Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flora & Fauna (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flora-fauna/)
-   -   Almond Blossom (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flora-fauna/5524-almond-blossom.html)

scarlett 14-01-2010 14:06

Almond Blossom

I have read Feb in Mallorca is beautiful because of the Almond blossom,we are coming out in feb will we be disappointed?.
scarlett

Belladonna 14-01-2010 16:49

It really has a lot to do with the weather I'm afraid. The blossom should be out, but obviously if it is still windy and rainy, or colder than usual, then that throws nature a curve! We have been out in Feb and in the snow at Valdemosa and the oranges are on the trees. You may have to do a little driving around to explore the island and find an almond orchard or two that is in bloom. Not all of them come out at the same time.

ray 14-01-2010 20:38

The blossom recently has been mid to late january. Agree with belladonna it's a bit hit and miss. Orient is a good place to check it out if you're driving around

whaleywanderer 15-01-2010 12:47

You can usually see quite a lot of almond blossom on the journey from the airport.................................. hope you're not arriving after dark!

scarlett 15-01-2010 23:01

Luckily no,in the afternoon.Where is orient Ray mentioned?.
thanks
scarlett

Belladonna 16-01-2010 13:08

Its an area in Bunyola, but cant remember exactly whereabouts, so you will need to look on a map!

Mark 16-01-2010 13:31

Some links :)

Orient location on google maps:

Orient, Bunyola, Balearic Isles, Balearic Islands, Spain - Google Maps

panorama photos on a site:
Orient, Mallorca - Panoramic Earth Travel Information
(Move your mouse around on the top picture, also some good Pollensa photos on that site)

little bit of information.
Orient < Villages < Reports < Mallorca @ MallorcaWeb

Plenty of almond trees in villa gardens around Port Pollensa and Pollensa old town, have a drive around the small country lanes.

One of the Villas we have rented in February has a few almond trees in the Garden.

The blossom smell is lovely at certain times of that day, I cant remember if the smell is strongest early morning or at dusk, but certainly stronger at some times of the day.

I can almost smell the blossom just by thinking about it :)

Must eat some marzipan or almonds now, has made me hungry for an Almond taste....

Mark

scarlett 17-01-2010 13:48

As i have only ever seen pictures of Almond blossom,the thought of the smell was a wonderful thought,we are coming out on the 18th feb for 10 days,can't wait to smell the blossom,we have been over a lot of the island before,this is new experience.
Thanks
scarlett

Nick 30-01-2010 19:57

I returned from a week in PP last Sunday and just outside Pollensa going towards the motorway there were several trees in white and pink blossom, so I don't think you'll be disappointed scarlett.

I'm off out again mid Feb for another week so let's hope there's loads of blossom about !!

Will be a while yet before we get any here that's for sure !!!

lollipop 31-01-2010 13:24

!8th feb last year was too late for the majority of the blossom,depends as said before on the weather. Unfortunately the wind has a habit of blowing a hooley just after the blossom is at its best. A really good trp is to drive to Randa from where you are supposed to be able to see the whole islands blossom,unfortunately we went last year (Feb half term) and most had gone.

scarlett 01-02-2010 18:32

Thanks,that always happens here in uk,the minute you get some lovely blossom about along comes wind and blows it away.My friend was in PP for half term last year and she said there was some about so fingers crossed.

El Gordo 03-02-2010 14:49

We usually have a trip to Randa in February to catch the blossom. Search for the trip report on this site, also the photos on flickr (link below)

I have been told that some of the plantations have a new variety that blossom later, after the frosts are over, to yield a more reliable crop.

ray 04-02-2010 20:59

Today the blossom has really started for real, weather permitting, it usually lasts about a fortnight, so do your spotting and smelling soon after you get here!As well as Orient and the other places mentioned, just by PP in Campanet it also looks impressive every year

scarlett 05-02-2010 21:24

We're gonna have to get moving then,we dont get there for 13 days,lets hope those gales that were blowing this morning don't ruin all of it.Thanks for all input very much appreciated.

ray 05-02-2010 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett (Post 39439)
We're gonna have to get moving then,we dont get there for 13 days,lets hope those gales that were blowing this morning don't ruin all of it.Thanks for all input very much appreciated.

Just been around some of the villages, a lot of the older trees are out but the younger ones have a bit to go yet, so you should be ok,also Valdemossa has some spectacular sites of almond blossom and most of that hasnt really started yet. You probably know that there are pink and white blossom,one is male and the other female, one is sweet and edible and the other is bitter.Do you think this may start an argument on which is which??