Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 06:07
Banned

PP is a "working" town. It NEVER closes.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-10-2011, 11:27

Default Winter flights

Last year was the 1st time in 19 yrs we could not make it out to pp due to no direct flights .Must admit i could see it coming, always used to fly Globespan from Glasgow, but when they came away with some guff about technical problems and transferred us to Edinburgh to fill another half empty flight the alarm bells started to ring(with me). The following year Ryanair flew from Glasgow Prestwick and the flights i was on were lucky if they were a 3rd occupied!

Unless the hotels open and tour companies start selling packages again, which would fill the planes, then i can't see change anytime soon.

I know there are other routes but a lot of people (me included) do not relish connecting flights/driving long distances in mid-winter, for what is usually a weeks break, not worth it.
Old 17-10-2011, 22:45

one of the reasons we bought property in Mallorca was becos it was a year round resort... something that is now in question.
I live within a max of 1 hour of 3 airports and flatly refuse to travel south. I feel that everytime a Scot has to travels south for a flite ( and not just to Mallorca) it is just another nail in the coffin for flites from Scotland.
I haven't even dared look yet, but I am presuming november and january trips are a nono:-(

Miriam

Last edited by med777; 17-10-2011 at 22:46. Reason: typo err
Old 18-10-2011, 11:32

Default Winter Flights

Miriam, Nail on head! This is exactly what the airlines wish us to do, change our habits.

Although you can't just blame the airlines! We all know the marvelous benefits of heading over to PP in the winter, the morning/afternoon sunshine giving the wonderful light you get which immediately gives your spirits a lift, the walks over the valley, the cycling, the year round restaurants like O' Lume, La Para,Naciente,Stay, some with their blazing fires to welcome you, the cheap car hire, the deserted roads, drive to quite villages, pretty coves, breath in the fresh air, have a cofee, walks along the front were there will still be the odd cafe open. Trips to Palma for shopping etc, etc

But, wait a minute why am i having to tell you this? Is that not the job of the Tourist Board
Old 18-10-2011, 12:16
Banned

Surely this is all about consumer demand?

If people do not use a service then they lose it? Airlines are no different to anyone else. Common sense would tell anyone that a 'plane with a handful of passengers will not make the airline any money?

A bus service can maybe survive with less passengers because their overheads are significantly less.

Or am I missing something here ??
Old 21-10-2011, 11:52

I believe there is a market for Winter, but people won't come because they seem to think everythings closed, if we don't tell them otherwise then they won't consider coming! If they do come then they will come back (especialy retired people who are a huge swathe of our population). Everthing you'd want is still there in Winter, someones just turned the heating down
Old 21-10-2011, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Surely this is all about consumer demand?

If people do not use a service then they lose it? Airlines are no different to anyone else. Common sense would tell anyone that a 'plane with a handful of passengers will not make the airline any money?

A bus service can maybe survive with less passengers because their overheads are significantly less.

Or am I missing something here ??
What ur saying is absolutely right ... in theory.
But in practice and in Scotland, it is a bit different. We really do not have a CHOICE, here. The facts speak for themselves - no Scottish flights to Mallorca during winter months.
The airlines consolidate the flights from Englandshire and as previously said, every Scot traveling south is filling flights from England and doing nothing to address the problem in Scotland.

It is not a use it or lose it situation in Scotland ( more like a more profitable situation of having to take 2 flights to get to Mallorca ! )

Miriam
Old 22-10-2011, 20:55

we have not flown from scotland for maybe 10 years or more, refused to pay the high flight supplements in the days of package deals, very often £70 ea during school holidays and with 4 of us just too expensive, often went to blackpool and stayed a night before going onto manchester the next day, free holiday before the holiday so to speak and kids loved it when they were young

even when easyjet began flying to mallorca and when globespan started up there flights were always a good 20-30% higher than flights from northwest england, again with 4 of us better value as it only costs a tank of fuel to travel down and back

its the old story of supply and demand i suppose, higher population in england, collegues of mine in wales often have the same problem with flights having to travel to bristol or birmingham for better flight times, prices and availibilty

it would be nice to see some sort of winter service to mallorca from scotland but to tempt me it would have to offer good value before i personally would use such a service
Old 23-10-2011, 09:24

We use Bristol (about 2 hours drive away) all year as easyjet are cheaper and offer better flight times but there is nothing at all in the winter months from Cardiff

Eating Out

Last edited by CathB; 23-10-2011 at 09:25. Reason: .
Old 23-10-2011, 09:30
Super Moderator

It is the same for the people in Devon and Cornwall, ok they have Flybe from Exeter in the summer but have to travel to Bristol out of season.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:53

It does look a bit grim for flights this winter, just looked to find somewhere for a week in early November and not easy to find a flight on a Saturday.

Weekday flights are easy to find from Manchester or Liverpool but rental properties are usually Saturday changeover...

some rental websites say the season has already finished for 2011 and its only 23rd October... (screen grab below)

--

-
Old 24-10-2011, 18:52

mark, i assure you pp is very much open for business during winter months

plenty still open to eat out somewhere differant every night

also many private owners are willing to deviate from sat-sat during these difficult times

re hotels are any open in pollensa town over winter? and did the daina not used to stay open in wnter? seem to remember being out one feb and having a drink on the terrace, i may be wrong though
Old 24-10-2011, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1873 View Post
we have not flown from scotland for maybe 10 years or more, refused to pay the high flight supplements in the days of package deals, very often £70 ea during school holidays and with 4 of us just too expensive, often went to blackpool and stayed a night before going onto manchester the next day, free holiday before the holiday so to speak and kids loved it when they were young

even when easyjet began flying to mallorca and when globespan started up there flights were always a good 20-30% higher than flights from northwest england, again with 4 of us better value as it only costs a tank of fuel to travel down and back

its the old story of supply and demand i suppose, higher population in england, collegues of mine in wales often have the same problem with flights having to travel to bristol or birmingham for better flight times, prices and availibilty

it would be nice to see some sort of winter service to mallorca from scotland but to tempt me it would have to offer good value before i personally would use such a service
I have to agree there about supplements from Scotland especially where families are concerned. It is much cheaper to travel to Newcastle/Liverpool/Manchester than pay the supplements from Glasgow/Edinburgh. We have never flown from Scotland for many years either and it's only two of us travelling now. Two and a half hours to Newcastle, an overnight in Premier Inn for £29 and travel next day....an extra day's holiday....who's going to turn that down!!! I remember one year when our son was still going on holiday with us that it worked out cheaper to fly Edinburgh to Birmingham and travel from there on a package deal. gers, I think that's why we're known as the 'canny Scots'
Old 25-10-2011, 09:28

Just booked up flights for January from Gatwick, I also checked flights form Scotland to Gatwick, £23, which I though wasn't bad, it costs us more than that on the train to Gatwick. I think it is important to keep positive, if we want people to go to PP in the winter we need to encourage them to go, that way the hotel may choose to stay open, and the airlines to put on more flights. So anyway, there are weekly flights through the winter to Palma from various airports in the UK, unfortunately not Scotland at the moment.

On island time!!
Old 25-10-2011, 17:02

abbi, i am not just a "canny" scot i am positively mean when it comes to parting with hard earned cash

i remember 4 or 5 years ago driving to coventry airport in the dead of night to catch from memory a thomsons flight i think it was that was free both ways, only baggage to pay for

luk efter yer pennies an yer pouns luk efter themsels son my old gran used to say