Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   Easter Airport Strike (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/7097-easter-airport-strike.html)

James 06-03-2011 12:58

Easter Airport Strike

From the Majorca Daily Bulletin

UNIONS CALL NATIONWIDE EASTER AIRPORT STRIKE, UK TRAVEL INDUSTRY SAYS IT IS “SUICIDE”
By Humphrey Carter

PALMA
SPANISH airport authority AENA employees dropped an absolute bombshell yesterday by announcing their intention to stage a nationwide strike over the Easter holidays.

Unions representing AENA staff have been threatening strike action in protest over central government’s plans to sell off 49 percent of the country’s airports, including Palma, and yesterday, Spain’s three main unions said that industrial action is going to go ahead and that the Director General for Work in Madrid will be officially informed of the strikes on Tuesday, March 8.

The government is confident it will be able to talk the unions round but, if it fails, the strikes will begin on Easter Thursday and unions have warned that protest action could continue into the summer season unless the government backs down or is prepared to be more flexible over the part privatisation of the airports and provide more job guarantees.

There does appear to be a split between some of the regional union branches. Here in the Balearics, sources for the UGT, General Workers’ Union, have said that they do not approve of strike action over the busy Easter holiday period. But, national union bosses will have the final decision, much to the surprise of the British travel industry.

Sources contacted by the Bulletin yesterday described industrial action at Easter as “suicide.” “Considering just how well bookings are going for Spain and the Balearics, up 12 and 20 percent respectively, this is like shooting the golden goose,” the Bulletin was told. “After the chaos caused by December’s air traffic controllers’ strike, this is the last thing Spain needs when the tourist industry really has turned around and pulled out of the recession. “We hope the government is as tough with AENA staff as it was with the air traffic controllers and cracks down hard on striking airport staff. “We will obviously have to start drawing up contingency plans, in case industrial action does go ahead and watch developments closely. “We understand that people are concerned about their jobs but strikes solve nothing. “It’s another hard year for tourism with the North African crisis and now strikes in Spain which will cause our customers distress and aggravation. “April is going to be very busy in the Balearics but, when there’s chaos, that is all the client remembers and will remember for a long time,” the source said.

Fencer 06-03-2011 14:07

Amazing typical. Hit the tourists then next year the businesses will be asking where have the tourists gone to yet again.
Why does the tourist board not step in and speak with the unions and "try" to convince them that what they want to do is wrong. Every year there is industrial action of some sort within the airport. Holidaymakers caught up in any strike action automatically think twice about coming back. Oh well business as usual.........then..

fil6699 06-03-2011 18:06

Idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chemical Dave 06-03-2011 23:27

Peoples jobs and livelihoods are at stake here. They have the right to strike following a democratic process. We live in a democracy after all. Perhaps some would be happier in the middle east, China, North Korea etc. I am sure the planes would be on time there.

Adios
Dave

graham 06-03-2011 23:51

Last time I checked, North Korea's economy wasn't totally dependent on tourism.

alcanadakid 07-03-2011 13:07

People's jobs and livelihoods are at risk here - those working in tourism, but I guess they don't get a chance to vote in the strike ballot.

sws97sdg 08-03-2011 14:02

Strike action called over Easter at Spanish airports
Workers in AENA, the Spanish Airports Authority have been called out by the unions in protest at privatisation plans Photo EFE

Unions representing workers in the Spanish Airport Authority, AENA, have announced 22 days strike action between April and August in protest at plans to partially privatise the organisation.
Some of the stoppages will be over Easter.

Workers are being called out for five days in April, including the Wednesday and Thursday of Easter Week, and Easter Sunday.
Other stoppages are five days in May, three in June and six in July and three in August.

Union sources say in a written statement that a call for more talks has been made, and that there is enough time to avoid the strike.

The document calls for strikes on
April 20,21,24,25 and 30,
May 2,14,15,19 and 20,
June 13,23 and 30,
July 1,2,3,4,15 and 21,
and August 1, 15 and 31.

As well as disrupting the Easter break the dates are also on key holiday travel days.

AENA management say they hope to reach an agreement which will avoid any inconvenience to travellers.

Read more: Strike action called over Easter at Spanish airports

favie 08-03-2011 14:20

Lovely.......my planned date is there too!:(
That boat to France (that I mentioned before) is becoming all the more inviting! :rolleyes:

sws97sdg 08-03-2011 14:29

It misses mine but even still it is worrying, imho there is no way the government will let it happen, the air traffic controllers are talking about striking as well but they are sure to step in if they try. It could be fatal to the recovery if they do! :(

Tommo 08-03-2011 15:31

First time back to PP in 6years. Coming out 2May home 19th. Ah well such is life. Wont stop us coming though. Tommo.

Belladonna 08-03-2011 18:00

Yep, affects us too at Easter. Forwarned is forarmed though, and will be stocking up with various things to do if stuck in the airport - hope the shoe shops are open.....;)

lollipop 08-03-2011 18:01

I am sure that the government will be doing their best to avert the strikes. I hope for all concerned that an agreement is reached so that everybody is happy, tourists,workers and local businesses.

CathB 08-03-2011 19:39

it would possibly affect us for easter -we are due to fly out 22nd (friday) and return 2nd May...July would also be affected as we are due to fly out 2nd July...:(

copper 08-03-2011 20:56

Great the covers two of my holidays as well !!

I think travellers suffered enough with strikes last year and the Volcanic Ash as well
I hope the Government does step in as a lot of people wont have booked a holiday yet and may well decide to go elsewhere

favie 08-03-2011 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by copper (Post 55312)
I hope the Government does step in as a lot of people wont have booked a holiday yet and may well decide to go elsewhere

That's my worry.....and yes, last year was bad enough, local businesses do NOT need this sort of problem this year!! Lets hope all will be resolved. Fingers crossed.:)