Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 10:17

Default Monarch - winter flights from Manchester

If I am reading this piece correctly (from Majorca daily bulletin) it looks like Monarch are going to be flying from Manchester to Palma throughout the winter, normally their service stops in Oct/Nov. Good news if I've got it right.

BRITISH AIRLINE MAKES MAJOR COMMITMENT TO WINTER TOURISM
By Humphrey Carter

PALMA
THE award-winning British low fares airline Monarch has had a long-standing relationship with the Balearics, Majorca in particular, and this winter it is going to be making a concerted effort to help make winter tourism work.

Currently operating three flights per week from Gatwick to Palma, it last month announced it intends to continue operating the Gatwick service through the winter and yesterday, the airline unveiled three more weekly flights to Palma from Manchester which will mean that the airline will be operating between the UK and Palma all-year-round.

The new flights mean that Monarch will be offering over 51'000 seats to Palma this winter with prices starting at just 38 pounds and are on sale now.
Hugh Morgan, the new MD Tour Operations for the Monarch Travel Group has known Majorca for years, he has lived here for many and is passionate about the island and making winter tourism work once and for all.

He knows what Majorca has to offer during the winter and negotiations with the local tourism authorities are proving very productive.
The Ministry for Tourism has committed to help market the winter flights and the key focus is on getting the hoteliers to also work with Monarch to back up the airline’s investment in operating the winter services and make competitive offers to encourage Britons to come on holiday to Majorca this winter. “We are looking to maintain these routes for future winters and need the support from everyone on the island to make this winter a success,” Katy Sayburn, Head of Purchasing and Operations for the Monarch Travel Group told the Bulletin yesterday.

Last winter was a nightmare for residents and holiday makers trying to fly to Majorca. Not only did British Midland scrap its daily flight from Heathrow, the tour operators cancelled their charter operations for the best part of three months and even the low cost carriers reduced their services.

This winter, however, it appears that Monarch are committing themselves to providing a much needed service.
Monarch currently operates a total number of 23 flights per week to Palma and is determined to continue expanding.
Commenting on the expanded flying programme, Managing Director of Monarch Airlines, Tim Jeans said, “Our customers have been requesting year-round flights to Majorca for some time, so it is great news that we are now able to respond to this and offer a winter service. “Flights to Palma from Gatwick only launched in July and demand for them has been staggering with almost 15'000 passengers booked to travel already. “The additional flying across the Monarch network over the winter months is reflective of the booking strength we are already seeing for flights to core destinations such as Alicante and Malaga. “Our winter flying programme has been on sale since January 2010 and demand for flights to our Spanish destinations has continued to grow since then.” But, as Katy Sayburn stressed yesterday, Monarch is going to need the help of everybody to make this winter season work.

Update:

Just tried a dummy booking and found that they are operating on Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays with flights from as little as £7.99 one way. :-) Guess what I'll be doing for the next hour or so????

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 17-08-2010 at 10:32.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-08-2010, 10:59
Super Moderator

Whaley that is fantastic news, i have heard that the Sis Pins intend to stay open all year and if any others did as well it would probably mean a few more bars and restaurants would follow suit. I love winter here and hope that this will mean others will come over and sample it for themselves.
Old 17-08-2010, 11:14

I agree Sparky! Winter can be magical. I've been going for the last 17 odd years and have had very little poor weather. The sunny afternoons, quiet roads, exploring the island, has a lot going for it.
Old 24-09-2010, 12:02

Angry

Just had an email from Monarch to say they are now not flying on Saturdays in January from Gatwick, they have offered Sun to Sun which is no good, so just about to cancel and try Easyjet, wish I had gone with them in the first place

Just booked with Easyjet, almost the same times, £4 more, if you have booked with Monarch better check your booking!

On island time!!

Last edited by sws97sdg; 24-09-2010 at 12:46.