Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Flora & Fauna

Flora & Fauna Especially for the botanists and twitchers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 22:37

A debate Ray, a debate!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 13:46

No i never realised Almond blossom was different colours and sexes,just as well mentioned it,having never seen it before i might have got confused,i love blossom.From Gordons photos the flower looks large,is it.The day after arrival we are on a mission to find the almond blossom,my husband dosn't quite share my enthusiasm.
scarlett
Old 06-02-2010, 14:46

I hope you can get some lovely photos of both colours before the rain ruins them and starts turning the petals brown.
Old 06-02-2010, 15:05

I hope so too,it says in a Mallorca guide book i have you must go in Feb to see Almond blossom,its starting to sound harder then you think,but give it a go.
Do you mind me asking, BellaDonna is that after the plant,or were a Stevie Nicks fan,or still one come to that.
scarlett
Old 06-02-2010, 17:04

LOL! That has been discussed before actually! It was a clever play on words - well I thought so at the time! Either the Italian translation of Beautiful Lady, or the poisonous beautiful flower! Depends what mood I am in - also, Bella was my grandmother's name so it all seemed to come together beautifully!! ..... as will the almond blossom ~ just to keep on track!

Good luck with the searching, we did try it just once in February, but ended up being content with the oranges in the snow at Deia eating hot potatoe cakes and churos with hot chocolate!

Just found this whilst following a link;

Between January and February, coinciding with the flowering of the almond trees, the island of Mallorca takes on a spectacular beauty. The flowering almond trees, with their different pink and white shades, are particularly attractive to photographers, painters and to all lovers of nature in general. As a matter of fact, in Germany and other countries special trips to Mallorca are organised just to see the important scenic values of the almond blossom.

The main area of almond production on Mallorca is in the central-west, particularly Marratxí, Bunyola, Santa Maria, Sencelles, Lloseta and Selva amongst others. This area, due to its microclimate is the most productive of Mallorca. The South West also deserves special mention and the municipalities of Manacor, Sant Llorenç and Son Servera. Nevertheless, there are almond trees all over the island.

Last edited by Belladonna; 06-02-2010 at 19:55.
Old 06-02-2010, 17:51

Bella donna is Italian not Spanish but I don't think Hermosa dama has quite the same ring to it!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 19:56

Thats what I said silly!
Old 06-02-2010, 20:25

Senora astuto!!! You changed it
Old 06-02-2010, 20:54
Super Moderator

Hi,
I have done a bit of research and according to Wikipedia, there are 2 types of almond trees. One is the "Sweet almond" and the other is the "Bitter almond" the sweet almond usually produces white blossom and the fruit is the nut which we all know, the bitter almond usually produces pink blossom and the nut from that is used mainly for medicinal purposes.
Old 07-02-2010, 14:19

Thats very interesting Sparky.
Also interesting for Almond lovers who may be out at the moment is the the first Almond Fair being held this weekend at Cases De s'Hereu in Son Servera.
Organised by the town council as well as ministries of Agriculture and Tourism it runs - sorry RAN now oops! - all Sunday morning showing how flowers and fruit of the almond are used in local produce. Did you know they also make almond bread? I'm not sure I have tasted that but will look out for it. Although ofcourse, if they actually mean almond cake, then I have had lots of it! Will be interesting to see if there is actually a bread.
The official name of the fair is "Fira de la Flor d'Ametler", the same name as the almond flower perfume, and one to remember for next year!

Last edited by Belladonna; 07-02-2010 at 14:33.
Old 07-02-2010, 16:58
Super Moderator

Ooh!! Bella, "Almond Bread" i will have to ask some of my Mallorcan friends about that, it sounds good.
Have any of you ever eaten food cooked on a BBQ or in an oven using almond shells as fuel?. I have and the taste is absolutely divine, if you ever get the chance ......do try it.
Old 07-02-2010, 17:03

Looks like I'll be scrumping for shells then next summer!
Old 07-02-2010, 19:40

Almond shells for the BBQ sounds lovely. when we were in Mallorca several christmases ago on the way to the airport we went in Carrefour,we brought home with us,a flattish cake bar which was full of almonds and the outside was chocolate,my husband actually wanted it i wasn't so keen,always watching what i eat,well i had to try,it was gorgeous,does anybody know what i am talking about,was it just special christmas cake,i can't remember what it was called.
Also will i have to start new thread for this,what about orange blossom?,i have heard smell is gorgeous,the island must have its share of that too.
scarlett
Old 07-02-2010, 22:08

I have googled Almond Bread and there are different recipes for it which include yeast. However if you google majorcan almond bread only the recipes for Almond CAKE come up. So they are definately two different things and seeing as my daughter in law has a bread machine I think I will ask her to give it a try. If someone finds Almond Bread sold in a bakers,please let me know where. I think the locals may think we are asking for the almond cake though, so a bit of work may be necessary when enquiring Sparky!
Old 08-02-2010, 13:47

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Hi,
I have done a bit of research and according to Wikipedia, there are 2 types of almond trees. One is the "Sweet almond" and the other is the "Bitter almond" the sweet almond usually produces white blossom and the fruit is the nut which we all know, the bitter almond usually produces pink blossom and the nut from that is used mainly for medicinal purposes.
I think that's what I said earlier without the techno bit?