Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   Am I going to regret booking Ryan Air?! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/8447-am-i-going-regret-booking-ryan-air.html)

sianh 18-02-2012 21:25

Am I going to regret booking Ryan Air?!

Hello, I've booked with Ryan Air in July. I've never flown with them before and when I booked through "On the beach" they told me that no extra costs. But I now find out I have to pay to take some clothes! Anybody got some tips flying with them? Thanks

Nick 18-02-2012 22:17

I'm afraid there's not much you can do now you've booked with them.

Most airlines will now charge you to put items in the hold. I'm fortunate enough to be able to get away with "carry on" luggage, which suits my needs. That is certainly the way to go. However, if you're going for at least 2 weeks then most people will need to book a case in.

With the budget airlines at least, you really need to read the small print. I'm afraid it's part and parcel of the whole holiday package these days, everyone's after their last penny out of you !!

fil6699 18-02-2012 22:39

Hi Sianh
All you need to do is go back into your booking and add a suitcase. Its now standard for all airlines so please don't worry. You will be perfectly alright. All Low cost airlines are generally the same. So work out what you think you will need depending on how many are traveling and then go back into your booking and add a suitcase . also don't forget nearer the date to go back online and print your boarding passes for your outbound and return. if you have selected to check in online. If you have any concerns i am sure you can contact "On The Beach" and they will help but don't worry relax and get ready to enjoy a wonderful holiday.

sianh 18-02-2012 23:15

Thanks for your replies. We are only going for a week so maybe need less clothes but am annoyed at being caught out with the extras! Thought I had it all sorted! Thanks for the reassurance fil6699!

fil6699 18-02-2012 23:39

you are most welcome remember you can take 10kilo hand luggage so that could cover it check the liquids rule

Lorenzo 19-02-2012 00:56

Flying with Ryanair

If you do take just hand luggage - and 10k is not a bad allowance for a week's stay, - check very carefully that your carry on bag fits the dimensions stated by Ryanair. We've seen many unhappy souls having to somehow re-bundle their carry on luggage just before boarding as their bag is too big.

Also, we always try to eat/drink before we board. We were amazed last year when passengers in front of us on a Ryanair flight asked to have 2x gin & tonics + 2 x packet of peanuts and it came to just under £18 :(

In Bournemouth Airport, you are allowed,, at the moment to take a bag of Tax free purchases on board, in addition to your hand luggage, - but leaving from Palma you are not allowed your tax free purchases unless they are inside your hand luggage.

It's also a good plan to buy your toiletries when you are in Puerto Pollensa - and any partly used bottles can be taken to the Allen Graham charity shop at the end of your stay (they donate them to a refuge in Palma) or simply leave them in your apartment - it's a lot cheaper than paying for hold luggage just to take them over on your holiday.

Nick 19-02-2012 02:21

How about turning up at check-in wearing absolutely every item of clothing you'll need for your holiday and carrying only your passport, tickets, money and toothbrush ???!!!

Would be well funny if nothing else.

Wonder if anyone has ever done this ???

:eek::D:rolleyes:

its cd 19-02-2012 07:22

NNot quite gone this far but we always go hand luggage only which is fine in summer but in spring and autumn I can often be found at checkin with a jumper on me and a sweatshirt tied around my shoulders plus lightweight mac over my arm
Best to travel in heaviest trousers and shoes as well if you are going early spring and late autumn
If you are going for a week in summer you won't fill 10kg if you invest in a really lightweight max allowable size bag .... Believe me i have done it including 4 pairs of shoes
You.can get such a bag on line at jojos bags .... They are less than £20 and weigh next to nothing of course they ate*not stylish but they do the trick
Also If you havnt yet gone kindle don't waste luggage weight on books , most privately rented apartments have a great stock for the use of visitors and the charity shops also have a wide selection

sianh 19-02-2012 10:27

I weighed my suitcase and it already weighed half the allowance so I will look into jojo bags thanks its cd, and will also check the size of the bag Lorenzo hadn't spotted that one yet. If all else fails I will go with your suggestion nickpaulanoah, lol.

copper 19-02-2012 10:37

You have been given all the right advice already !

We have never had a problem with luggage as we obey their rules but the arguements we have seen and some of it has been very rude unreasonable English tourists blaming the check in staff for the rules !

If you book your luggage online it is so much cheaper than at the airport also the speedy boarding book that beforehand if you want it and they have also gone over to having some seats available to book in advance also Be careful with the size of hand baggage as theirs is a bit smaller than Easyjets !

Dont be tempted to arrive at the gate looking like a baglady as I have seen people with numerous carrier bags sent away to sort them out into one

As long as the price and the timing is right i will always use them I have found for sandwiches and snacks they are no more expensive than the exhorbitant prices they charge in airports We try and get some sort of meal deal at Smiths for sandwiches and water included if we can

With the boarding passes I find them the best ( unless they have changed it ) as you can print them off early for both flights wheras a few times on BA we have been running around finding an internet cafe to print of boarding passes to come home as you could only print 24hrs before

You do get a seat, more room we think than Thomson , planes are newish , timing is normally good so nothing to worry about !

Mr Oleary thinks all publicity is good publicity but has he now shot himself in the foot with his antics as people seem to be more wary of them than they were ie Paying for toilets or taking them away !!!

Mark 19-02-2012 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by its cd (Post 68349)
You can get such a bag on line at jojos bags .... They are less than £20 and weigh next to nothing

Thanks for that :) , found them on ebay.
Hand Luggage, Hold Alls on Wheels items in Jojos Bags store on eBay!

pollensa 19-02-2012 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 68359)

I have a Sub Zero G bag - it was pretty expensive (£42!)

dimensions are:

Style: Sub Zero G 19" Cabin Wheeled bag
Weight: 1.94 KG
Capacity: 35 Litres
Dimension (approx): H 49.0cm(19") x L 34cm(13.5") x W 18.0cm(7.0")

which is fine for Ryanair Cabin Bag & very light. It was worth it for the number of trips we make including my laptop.

And do wear a coat with pockets. Our bags were actually weighed at the entrance to the Ryanair section of the airport & we were advised to put our water & sandwiches in our pockets! Also Boots sell mini bottles of water if that's all you need!

cumberland8 19-02-2012 19:56

Another wee trick my source thought up for this seasons flights, instead of letting the Simpletons(ie us) put 20kgs in a case, reduce it to 15kg & charge them another 20 nicker for the extra 5kg.
watch the other Airlines follow.

pollensafan 16-03-2012 09:46

Having read all the above post's i repeat my thoughts as previously posted.. " What happened to the time that flying was part of the pleasure". If all that perfomance mentioned above is a relaxing experience then i'm obviously missing something.:confused:

clinkham 16-03-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensafan (Post 69177)
Having read all the above post's i repeat my thoughts as previously posted.. " What happened to the time that flying was part of the pleasure". If all that perfomance mentioned above is a relaxing experience then i'm obviously missing something.:confused:

Here here!! Quite right.
Whaleywanderer has the right idea - sail and drive to PP!
Of course this wouldn't work for our upcoming 4 days in April:( and there is always that moment to savour when the cabin door is opened and the warm Mallorcan air (and smells - in a nice way) passes down the cabin. Relax you are on your holiday - except for the baggage scramble and Record car hire queue.:)