Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flora & Fauna (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flora-fauna/)
-   -   A rare heron in La Gola. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flora-fauna/7296-rare-heron-la-gola.html)

Sparky 25-04-2011 09:27

A rare heron in La Gola.

I read today that the rare Squacco Heron known locally as a "Toret" has been spotted in the wetlands area "La Gola", these rarely come north of Africa. Three other herons have been seen in Albefera.

lollipop 25-04-2011 18:34

We were lucky enough to be in the Albufera a couple of years ago when the Squacco Heron was there. Must take a walk around La Gola and see if it is still there.

whaleywanderer 26-04-2011 10:25

I think we saw this bird last week in the water off La Gola. Do you know what it looks like? The bird we saw was like the small white heron but with black markings.

Sparky 26-04-2011 10:42

Whaley i found this on Google :- squacco heron - Google Search

whaleywanderer 26-04-2011 10:52

Thanks Sparky, however, this is not the same bird that we saw. When I get round to putting my photos on the pc I will post a photo of the bird that we spotted, never seen one before. Hubby also counted 34 baby ducklings, there were only 2 or 3 adult ducks so they will be busy keeping all those little ones out of trouble.;)

lollipop 26-04-2011 12:34

There was one group of ducklings with Mum crossing the seafront road one day last week. Will try to work out what it was you saw in La gola,when you post picture.

pescador2009 26-04-2011 13:29

Always interested in the birdlife around P.P. - the feathered variety of course!
The Squacco is among a variety of Herons seen regularly along the road at S'Alufera Nature Reserve beyond Alcudia as well as at the nearer Albufereta area between P.P. and Alcudia.
The various Herons include the Squacco, Night Heron, Purple Heron and also the Grey Heron that we can see here in the U.K. Similar birds to be seen near P.P. are the Bitterns, Egrets, Ibis, Water Rails, etc., etc.
The latest monthly 'bird list' issued by S'Albufera Nature Reserve contains about 120 different species. Many of these birds are residents, some migrants, therefore the list of species and number of birds continually changes on a regular basis.
Great to receive the report of the Squacco at the upgraded 'La Gola' nature area, I'm sure the number of species reported there will grow as it matures. 'La Gola' makes a pleasant short nature walk any time of day, but earlier and later in the day probably best. Lots of Butterflys & dragonflys as well as birds.
Excellent number of pictures of the Squacco on your 'google search' Sparky, never seen so many in one place before.

Sparky 26-04-2011 13:43

Thanks Pescador, if you "mouse" over the photos it tells you where they were taken and a few are from Albufera and local areas.

kate1 27-04-2011 11:38

WhaleyWanderer, we too couldn't believe how many ducklings they seemed to have compared to the UK! One female had at least 20 - assume they were all hers because they were sheltering underneath her wings from the rain! Maybe it's because there are no foxes in Mallorca to act as predators? Sadly we didn't see a heron but now we have visited La Gola for the first time we will definitely be back - it's a lovely spot for a stroll and will be even nicer in the future when all the new trees have grown. Shame about all the dog poo, though, WHY don't the council provide some free bags and bins - it has worked a treat in our local park! Anyway that's getting off-thread so I will desist...

Sparky 27-04-2011 12:12

I think La Gola will get better and better as it matures, lets just hope that all it's users treat it with respect, enjoy it and leave it exactly as they found it!!.

frito 27-04-2011 20:28

La Gola

There is a torrente that leaves La Gola, goes past the petrol station and then goes under the road and round the back of Eroski.
Two mornings ago five ducks were crossing the road with large numbers of ducklings in tow.
I went round to the left-hand side of Eroski and in the stream at the back were dozens of ducklings. They must be part of the wildlife on the Gola.

Cheers!

Frito:)

TonyFerguson 04-04-2012 21:19

Squacco heron in Porto Pollensa Apr 3 rd 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 57506)
I read today that the rare Squacco Heron known locally as a "Toret" has been spotted in the wetlands area "La Gola", these rarely come north of Africa. Three other herons have been seen in Albefera.

amazing! I have just joined the forum because I saw the reference to the Squacco Heron. I saw one yesterday from the rooftop of my apartment which is beside Villa Concha and c200 metres (as the heron flies!) from La Gola. It was flying southwards towards Albufereta:)

pescador2009 04-04-2012 23:47

Keep looking - good chance of spotting Egrets on the beach at PP, fishing along the waters edge. Also the possibly of seeing Osprey overhead / fishing further off the beach.
Certainly you should see both of these and much, much, more at the Albufera Nature Reserve near Alcudia, or at Albufereta which is nearer PP.

Sparky 22-05-2012 12:35

Just found this link posted on FB by Hotel Miramar :-

Wix.com La Gola2 created by in4576 based on Reg top menu 3 | Wix.com

sws97sdg 22-05-2012 12:46

Thanks for finding that Sparky, thats looks a great site!