Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   10 kilos = 8 nights holiday??? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/8983-10-kilos-8-nights-holiday.html)

emmalou 29-06-2012 20:35

10 kilos = 8 nights holiday???

I am coming over for a sneaky "cheap!" extra hols with my partner. When we booked the flights I said confidently that I could definately manage with just hand luggage (10K) for our 8 night break at Hotel Bahia. Think maybe I was being over confident!!! Just wondered how many other people manage with just hand luggage when they dont own a property in pp!! Any tips?? :confused:

Lorenzo 29-06-2012 22:37

8 night's holiday with just 10k hand luggage

I think you will be fine Emmalou! :) It's so hot in PP at the moment, that you will only need light clothes.
Also, you could just leave all your toiletries at home and buy them locally in PP. Or you could top up with small travel size toiletries at the airport and make do with those.

I'm pretty sure you can also take any unused toiletries to the Allen Graham charity shop in Puerto Pollensa - they send them on to a women's refuge in Palma - so they do go to good use. The charity shop is also a great place to find a handy beach towel or cover-up too! Oh yes, and some books to read as well :) Take back anything you don't want to them at the end of your stay and that will leave room for a new pair of shoes to take home or a nice bottle of Macia Batle from the airport shop!

Sparky 29-06-2012 23:00

Emmalou you will only need light cothes so even in a hotel can just wash and wear ;);).

barefoot 30-06-2012 08:43

Emmalou, I have a friend who comes over every year for a week, and she manages to get everything into a small sports bag! Go on girl, you can do it!

its cd 30-06-2012 09:08

And remember they don't weigh you yet so wear your heaviest shoes and wear something with big pockets and pur heavy things into your pockets ..... Then transfer item with pockets and content into one of those small lightweight carry bags once on plane ..... No one weighs or counts the luggage as you get off !

pollensa 30-06-2012 09:09

Am afraid I have an apt so it's easier for me but my friend came with me last year & only had hand luggage (& I didn't have to lend her any clothes!).

The trick is to wear as much as possible at the airport but ensure that these are wearable holiday clothes, wear your heaviest shoes & just pack light sandals/flip flops & do read http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...reat-tips.html - sad as I am, I actually went on a 'holiday packing' workshop a few years ago.

Another tip re washing stuff out is to wash your underwear in the shower (whilst you're in it (the shower), of course!)

emmalou 30-06-2012 10:34

Thanks for all the tips, much more confident now. Good idea to take a plastic bag hadnt thought of that also going to roll my clothes. I know where the charity shop is ... When i came out at easter my daughter kept winning teddy bears in the arcade at the Flora, so she took them into the charity shop and they were chuffed. Unfortunately there was an appeal for stamps fo a horse sanctuary ...... Yes you guessed it when she comes over in two weeks we are bringing loads of used stamps!!!! ;-)

clinkham 30-06-2012 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensa (Post 72951)

Another tip re washing stuff out is to wash your underwear in the shower (whilst you're in it (the shower), of course!)

Too much information!! :eek:

anne10aber 30-06-2012 15:05

Its easy to travel with 10kg. If you just think that your checked in case weight is 15kg unless you travel Jet2. Most cases weigh 3kg so you only gain 2kg of baggage. One tip I haven't tried yet is the vaccum bags. Sounds a good idea but only if there is a hoover at your destination for the return.

romanb 30-06-2012 17:39

Not sure what suitcase you have but I recently purchased a sub zero, world lightest suitcase from Argos. Theres alot more room than the average hand luggage bag/case and it is very light!.

pollensa 30-06-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by romanb (Post 72972)
Not sure what suitcase you have but I recently purchased a sub zero, world lightest suitcase from Argos. Theres alot more room than the average hand luggage bag/case and it is very light!.

I have a sub zero one too. It is extremely light & much lighter than the one I had from Debenhams that weighted 3.5 Kg which doesn't leave much out of 10Kg when I have to bring a laptop too..

car77 30-06-2012 21:50

Another suggestion is to sneakily prebook a case in!!!!!:)
I too would always say - Oh yes, of course I can do hand luggage, but in practice NO WAY!!
Car 77

anne10aber 30-06-2012 21:50

My cases are Debenhams. Weight is to much but it did make me consider how much we manage to pack and I was surprised at how much you could get into a 10kg hand baggage. Dont think I will ever go back to a checked bag. You are out of the airport so fast and in your apartment or hotel within an hour of landing.:)

El Gordo 01-07-2012 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkham (Post 72965)

Originally Posted by pollensa

Too much information!! :eek:

Even better...Don't wear any!!!:eek::D

anne10aber 01-07-2012 16:16

Bag packed. 6 skirts, 10 tops, 1 shorts, 1 dress, 2 pairs sandals, various underwear, 2 swimsuits, kaftan, kindle, charger, beachtowel. Total weight 6kg. Bonus of a washing machine in appartment. 1 more sleep.:)