Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 10:25

Default Volcanic Ash cancels flights to Mallorca (and other less important places)

Looks like I'm first off with this news, though I'm sure anyone travelling today will be aware.
Turned up at Leeds/Bradford at 5 this morning to be told due to ash from a volcano in Iceland all flights cancelled. After checking for 'You've been framed' cameras we realised it was a true story.
Back home now after Jet2 rebooked us to same flight tomorrow - fingers crossed. Downside at the moment is they still have us returning next Thursday, giving us one day less in PP. Hoping to sort that out with Jet2 Holidays before we fly tomorrow (if we fly tomorrow!!).

Must say Jet2 staff, and the airport info kiosk guy (to re-arrange weeks prebooked carpark) were first class -helpful, pleasant and professional. They had come into work at 4am (takes a certain person to be able to do that) and were confronted with a total shutdown and hundreds of passengers milling about, but when we left for home at 6am they seemed to have things under control.

Just wondering what Palma airport is like!!

Hopefully the cloud will pass over and we will get away tomorrow morning.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-04-2010, 12:29
Super Moderator

Yes, bad news indeed. I feel so sorry for people affected by this, it looks like all airports in the UK and Scandinavia are closed, lets hope the cloud soon disappears and things can get back to normal.
Old 15-04-2010, 14:57

Just read that all UK airspace is closed to non-emergency flights until 6.00am tomorrow morning. My hubby is stuck in Barcelona trying to get back. Have to say that Monarch were not terribly helpful and instead seem to be more bothered about hiking up the price of flights rather than taking calls!
Old 15-04-2010, 20:47

Restrictions will be in place until at least 1.00 tomorrow afternoon

On island time!!
Old 16-04-2010, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post

Hopefully the cloud will pass over and we will get away tomorrow morning.
It's not to be. Fridays flights cancelled. So reluctant decision to cancel the holiday.
Old 16-04-2010, 08:48

Default further UK flights suspension (until Sat 0100)

BBC News update:
Flights across the UK are to remain grounded for a second day as volcanic ash from Iceland drifts across Europe.

At 0830BST, the air traffic control body Nats extended its unprecedented restrictions on UK airspace until at least 0100BST on Saturday.

A further update is expected at 1330.

BBC News - Iceland volcano: UK flights grounded for second day
Old 16-04-2010, 09:09

A real shame for all the cancelled and delayed holidays

The Met office website has some good satellite images showing the ash plume and ice cloud:

Met Office: Iceland Volcano satellite imagery

click on play and it loads 24 hours of images.( images later in the day than the current time are yesterdays, it cant show the future )

A huge ash plume showing at 08:00 today the 16th, North of Scotland, hardly surprising the flights are cancelled again today.
Old 16-04-2010, 11:16

Thumbs up BmiBaby customer Services

Just helped out friends who are "stuck" in PP due to the volcanic Ash.

They needed to transfer flights today to the next available. They flew out with BmiBaby.

The BMIbaby site quoted:

To rebook a flight following a cancellation:

Any passengers who were booked to travel on one of the cancelled flights can transfer to the next available flight free of charge within 21 days of the original flight date, subject to availability.

Our reservations centre is open from 0800 until 2200 on Thursday 15 April, and from 0800 until 2100 on Friday 16 April, please call: 0844 2450055.

If you are calling from outside the UK please call +44 8458 101100. Due to the exceptionally high volume of calls our phone lines are operating at maximum capacity so your patience is appreciated at this time.

This is a premium rate number and will cost a fortune especially when phoning from PP.

However, using saynoto0870.com I found a non premium number 01332854858 which was answered immediately.

Flight transfered from today to Tuesday. (the earliest flight Volcano permitting!!)

Hope this helps others stranded who fly with Bmi.

good luck to those in this situation.

My FlickR Photos
Old 16-04-2010, 16:27

I tried to follow the 'rebook free of charge' link on the Ryanair website for my family (stuck at PMI), but then found I faced a sizeable bill if I confirmed?... doesn't look like any Ryanair seats now available until next Thursday...the backlog is obviously growing!
Old 16-04-2010, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
It's not to be. Fridays flights cancelled. So reluctant decision to cancel the holiday.
Officially cancelled the package this afternoon with the promise of a full refund.
Don't want to sound like an advert for Jet2, but call centre staff have been very good and professional in what must be a very difficult situation. Not half as difficult as someone stranded in Palma with a family, I know, but it's only fair to give credit where its due.

Jet2 HOLIDAYS (as opposed to flight only) customers have their own web page with instructions - it's location may not be immediately obvious, so here is the link -
Jet2holidays Information - Jet2holidays.com
Old 16-04-2010, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
I tried to follow the 'rebook free of charge' link on the Ryanair website for my family (stuck at PMI), but then found I faced a sizeable bill if I confirmed?... doesn't look like any Ryanair seats now available until next Thursday...the backlog is obviously growing!
Jet2 (I know, I know! I do NOT work for Jet2!) were saying re rebooking a cancelled flight, that if you couldn't contact call centre (due to volume of callls etc) to arrange refund on original booking, to go ahead and book a new flight, then forward details of both bookings and they will refund the original in due course.

Whether Ryanair can be trusted to do this.......??
Old 16-04-2010, 18:39

Ryanair cancels all flights to and from the UK until at least 13.00 Monday

On island time!!
Old 17-04-2010, 00:25

Unhappy

no idea if this will help.. but for the moment, Ireland and Scotland seem to be able to fly( west direction from scotland)... so if u can get a flite to ireland/ scotland then train/bus to wherever

Miriam
Old 17-04-2010, 08:48

This is now looking more serious for those of us stuck in Mallorca. If the flight situation continues for say another 2/3 days (which looks likely) than for must it will mean a flight back home towards the end of the week due to the back log.

Thinking about a ferry from Alcudia and then a train from Barcelona to Paris, but I imagine that this train will be already booked, and not just with holidaymakers. So, might mean a night or 2 in a hotel and so the journey back turns into a marathon. No Eurostar space until Monday, and this will soon get booked up.

It might need someone to start chartering some coaches, there must be plenty of capacity until the season gets going.

Oh well, off to the Pollenca wine festival to start planning.....

Good luck everyone!
Old 17-04-2010, 09:16
Super Moderator

One family stranded here have been told they will have to wait until Thursday for a flight, i know people who had gone back to the UK to visit family before the season gets going and don't know when they will get back.
You might think it's good news for the bars/restaurants but if it goes on too long the people stranded here will run out of money (if they already haven't), and with no new people spending it could get very serious.
Looking at the news this morning, it seems like this cloud is getting worse. I feel very sorry for everyone who is being affected by this and hope things improve quickly.