Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   APIS - How often etc? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/6439-apis-how-often-etc.html)

geejaybee 17-08-2010 16:40

APIS - How often etc?

Hi,

I submitted API for a holiday I took to Greece in June and have now booked 3 weeks in PP in Sept. The airline (BMIBaby) web site states that I need to submit API at least 3 hrs before check-in else face £5 "fine" for them to collect at the airport or be denied access.
What is the frequency that this info is req'd? - Is it every flight?, every time you visit a different country, a set time period?.

Thanks,

Geejay

easylife1 17-08-2010 21:56

APIs

I only ever fly to Spain - mainland, Balearics, Canaries and I've been asked for this infomation each and every time

Heather

CathB 17-08-2010 22:38

I always book Easyjet and the information is required for each flight I book - however when you go in to add the details it asks if you want to use the previous info - straightforward as you can select then from the dropdowns.

Belladonna 18-08-2010 12:16

Yes, exactly the same for us Cath. It annoyed me to start with thinking we would have to spend time to submit it all again, but all you need to do is check what they show has been stored, and press a resubmit button. No problem once you know what to expect. The only thing that could throw you is not checking the email which comes through after you have booked, reminding you that you have to do it!:o

CathB 18-08-2010 18:03

Belladonna - To be honest I go straight in after I have booked the flight and do it then so i dont forget ;)

geejaybee 18-08-2010 19:26

Cheers folks, seems to me it would be rather helpful if they requested or at least gave you the opportunity to enter this info as part of the booking process. That way you are less likely to forget.

pollensa 19-08-2010 13:14

I've found that with easyjet they retain it & with ryanair you have to put it in each time so I should think depends on their systems & yes it is a pain!:mad:

mike_dublin 19-08-2010 14:16

Aer Lingus / Ryanair

Aer Lingus

With Aer Lingus You can add this information at the time of your booking or by going to the aerlingus.com homepage and select 'Manage Booking'-
Aer Lingus - Manage Your Booking

There is no info on the Aer Lingus website about what happens if you don't have added the API details on-line or whether it can be done at the airport. I wouldn't rely on it...

Ryanair

With Ryanir you can also add the API details at the time of booking or at a later stage -
https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales...en-gb&lc=en-gb

Ryanair make it pretty clear on their website that you have to provide this info at least four hours before departure otherwise you will not be allowed to check in and forfeit the flight (2008 press release) -
News : Urgent Info for Passengers Flying to Spain from the UK/ Ireland

Retaining details

I don't think that Aer Lingus or Ryanair retain the API details for future flights.

I can see that being a hassle for regular flyers to Spain. But on the other hand I'd prefer that my personal and passport details are only used for the purpose of sending the information to the authorities in Spain and don't sit around some airline database until forever.

We couldn't add the API details at the time of the booking as we had to wait for a passport renewal.
The new passport arrived a few weeks ago, but until I read this thread yesterday I had actually forgotten to add the API details. :o
It pays to read the forum. :)

ryansclan 19-08-2010 19:58

We've noticed on the last 3 visits to Palma airport this year that the customs have stopped scanning the passports on entry. So, in reality, I'm not sure what the purpose of requesting the API has been. As far as I know they are supposed to match the 'entry system' to the passport barcodes....But don't?

ragdollabbi 19-08-2010 20:27

When we arrived in Palma in July, there was one guy "checking" passports and the queue was huge. They were not scanned, and to be honest I doubt very much whether he gave them more than a glance as they were not actually handed over to him, but just shown in the passing.

CathB 19-08-2010 21:10

There was no one there when we arrived in July - they never used to scan them...only a cursory glance but it was still strange not to have anyone there (and we noticed when we returning home that again it was unmanned)

Gommar Goffer 19-08-2010 23:53

Don't you just love the place - so laid back - I get seriously worried when they actually want to feel your passport.

El Gordo 20-08-2010 16:32

Originally, they said the airlines had to provide advanced info of passengers 24 hours before you fly!!

So how come BMI can do it at the airport for a fiver!!

Another money making idea!!

alcanadakid 20-08-2010 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer (Post 48849)
Don't you just love the place - so laid back - I get seriously worried when they actually want to feel your passport.

Last year we travelled with our daughter and family and my wife carried our grandson who had his own passport but obviously had a different surname. Our daughter was a few people behind in the queue. Surprising the laid back official snapped to life and starting asking questions about whose child this was.

It was very reassuring.