Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   Ryanair luggage allowance (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/5643-ryanair-luggage-allowance.html)

Pam and Dave 09-02-2010 20:49

Ryanair luggage allowance

We're flying out to PP using Ryanair for the 1st time.
I thought I had the luggage allowances sussed. We've checked in a bag each with an allowance of 15 kilos per bag.
The Ryanair site advises that each passenger is entitled to 10 kilos of hand luggage without any charge. I thought this was in addition to the checked in allowance of 15 kilos
Friends have advised today that this is not the case and that the total allowance must not exceed 15 kilos
Can anyone clarify please.?
I hate the thought of paying excess baggage
Thanks

eleanor 09-02-2010 21:06

I think you will find that you have your paid for check in allowance and additionally your hand luggage allowance.
The reason many try to go hand luggage only is so they do not have to pay for inhold luggage.

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will soon tell you but as I see it you have your 15 kilos which you have paid for and on top your hand luggage allowance.

JH02JLH 09-02-2010 21:37

We flew with Ryanair in November and Eleanor is correct. If you have paid for checked in luggage (hold luggage) you then have an additional 10kgs of cabin baggage. Be very careful with weight though. My parents were 1kg over on their checked in luggage and were charged £20.

Pam and Dave 09-02-2010 21:48

Thanks for your replies. We don't plan to take much hand luggage however its reassuring to know that you can take up to 10 kilos if required.

eleanor 09-02-2010 22:00

Oh Yes - I forgot to mention that. You will see in one of my previous posts I went into detail regarding what happened to us with Ryanair and I do believe others have had similar stories too. Jane is right with what she said re the allowance being strict but it goes further than that. We were returning home and as usual weighed our luggage before departing the villa. We know our luggage was under weight but on check in they told us we were over weight by one kilo and intended to charge us. I wasn't having this as I KNOW we were under but difficult to argue. I emptied some of our hold luggage and placed in our empty hand luggage. When we got home I again weighed our luggage and were under weight. Just a warning!

smg 10-02-2010 00:54

does anyone know what regulations apply to airport scales?
we were scalped by easyjet - 2 sets of home scales showed under, 3 hours later, theirs were over

Post Offices need to be checked & certificated every week, but airlines?

who do you complain to?

eleanor 10-02-2010 09:16

Yes I wonder if they are checked and if so by whom?? Probably in house. It is so difficult to argue. The worry of not being allowed on the flight plus the embarrassment of being in a que makes you just curl up and give in or empty into hand luggage. Whatever - it is not a very nice feeling especially if the que is long. This is an excellent way for them to make a few extra pennies as what can we do?? The problem does seem to be in Palma on the return journey. They know they have you. Even when I know I am under weight I feel my blood pressure going high as I wait in the que to check in!

annascotland 10-02-2010 09:48

Last year, while in the check in queue at Palma airport, we saw people waiting in front of us weighing their luggage at an empty check in desk beside us, this gave the weight reading and the opportunity to shift suitcase contents around, dump unnecessary belongings etc. We thought this was a very good idea and did the same!

pollensa 10-02-2010 10:12

We weren't weighed at the Palma gate this year (nor our luggage!) but for the first time, they insisted on putting every hand-luggage bag in the 'cage' to check measurements & insisted that handbags, duty-free etc. were all put in the one bag. I fitted my handbag in & was pretty nervous even though I had measured my case (we only take hand-luggage) & it fitted fine but I could hear some very disgruntled people behind us who had bags of duty free. I don't know if they got charged or not - so they are getting stricter at the gates.

Sun Properties 10-02-2010 10:38

Airport weighing - Gatwick

Faulty Airline Weighing Scales

April 2008: Airports in the UK are incorrectly enforcing excess baggage charges on passengers because of faulty weighing scales according a recent investigation by Trading Standards.

Following numerous complaints from suspicious passengers, random spot checks of baggage weighing machines were carried out at Gatwick airport, where officials learnt that almost one-fifth of the baggage weighing machines gave out false readings.

Trading Standards discovered that many scales were set to 5kg before bag had even been weighed, and staff had failed to "zero" the scales before placing on baggage. As a result large numbers of travellers would have been unfairly charged excess fees for baggage items that may have otherwise been underweight.

*****, Lead Officer on Travel Issues for Trading Standards, said that the investigation had revealed the scales at Gatwick to be "more than six times worse than the rate that would be expected for supermarket scales".

***** stated, "There was a need for more frequent independent checking of the accuracy of airport scales".

Airport weighing scales are subject to a lot of use and often require, regular scale calibration. When checking in baggage at airports, it is advisable that passengers make sure that scales are on zero before the baggage weighing begins.

Suspicions on scale accuracy should be raised with the government funded Consumer Direct website.

Edit>> Have just read that Ryanair have introduced scales (on some flights) at the departure point as with on-line check in and no check in desk people were managing to comply with their dimension restrictions but be over the 10kg limit.

sws97sdg 07-05-2010 11:06

We went to Servile at the weekend using Ryanair for the first time, we took off and arrived there and back on time, you cant ask moiré than that form a low price airline, also checking in online meant going straight to the gate. At no time did they weigh or measure our cases going or coming back, in fact at the gate they have no way of weighing them anyway, we were both just under which was annoying, if I had know I would had brought more stuff back.

pollensa 07-05-2010 11:50

We travel with them regularly & have never had hand luggage weighed but we have had it 'fitted' into the cage to check size several times & they oftem insist on the one bag. Last trip some rather massive guys had to sit on a girl's hard cabin bag in order to force it to close once she was asked to put her handbag inside it!

Btw, I read in their onflight magazine that their latest intention is to allow unlimited hold luggage (suitcases) so long as you can get it through security & to the plane yourself. You then collect it from the tarmac when you arrive!

Belladonna 07-05-2010 11:53

I cant see that working too well pollensa. The hand held luggage cabins are full to bursting already with just the one large "hand held" luggage that is allowed on. Goodness knows how they will cope if those stackable pull along 3 tier high ones get allowed!:eek:

pollensa 07-05-2010 12:11

The 'unlimited' luggage is to go in the hold - there will still be the limit of one piece of hand-luggage. This is to avoid the carousel & handling charges. You will take your suitase up to the plane & they will load it into the hold!

Belladonna 07-05-2010 12:20

Ah yes, sorry. Misread your post. The one time we got caught in a handling strike and had to deal with cases ourselves, we actually all found our cases a lot quicker by sorting them out on the tarmac than it usually took by waiting for them to come through the flap!