Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47

Default Monarch

Monarch are advertising flights from their new base at Leeds/Bradford to Palma. Flights don't start till March next year though. Let's hope this enables even more people to visit our beautiful Island.
Mark, Sparky, Lorenzo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 11-08-2012 at 10:52.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23

That's great news and, hopefully, competition for Jet2 and Ryanair, whose prices are, largely, becoming increasingly extortionate.
Old 11-08-2012, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat318 View Post
That's great news and, hopefully, competition for Jet2 and Ryanair, whose prices are, largely, becoming increasingly extortionate.
Totally agree - our flights with J2 for May next year are £200 more than this year but I had booked them the week before Monarch announced their flights from LBA We could get the same package with more luggage allowance for more or less the same price - also Monarch have taken over J2's 7am slot and now J2 depart at 6.30am
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13

We have always found Monarch to be fair with their charges and 9 times out of 10 come out cheaper than the likes of Easyjet, Jet2 etc. Don't even bother to compare now if Monarch's price is acceptable.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 19-09-2012, 13:29

Due to fly out of East Midlands with Monarch in the morning and have had an email to let me know that due to their expansion they do not have a plane for us we will be flying with another carrier. Have done a bit of googling on this and its not looking good as they have been using an old Lithuanian plane apparently. So hopefully will be in the port on Saturday after a couple of nights in Soller but might be sat at home wishing we had stuck with Jet2 from Leeds...
Old 19-09-2012, 14:30

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, Monarch don't just use this Lithuanian Airline they use many others.
If Monarch wants to charter another aircraft they have many many options with so many charter airlines in Europe! I don't think they will keep an alliance with a particular airline. (Especially not the Lithuanian one after what happened before )

Monarch wrote this on their blog to reassure clients about what they really mean when they say they aren't using their own planes.
Hopefully it should ease your mind slightly
Monarch Blog | Why is Monarch using wet lease aircraft?

Infact I am pleased to say after a fair bit of research your flight tomorrow (ZB7420) will be operated by Air Italy on a Boeing 737-430 (Registration: I-AIMR) The same kind of plane Jet2 use
This particular plane has flown your route for the past 4 weeks, and trust me Air Italy is a very reputable company and very friendly. A Thomson plane I was supposed to go on from Palma to Bournemouth a few years back went tech. and Air Italy was called in last minute to fly us back!
If you want to see a picture of your plane tomorrow click HERE.
Enjoy your time in PP!
sws97sdg, LK1960, Sparky and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Sea Captain; 19-09-2012 at 14:38.
Old 19-09-2012, 15:11

Sea Captain - I thank you - and if you see me in the port on Saturday evening I will buy you a drink ( I will be easy to spot as I will be in a Hull FC shirt after finding somewhere to watch the rugby play offs - probably Bar Med) I am not a happy flyer at the best of times so this has made me feel a little better
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 21-09-2012, 16:24

Many thanks for your kind offer, but as many know I may not be able to legally drink yet Very kind of you though so thank you.

As some of you may have seen there was an incident at Birmingham airport this morning involving yes... the feared Lithuanian charter plane and was operating for Monarch at the time.
Monarch released a statement:
Monarch | 2012 News - Flights - Monarch flight ZB467 21st September 2012 | Flights News

Just to assure anyone travelling with Monarch, what is happening is Monarch are taking over BMI baby routes now they have ceased operations. They also have many new flights lately but don't have enough planes to cover them!
So they are using charter airlines and basing them at different UK airports.
As you saw above Aurela Air is doing Birmingham flights (not sure if they will any more) and Air Italy & Small Planet are based in East Midlands etc. There are others aswell but this "old Lithuanian plane" is one of only 2 in the fleet so I wouldn't worry.

I just wanted to say however if anyone is flying with Monarch and wants me to check which airline will operate the route I'm always here
Even if you haven't booked yet just a flight number will do.
Mark and Sparky like this.
Old 21-09-2012, 16:34

Thanks for the update Sea captain.

This is on the BBC website, it could not be much worse for Monarch.

BBC News - Birmingham Airport plane skids off runway

We are flying with them for the first time soon, hope it's not my last ever flight
Old 21-09-2012, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Captain View Post

I just wanted to say however if anyone is flying with Monarch and wants me to check which airline will operate the route I'm always here
If you have chance to look we are flying from East Midlands on Saturday 6th October on flight ZB7422 and returning on 20th October on ZB7423 if you can find anything out that would be great.

My wife does not like flying at all so I might have a problem.....
Old 21-09-2012, 17:06

Hi Mark, not a problem at all.
Fortunately East Midlands is pretty ok with operators.

And luckily, as far as I can see you are the same as joelise above. The plane currently assigned to fly your route is the Air Italy 737 (I-AIMR) going and coming back.
I loved Air Italy and they are very good so you shouldn't have any problems

However by the time you go to fly, Monarch may have put one of their own planes on. But I will let you know closer to the day!
By the way just yesterday this video was uploaded showing the Air Italy plane at East Midlands! Air Italy B734 & Small Planet B733 @ East Midlands - YouTube
lollipop likes this.
Old 21-09-2012, 17:49

Thanks for that Sea Captain.

I feel better about it now and our flights where free* with free* suitcases and free* pre booked seats so not too bothered about it and when else would we get to travel Air Italy and the cabin crew might be Italian looking

(Free* flights required a little bit of computer work, I will start a thread about it )

Monarch are getting a bashing in the comments on facebook, a few comments about the brakes a few days ago and then an incident happens.

https://www.facebook.com/Monarch

It could be worse as FlyLo are on standby

-

-

smg, cherylbb and roig cat like this.
Old 21-09-2012, 18:02

Don't make me laugh Mark
And yes you will notice the cabin crew wearing bright red and green uniforms to match the green seats on Air Italy

Monarch have just announced they are terminating their contracts with Aurela Air.
lollipop likes this.
Old 25-09-2012, 11:20

Default Air Italy

Just as a word to back up what has already been said, we have just got back and were on the Air Italy aircraft. No real problems when you consider it is a very old aircraft (as are most of Jet 2 ) and there are signs of wear but the crew were excellent in both directions and I wouldn't hesitate to fly again with the company. By the way, the Monarch staff at EMA ( on the outward flight 11 Sept ) said the substitute will be until the end of October.

Last edited by Tonsyl; 25-09-2012 at 11:24.
Old 27-09-2012, 16:48

Just back from our trip to PP and just have to say we found the whole Monarch experience sadly lacking when compared to Jet2
The queue at East Midlands to check in was long and slow moving, the Air Italy plane was dirty and the seat in front was broken so the person was just about laid flat out onto my knee going, especially on take off coming back the pull down tray was taped up as that was broken and my husbands seat didn't want to stay upright. The crew were struggling with the English language as the announcements at times were incomprehensible. The check in queue at Palma was once again slow moving and they kept calling for certain flights to go to the front as the queues were taking that long.
We will not be flying with them again and certainly could not recommend them