Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flora & Fauna (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flora-fauna/)
-   -   Hoopoe Bird (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flora-fauna/4472-hoopoe-bird.html)

Major Tom 07-04-2009 16:27

Hoopoe Bird

I have spotted a pair of Hoopoe birds (the feather variety) in PP by the
Hotel Illador, they look like woodpeckers with a crest on their heads.
The name is pronounced Hupu yes may be a bit sad to some people
the weather has turned wet so started to study the flora and fauna
instead of climbing into a bottle !!

El Gordo 07-04-2009 17:13

Great to see the birds are still being spotted around PP. They used to be regularly spotted towards Boquer where the new apartments are creeping up the hillside.

They appear quite comical in their antics. A bit crow like but much prettier with an Indian head dress!! and are more pleasant to listen to.

They are probably looking for food and are targeting the 5 star Establishments!!!

I am no twitcher, just appreciate seeing the local wildlife.

its cd 07-04-2009 23:35

Kingfisher spotted in feb In similar area

El Gordo 08-04-2009 16:25

Amazing!! I thought they were only seen on riversides. Although hard weather may force them to the seashore.

its cd 08-04-2009 16:53

definitely a Kingfisher ...... dipping in and out of the pond in our garden not far behind the Illa D'Or

Interestingly , the only reasonI knew for certain it was a kingfisher( I don;t know one bird from another really ) is because I had seen one the previous summer on the edge of the Sea in Angelsey North Wales .......... my aunt was with me and she really knows her birds

med777 22-06-2009 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by plackeyman (Post 29153)
Hotel Illador....

Just saw a single hoopoe near the Hideaway... and not sad at all pm ! :cool:

slipalong & lola 04-07-2009 10:27

hoopoo

Just back ourselves and in 4 weeks only saw 2 of the strange birds. Im' no twitcher but have always looked out for these beauties whenever in P.P. Two years ago I spent the whole 2 weeks and never saw one untill our last night down by Ill d or our 2 yr old Grandson stopped and sat down on Pine Walk right next to a feeding Hoopou. It never took any notice of him at all and actually walked right up to him. Cheers Slipalong:)

Belladonna 05-07-2009 15:33

We saw a about 6 of these together when we were driving round Al Canada last year, by the time I got my camera out and switched off the engine they had taken flight again. Not knowing at the time what they were, when I described them to a good friend SHE said they were woodpeckers!!
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago whilst sitting out on the balcony in Llenaire, we saw a couple flying round and setting down on the grass close by. We did happen to find a picture of them and knew at last what they were. They seem to be increasing now and how lovely that is, they are stunning looking birds - NOT to be confused with woodpeckers at all!!! May well buy debs a bird book - not at all related to above!;)

Diver Val 09-07-2009 08:59

also seen these birds

Quote:

Originally Posted by plackeyman (Post 29153)
Hotel Illador, they look like woodpeckers with a crest on their heads.
The name is pronounced Hupu yes may be a bit sad to some people
the weather has turned wet so started to study the flora and fauna
instead of climbing into a bottle !!

We have also seen these birds in Gommar, at the back of our house there is a sort of wood, and we frequently see them in the trees. Just beautiful. !

Keep looking

Diver Val