Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
I hope the Government does step in as a lot of people wont have booked a holiday yet and may well decide to go elsewhere
Yes, that is my worry....last year was bad enough, local businesses do NOT need this...lets hope all will be resolved!! Fingers crossed.
Old 09-03-2011, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Last time I checked, North Korea's economy wasn't totally dependent on tourism.
Graham, in 2006, tourism accounted for 11% of Spains GDP.

Adios

Dave
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57

This smacks of blackmail in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2011, 13:11

Those dates will cause chaos, not only on the actual dates but the knock-on effect! It's more or less the same every year at Easter (this country too) threats, threats!

Anyway, the glass is half-full, worry about it IF it happens.

I notice in todays MB the unions are worried that private investment will increase landing costs and, in turn, affect the cost to the passengers i.e: you and me! Do these guys do irony?
Old 09-03-2011, 14:21

Spanish Government says agreement will be found in Spanish airport workers strike call

Unions have called strike action in the Spanish Airport Authority on 22 days between April and August An Aena worker protesting about the privatisation plans - EFE

The Spanish Government has said that an agreement will be reached to avoid the planned strike action in AENA, the Spanish Airports Authority which was announced on Tuesday.

Unions announced 22 days strike action between April and August in protest at plans to partially privatise the organisation.
Some of the stoppages will be over Easter.

The Minister for Development, José Blanco, whose partial privatisation plans for AENA are at the centre of the dispute, said on Wednesday that he would ‘guarantee the right of the workers and the continuation of services in the airports’ though a process of ‘determination and dialogue’.

Blanco made the comments in the control session of the Government in Congress on Wednesday.

President of AENA; Juan Ignacio Lema, has called the UGT, USO and CCOO union representatives to a meeting on Thursday in an attempt to try and get the strike threat called off.

On island time!!
Old 09-03-2011, 18:56

This thread from last year:
http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...l-strikes.html

suggests that air traffic controllers earn as much as 300,000 euros and they are still not happy.
Old 09-03-2011, 19:18

Mark, this isn't so much an air-traffic controllers' dispute; their leaders are currently under threat of several years imprisonment arising from the previous walk-out. The unions are pretty antagonistic towards the air-traffic controllers as it is, mainly because they earn so much (their pay has now been settled at 200k per annum). The current dispute has to do with personnel such as fire crews.

The chances are that the strikes will not happen, but damage is being done just because of the publicity. The regional government, though it opposes the strikes, is a bit equivocal on all this, as it also opposes privatisation because it wants to get its hands on Palma airport and manage it itself.
Old 09-03-2011, 22:41

If the guy from Ryanair is asking the EU for assistance in this matter then he is obviously concerned.
It is a shame for all people due to travel on those dates. or even around those date as there will surely be a knock on effect.
Spanish airport unions are comitting suicide. Tourism is the major money making sector for Spain at the moment, due to the "economic down turn", and all they want to do is shoot themselves in the foot. I will not be booking flights back to blighty any where near those dates. Keep on booking those hols we still want to see ya.
Old 09-03-2011, 22:50

British papers and news are full of this today so it needs settling sooner rather than later as I know several people who got caught out by BA ,Volcanic Ash ,Snow !! and are thinking that going on a Cruise is easier !!

It is the knock on effect with it all as ther are so many dates ! I cant believe two of my holidays could be affected !!
Old 09-03-2011, 22:58

I'm flying on the 30th April and am now wondering wether to change to the 29th,it will cost me £82 with easyjet to change but I would rather do that than miss out.
The longer I leave it the more it is going to cost but can I wait to see if it is resolved?????????
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06

Yep, had this dilema ourselves. Were travelling out on the 20th, have now changed with easyjet to the 19th in order to be sure. Change of date costs plus new flight costs came to £110. Not going to change the car hire on line as this proved SO difficult last time, will just wing it (pardon the pun) when we get there. I'm sure we have now spent the extra money that the strike will be called off, whereas it would have definitely gone ahead if we had chanced it, but what the heck, I wangled another day's holiday out of it! Would rather be stuck out there than stuck at Gatwick!!
Old 10-03-2011, 17:20

I had already changed our flights from sat 23rd to Friday 22nd to take advantage of the earlier flight (yes it cost me £100 too)...on the list of dates the 22/4 isnt mentioned but our return date of 2/5 is...so I wonder what will happen

Eating Out
Old 10-03-2011, 21:26

Just to let you know ... Negotiations between the unions and AENA that have been going on today have broken down this evening with no agreement. AENA has given a proposal for the unions to study, but for the time being the strike threat remains.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57

Cool

Morning All,

Coming over on the 15th of May ourselves, but gonna take a chance & not re-book the flights.....Reckon that when the pinch point of getting near to Easter raises it's head, then all sides will see a bit of sense, & talk themselves into an agreement........

Also as stated before with the economy of Spain in such a mess, I'm sure the Spanish government will apply pressure for a solution......

All a bit of brinkmanship really!!!!!!;
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08

I think you are probably right there LTPW (or can we just call you Love?!) I feel that if they are going to strike it will be the Easter one, just to try and show they mean business. Anything longer is more likely to elicit a compromise with the government without loss of face. Here's hoping!