Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 22:54

Default Fun with Monarch

I know I made myself a hostage to fortune, I know these things happen, but flying out from Birmingham with Monarch this month I took a risk.

There were 8 of us, and I object to paying extra to select my seats in advance. It is, after all, meant to be "optional". We checked in bright and early, and were given one set of three seats, and five single seats.

Once we'd clocked this I pointed out that this would mean either a 2-yr old or a 3-yr old being separated from their own parents, and chaos would inevitably ensue.

To cut a long story short, after 20 minutes, we were given two sets of three and two single seats - but the pay-off line was priceless.

Mrs Monarch (I'll allow her anonymity) waved us off with - "I've had to move some people, so when they point at you and stare on the plane at least you'll know why!"

She'll get a job with Ryanair yet...........
Sponsored Links
Old 31-05-2011, 08:28

Another side to this If the other people had paid in advance and chosen their seats and because you were given their seats had to be split from their partners or family ?? How would you feel if that was you ??

Perhaps they sgould have rules that people with young children must prebook their seats to save this happenning
Old 31-05-2011, 10:00

Regulations state young children must be dispersed through out the plane (In the event of evacuation). Would seem the check-in desk haven't made a very good job of it. They seated the kids, but forgot to include the parents
Old 31-05-2011, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
Another side to this If the other people had paid in advance and chosen their seats and because you were given their seats had to be split from their partners or family ?? How would you feel if that was you ??

Perhaps they sgould have rules that people with young children must prebook their seats to save this happenning
Or there again perhaps Monarch could act like a proper airline and seat parties together rather than trying to squeeze the passengers for their "hard earned" like Mr O Leary et al.

Adios

Dave
Old 31-05-2011, 18:28

I agree that everyone should have a numbered seat like the good old days of charter flights which would save all the bun fighting on some of the cheap ( so called ) !! airlines

Basically they expect to make a certain amount of profit so why not price the tickets to include this There is supposed to be proper showing of prices of flights coming but I havent noticed it yet

I do know people who are nervous of flying and always book seats to ensure they sit together if they were moved away from their partners they wouldnt fly

I believe Mr Oleary is starting selling some numbered seats on trial routes
Old 31-05-2011, 21:37

It was interesting to gauge the reaction to my post. One British MEP is trying to push through a ban on all the extra charges that budget airlines bung on the the price of their flights.

Certainly when you are booking a flight on the internet, maybe via skyscanners to compare prices, you find yourself wading through the whole booking process before you can work out what the actual cost is finally going to be.

Often you have already had to provide full names and passport details before discovering the cost, by which point you may be too fed up to compare the price again.

It's all a racket. Still, the first view of the Bay of Pollensa each time seems ample compensation.......
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56

The one thing about not being allocated seats at check in it seems to make boarding the plane and pushing off from the stands a lot quicker
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35

That's very true, Joanne. Virtualy eliminates stragglers.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:10

It may be that some flights appear to get off the ground earlier but in 2010, Flybe had a better record for on time arrivals than easyjet and ryanair.

Adios

Dave
Old 01-06-2011, 17:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
The one thing about not being allocated seats at check in it seems to make boarding the plane and pushing off from the stands a lot quicker
I disagree........surely if you're allocated a seat you know exactly where you're going to sit on the 'plane??

How many times do you see people walking up and down trying to change seats or swapping or seeing a seat they like better??
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46

Have defintely found it quicker getting off the blocks with Easyjet, maybe its because we go in August the air stewards dont have any messing about
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
This is fine if you want a bun fight for a seat and like to stand in line for an hour at the gate like cattle just so you can sit with your family or pay extra to board first only to find your on a bus!!!. I would rather be relaxed and board knowing my seat, More stress is caused by Boarding without allocated seats. The only winner is the airline less time on the ground less fees to pay.
I fly on avarage over 100,000 miles a year all over the world and its always more relaxing when flying with an airline who allocate seats.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19

I have to agree. Easyjet is by far the most convenient for us, but if they changed to allocated seating I would be much happier. Not sure for how long though once I noticed the price increase!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
I have to agree. Easyjet is by far the most convenient for us, but if they changed to allocated seating I would be much happier. Not sure for how long though once I noticed the price increase!
Its about time that the airlines displayed proper prices including everything!
Which, the consumer magazine has a petition at the moment to get airlines to stop ridiculous charges to make money rather than than charge more for the flight.

For one person to get a bargain another must pay more - is this fair?

My FlickR Photos
Old 03-06-2011, 12:05

You pays your money you take your chance, if you want cheap seats you book early with the economy airlines (Easy jet, Ryan air etc) have flown with both on a number of occasions and never waited hours inline or had a problem getting two seats together. If you want seats together you pay the price or take the risk. Personally if I'd had my seats changed for someone who hadn't paid to sit together I wouldn't have been a happy bunny. Sounds to me that Monarch obliged this time even though the option of sitting together hadn't been taken up, surely you can't have both, or maybe you can!.