Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2010, 22:40

Default Flight extras or on the cheap ?

Been thinking about the cost of flights and the choices we make

Personally I just go for the cheapest option ......... I love my family but don't believe I need to pay extra just to sit with them for a few hours; ( I suppose I was keen to have daughter sitting with me when she was very small but from 7 or 8 I sort of took the attitude that she can talk the hind legs off a donkey so would probably appreciate someone new and interesting to talk to ...... never really subscribed to the don't talk to strangers rule in our house ..... concentrated more on being wary of things that seemed strange ).

I'm pretty much average height at 5'6 so don't need extra leg room.

I really don't care whether I am first or last on to the plane so I don't need speedy boarding ( and again I really don't care who I sit next to )

Then there are in flight meals ......... priced at about £6 each ....... no thanks I'll stick to a boots meal deal

And then there is the question of luggage ...... and that really does come down to choice ........... is it worth up to £35 and a longer time at both airports just to have more stuff with you than you probably need ...... hand luggge only and on line check in is so liberating ......... you just roll up at the gate about 45mins before departure and get on the plane

So, can you manage with hand luggage for 2 weeks ...... well the maximum hand luggage size and 10kg weight limit really does allow for plenty of luggage, especially in the summer when you really don't need anything heavy. So if you have a light, maximum size bag and use vacume sealed plastic bags it is very possible. I managed to pack 2 pairs of shorts, a pair of combat pants, 8 tops, 6 lightweight dresses, 1 pair of linen pants, a couple of pairs of flip flops, pashmina, beach cover up and long skirt in one this July. I then wore a heavier pair of pants, a vest, blouse, light short cardie and long flowy cardigan with big pockets for my book, camera etc, 2 belts, 3 necklaces and 4 bangles ( looked a strange colour combination but neaded them for accesorising and they were weighty ) and my sunglasses as a hairband

Beach towels, sun cream shampoo etc can be bought over there for far less than the cost of taking hold luggage

It is easy to do this when in an apartment as you will have access to an iron and maybe even beachtowels and toiletries .......... but I also did the same last year when I went to Portugal and that was in a very sparse apartment with no facilities ......... but actually even though you crush your clothes in the vacume bags, if they are folded correctly they don't crease

So what does all this save ........... well I recon it could be as much at £200 for a family of 4 ...... and that will buy you a couple of nice dinners, lunches for most of the 2 weeks, several trips out like the boat to formentor and back; bus to palma and then Soller train, trip to the water park for the kids ... or marineland, hire of a car for at least a week even with the current inflated prices

Anyway I am rambling now and at the end of the day we all spend our money on what we want to spend it on ....... but I was once a bulging suitcase lady and I am now a handluggage only convert ......... partly to save a few bob but mainly for the convenience

So if you are ever at the airport and you see someone with a small bag, wearing the rest of her wardrobe ..... do stop to say hello
Old 13-08-2010, 23:05

CD - I think I saw you recently - walked the other way!! Only kidding. Just goes to show the resolve of the habitual traveller - long may you travel light and quick
Old 14-08-2010, 07:31

Brilliant CD! I've lost count of the many times I've filled a suitcase only to comment on my return that 2 thirds of the clothing wasn't worn! I'm a very much 'just in case' type of person lol!

I always find reasons to fill a suitcase too - despite the fact that I actually have a huge storage cupboard at the villa filled with clothes toiletries and anything else I may have at home 'just in case'.

In my defence though -I do find that there is often so much i need to take for the villa from home. Including new bedding, towels , new curtains etc etc - 'just in case' of course -
What annoys me is that it seems that if you book a return flight with baggage then they assume you want to bring the baggage home too and charge for both ways.
Much of my baggage each trip is left at the villa 'just in case'! which means my case is empty.

Who wants to bring an empty case home - not me -I fill it with gin lol

Last edited by eleanor; 14-08-2010 at 07:32. Reason: typo
Old 14-08-2010, 09:20

I must say I'm the same Eleanor, it drives my husband mad, we could have taken 3 cases this year as luggage was included, but no only 2 allowed, if hubby had his way definitly only hand luggage. When we lived in the Middle East he took hand luggage for a 4 week trip and does't understand the need for more. Next year we hope to stay in a privte apartment so luggage will be more important re price and as he says I never wear the half of what I take and we can buy anything needed on arrival, so any tips on packing very much appreciated.
Old 14-08-2010, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
What annoys me is that it seems that if you book a return flight with baggage then they assume you want to bring the baggage home too and charge for both ways.
Not sure who you fly with Eleanor but I've always managed to book my baggage one way (Easyjet I think). Have you tried booking single flights for the out and return? Does this work out more expensive?
Old 14-08-2010, 10:01

We ALWAYS go on holiday with 2 cases. On the way out I mix the clothes so that if one case doesn't turn up then at least we both have clothes!!!! On the way back I try to put the used/dirty clothes in one case initially and then put the unused clothes in the other case......guess what.....the 2nd case is almost as full as the 1st one. I think that says it all. I always take 'stuff' with me 'just in case' In case of what, I don't know. When will we girls ever learn that in this case (excuse the pun) the guys are probably right. We don't need everything that we take especially if you are in a private apartment and have access to a washing machine. Maybe next time we'll go with less luggage, but then again what happens if..........?
Old 14-08-2010, 13:49

Hi Whaley - no I haven't thought of booking 2 single flights instead of a return. Good idea to look at that option.

BUT - where would I put my gin?? lol
Old 14-08-2010, 17:36

The two trips we made last year to PP were taken with 1 suitcase between the two of us. As I waited for the 1 and only case to come around on the conveyor belt thingy on the last trip, my heart was in my mouth - what if it had gone to some far corner of the globe whilst I stood in Palma airport???? OH went to get in the queue for car and I waited and waited and waited some more...
Then to my relief my case turned up as it was, for some reason on another belt further up the arrivals hall with a few others So if I can't travel with just hand luggage for a short trip it has to be 2 suitcases as I can't take the stress!
Last time we flew with the terrible teenagers their breakfast on Jet2 cost more than the flight
Old 14-08-2010, 20:38

CD

You are talking a lot of sense. Mr O'Leary will be hoping he does not have too many passengers as organised as you!.

Adios

Dave
Old 15-08-2010, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Dave View Post
CD

You are talking a lot of sense. Mr O'Leary will be hoping he does not have too many passengers as organised as you!.

Adios

Dave
Well that has to be a good thing.
Old 15-08-2010, 21:46

CD, we have just come back after a week taking just hand luggage, having a washing machine in the apartment meant it was easy to get by for a week with 10kg, even two weeks would be ok, btw we always pay priority boarding, just for the ease of it, also going and coming back Ryanair didn't measure or weigh the bags, very annoying when you have weighed and balanced both cases perfectly, although of case the time you go over will be the time they weigh them

On island time!!
Old 16-08-2010, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Dave View Post
CD

Adios

Dave
Dave, Quite the reverse,actually! O' Leary want's everybody to travel with hand luggage only.

10kg for a fortnight? Depends on the individual, but if you like to dress up a bit for evenings, that would be impossible.
Old 16-08-2010, 13:12

Smiddy are you saying I'm scruffy? I only ever wore my Spanish shirt on the beach

On island time!!
Old 16-08-2010, 23:29

Have to disagree Smiddy

I had 6 really nice dresses amongst my 10kg ...... all in very lightweight material, any one of which was suitable for the best of venues , especially when teamed with nice jewelled flip flops or lightweight shoes ( also in my 10kg ) accessories .... all worn on the plane so i looked like an eccentric and couples with nice smile which weighs nothing I think I was very dressed up

Perhaps contrary to considered opinion, we ladies are more able to travel light and still look glam than you chaps
Old 16-08-2010, 23:50

Well just to let you know what I took, suitcase at 1.5kg, camera weighing around 1kg, two chargers for cameras, 3 nice shirts, 3 polo shirts, 1 large beach towel, 2 pair trunks, 1 pair long trousers, 1 pair of shorts, 2 t shirts, 1 pair of flip-flops and 3 pairs of Calvins, so if you left out the camera you could get more in. Also wore shorts with big pockets, so managed to fit in iPod, speakers for iPod, sunglasses, keys, pocket camera, paperback book, not bad I thought. Also saw someone actually doing the wearing lots of layers thing, he must have had at least 3 shirts, 2 coats and lots of things tied around his waist, not sure if they let him on or not!

On island time!!