons there are available for that specific website with text “PursuePoint ads” or “powered by PursuePoint”. This adware is spread thru different locations. You may be downloading it from there official site because it saves money while shopping online, or you may have got it bundled with some fake update or free download you installed on your computer.

This adware is made for one thing, and one thing only. To investigate your browsing behavior using domains as superfish.com to make money. Once you use a coupon that PursuePoint delivers to you, PursuePoint producers make money or at least benefit from it. When we got this installed on our honeypot we got it bundled with a Download Manager called Tuuguu SL.
I cant think of anything that I downloaded recently, but it seemed to have started with this website. It was a real pain, covering half the screen with adverts and opening up new windows. My pop up blocker was enabled and Norton didn't stop it. There is a lot of discussion on the web about it, some describing it as malicious. Fortunately it is easy to get rid of once you have identified it
Old 18-03-2014, 15:04
Banned

Interesting. I've been getting similar "pop-ups" on other websites. I've had to recently change my browser and now Mozilla Firefox. I have McAfee security with my BT broadband package. Knowing nothing about computers where is the pop-up thingy? Is it through the control panel?

I buy quite a lot via the internet because of choice but these annoying pop-ups are a nuisance.
Old 19-03-2014, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Interesting. I've been getting similar "pop-ups" on other websites. I've had to recently change my browser and now Mozilla Firefox. I have McAfee security with my BT broadband package. Knowing nothing about computers where is the pop-up thingy? Is it through the control panel?

I buy quite a lot via the internet because of choice but these annoying pop-ups are a nuisance.
The malware that I had was pursuePoint but there are probably others. To delete a programe go - Control Panel>programs>uninstall> scroll down list to find the unwanted program> click on it then click uninstall.

The pop-up blocker can be accessed by - control panel>network and internet>internet options> privacy tab> tick turn on pop up blocker>apply
Old 19-03-2014, 23:46
Banned

Thanks, will do that.