Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   Winter flights (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/7780-winter-flights.html)

redshirt 26-07-2011 15:57

Winter flights

Hi
anyone know which airlines fly to Mallorca during winter ie: December/January from North East or Manchester??

Mike

MoMike 26-07-2011 20:38

easyJet fly from Liverpool throughout the winter.

We live in north Manchester and find the 40 minute drive to John Lennon airport no problem at all (usually 4:00AM so I suppose it shouldn't be). Parking is cheap enough, and the staff at the airport are first rate.

pollensafan 21-09-2011 15:17

Winter flights

I see the old chestnut was in the bullitin again while i was in pp. Winter flights to be cut. Every year now it's the same. The island wants more winter tourist but the flight companys keep cutting the number of flights. Note to bar owners- You all close for the winter so people don't go to those resorts, less people wanting flights means less flights being offered. You would'nt have to explain that to an idiot.

Sparky 21-09-2011 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensafan (Post 64711)
Note to bar owners- You all close for the winter so people don't go to those resorts, less people wanting flights means less flights being offered. You would'nt have to explain that to an idiot.

Pollensafan, this is not strictly true. Many bars and restaurants were open all through last winter here. However there were no hotels open.

pollensafan 22-09-2011 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 64715)
Pollensafan, this is not strictly true. Many bars and restaurants were open all through last winter here. However there were no hotels open.

Quite true, but the result is still the same. It's peoples perception thats the problem. When i came out to pp last february chap on the plane asked me which resort i was going to, when i said pp his response was " i thought that closed for the winter," My point was resorts close people don't come hense less planes laid on. The solution is in the hands of the hotel/bar/restaurant owners.

Sparky 22-09-2011 10:07

This is a "catch 22" situation, the airlines say they can't fill the seats because the hotels are all closed and the hoteliers say they close because the airlines don't fly the people out.
The 2 most important components of a holiday are a) having transport to and from your destination and b) having somewhere to stay. Without these it doesn't matter how any bars/restaurants are open or how much they charge.

Grandad 08-10-2011 11:48

I live in Leicestershire and was hoping to come out in January for St. Anton BUT: there are no flights from the midlands at all. I can get flights from Gatwick,Liverpool, Stanstead, and Bristol but the flight times means I will have to stay in a Hotel for the night which adds to the cost. However flights are available for around £70 so anyone thinking of a good fun break does have the oportunity to get to P.P which I shall probably do myself.

its cd 08-10-2011 20:37

Grandad

Easyjet from Liverpool mon to fri £50 return Monday flight at 8.40 so if hand luggage only and online checkin you wouldn't need to be there until 7.40 which is an early start from Leicestershire but doable .... Other option is there is a really cheap novatel on airport site ... Last I heard you could get a room for less than £50 - parking really cheap as well and don't worry it is secure. Return flight gets into Liverpool early afternoon so no need for a hotel. How do i know - Nearly booked it ourselves but dates clash with daughters exams so need to be at home

Grandad 09-10-2011 10:31

Thanks CD I will look a little closer now, I do not like driving so use the train where possible hence my reluctance to an early morning flight as train costs can be more than the flight cost.

its cd 09-10-2011 23:16

Ahh I could see getting to Liverpool by train would be a problem

JMD40 12-10-2011 11:50

Headlines and double page spread in the Majorca Daily Bulletin yesterday about the lack of winter flights this year between Balearics and UK. Its a poor situation and as Sparky says people cant get here so hotels dont bother staying open, however hotels dont bother to stay open as people cant come. Having said that I turned away lots and lots of clients during September as almost everything was full yet it was not possible to convince them to come in October (cheaper flights and accomodation) as they insisted the weather would not be good enough and things start to close up! How wrong they were!!

PB1 12-10-2011 20:22

This will be our fifth october visit-we love it at this time of year-OK the weather hasn't always been brilliant-but often it has been. Just getting that little bit of sun sets us up for getting through another North East winter:)

Canbalache 13-10-2011 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensafan (Post 64711)
I see the old chestnut was in the bullitin again while i was in pp. Winter flights to be cut. Every year now it's the same. The island wants more winter tourist but the flight companys keep cutting the number of flights. Note to bar owners- You all close for the winter so people don't go to those resorts, less people wanting flights means less flights being offered. You would'nt have to explain that to an idiot.

Note to pollensafan from a bar owner... We along with quite a number of bars & restaurants stay open every winter providing for the locals,villa & apartment owners who come over in winter and any tourists who may stumble across us. I trust I do not need to explain further;);)

Nick 13-10-2011 16:55

"Note to bar owners- You all close for the winter so people don't go to those resorts, less people wanting flights means less flights being offered. You would'nt have to explain that to an idiot."

Ouch...........bit below the belt and totally wrong !!!

gers1873 16-10-2011 23:01

having visited pp now over the past few winters i have to say a good 50% of places are closed however never been stuck for a meal or a drink in the evening but last winter was very, very quiet tbh

we travel all over the island when over and tbh most places are dead, only palma seems to be busy but thats a big place, visited porto soller last year and it seemed brisk mostly with germans on day trips from palma i think

i would encourage people to visit pp in winter as it is completely different from the summer months and still can have very pleasant weather if you're lucky

but yes airlines make it difficult to get there but make the little extra effort and you wont be dissapointed ;)