Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 15:08

Default Ryanair - Increase hold luggage costs

As of today (01 July 2010) Ryan air hold luggage cost have risen significantly. Easyjet I understand are holding prices for the short term, but expect these to rise also.

Its clearly a reflection of the market that Ryan Air feel they need to increase the costs of baggage, although perhaps their intentions are good. Reucing luggage on flights, will reduce weight and fuel useage, so perhaps there is an environmental viewpoint to consider. Also, I guess this will enable them to keep their headline ticket costs low, although of course they still need to make a profit to be a sustainable business.

Ryan air report that 70% of their customer will NOT be effected by the price hike as 70% travel with handluggage only which carries no charge....yet!

I travelled with Easyjet a few months back and tried the hand luggage only route. Would highly recommend, saved me 20 and about 2 hours. Excellent!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 15:25

Thats exactly what we did when we went to Seville recently and also what we plan to do for our week in PP next month, hand luggage only, 10kg each is enough for a week, no more waiting for hours for your luggage
Did you see what their next idea is, standing flights only

On island time!!
Old 01-07-2010, 16:15

I thought it was April fools day for a second when I heard the standing flights report this morning!

I think this evening, around 7pm ish, Martin Lewis is showing a programme where he saved a family of four a significant sum on their flights by getting around the added fees. It might be quite comical to watch as he mentions buying a military style jacket with many, many pockets!

I'm imagining trying to get on a plane with loads of michelin men as everyones stuffed their pockets full of their luggage!
Old 01-07-2010, 16:18

I think thats where the standing idea came from, when you wear 5 pairs of trousers and 6 shirts, its very difficult to sit down

On island time!!
Old 01-07-2010, 16:34

Haha! I'd be no good going with Ryanair. It was a real effort trying to get it under 20kg for Easyjet last month and I had my colours done so packed with much more efficiency!

Although, I think it might be the two huge toiletries bags and all the shoes. I did think about doing a Joey and wearing everything I own, but managed to get it to about 18.5kg so no need.
Old 01-07-2010, 16:39

Default Luggage charges

I had booked flights the other day but forgot to add in my checked baggage (no way I can do hand luggage only with a toddler as he gets no hand baggage allowance) so my heart sunk when I saw costs had gone up again as had not got round to buying it yet.

However, the way I read it the charges have not actually changed they are now offering a 20kg case for 30 each way and the 15kg case is still 20 each way (in July and August then it will apparently go down to 15 each way again).

I have done long weekends with hand luggage only and it is great. But what was good for us a couple of weeks ago was husband and I checking in 15kgs each and also being allowed 10kg each hand luggage as like I say with a toddler 30kg between 3 for 2 weeks was never going to work. Must add though they do take the pram free of charge.

Ironically when I go out in August it's just my son and I travelling. My flight was 14.99 one way and he cost me 20 one way as thats the standard infant charge ! Would have been cheaper to book him an actual seat but this is not allowed. Anyway, getting another trip to PP so won't worry about it too much . !
Old 01-07-2010, 17:02

I've just checked....It's called How to beat the budget airlines. It's 7.30pm on ITV....Martin Lewis looks at how to avoid those extra check in charges and get your summer holiday at the cheapest possible price.

I'm Sky+'ing it, as I'm fading already
Old 01-07-2010, 18:47

Did anything come of the 1 to spend a penny as was suggested earlier in the year?
Can just picture all those military jacketed people standing in the corridors with underwear sticking out of their pockets and very crossed legs!
Old 01-07-2010, 19:26

Smile

Could try Nora batty stockings and fill them with clothes
I must say full marks to Ryanair during our recent problem...they allowed us to fly home with no passport just the police report. Saving us over 220 euros on a form from the consulate.
They were very helpful indeed.

Last edited by susiejb; 01-07-2010 at 19:57. Reason: spelling !!
Old 01-07-2010, 20:01

Susie, so pleased they helped you. I have to say that Easyjet were excellent when we were mugged a few years ago. They allowed us to travel home without passports too. Seemed very strange though when we got to passport control. We had all the written documentation from airline etc but were still looked on by other travellers as if there was something wrong with us lol - perhaps they were right but thats for another post lol
Hope you have got everything sorted.