Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17

Default Air Traffic Controllers Strike.

I understand that the Spanish ATC staff are planning to strike over this Easter. Does anyone know the exact dates they are threatening to take action on. Luckily for us we will already be out for March but it might affect our return to UK. Mind you, it would be very hard if we got stuck in PP due to a strike!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50

We too have been following the rumours about the Easter strike which seem to be getting louder by the day. They still just say "Easter strike" with no specific dates, which obviously makes things worse as it could be any time over, or the complete week of Easter. These things tend to be moveable in order to create the most problems, so I expect it will be a case of hit or miss on days of travel. We have family popping over during the break and I'm pretty sure that some of us will have to sit in one airport or the other! Lets all keep reading and listening and perhaps we can "assume" a date or two! Or hopefully it will all blow over!!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00

A union representing the flight controllers has issued a veiled threat to "covertly strike" in the run up to Easter in an ongoing battle over employment contracts.
Jose Blanco, the development minister who oversees Spain's airports has vowed to slash the salaries of air traffic controllers in a bid to reduce costs at Spain's loss-making airports.
It was revealed that some controllers are earning up to 800,000 after adding overtime pay to the basic salary of 175,000.
The data was revealed against the wishes of the air traffic controllers' unions and provoked outrage across Spain, where the average salary is 16,000, according to government figures.
Mr Blanco said he wanted to see a 40 per cent reduction in the take home pay of air traffic controllers after it emerged Spain's 48 state-run airports had incurred a loss last year of 260 million.
"I have taken the decision to take the bull by the horns and end the privileges of these controllers," he told the Spanish parliament.
Spain's state airport operator is currently negotiating with the air traffic controllers over a new contract which will freeze wages and limit overtime when the current agreement runs out at the end of March.
A public statement made by the controllers' union rejected the cuts and warned that it would lead to undercover industrial action during the Easter week.
"You will have to put up once again with the suspicion of a covert strike," it said.
The air traffic controllers were accused of deliberately disrupting flights over the Christmas period when they staged a period of work-to-rule.
Old 08-02-2010, 13:50

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
A union representing the flight controllers has issued a veiled threat to "covertly strike" in the run up to Easter in an ongoing battle over employment contracts.
Jose Blanco, the development minister who oversees Spain's airports has vowed to slash the salaries of air traffic controllers in a bid to reduce costs at Spain's loss-making airports.
It was revealed that some controllers are earning up to 800,000 after adding overtime pay to the basic salary of 175,000.
The data was revealed against the wishes of the air traffic controllers' unions and provoked outrage across Spain, where the average salary is 16,000, according to government figures.
Mr Blanco said he wanted to see a 40 per cent reduction in the take home pay of air traffic controllers after it emerged Spain's 48 state-run airports had incurred a loss last year of 260 million.
"I have taken the decision to take the bull by the horns and end the privileges of these controllers," he told the Spanish parliament.
Spain's state airport operator is currently negotiating with the air traffic controllers over a new contract which will freeze wages and limit overtime when the current agreement runs out at the end of March.
A public statement made by the controllers' union rejected the cuts and warned that it would lead to undercover industrial action during the Easter week.
"You will have to put up once again with the suspicion of a covert strike," it said.
The air traffic controllers were accused of deliberately disrupting flights over the Christmas period when they staged a period of work-to-rule.
I think the figure was 350000(still loadsamoney)perhaps you were confusing them with the bankers bonuses!
Old 08-02-2010, 14:30

No not confusing them with the bankers, the figure of 800,000 was both reported in the Telegraph (don't believe eveything you read in the paper!) and the equivalent euro amount was in a transcript of the press release issued by Jose Blanco's office in January. I agree it looks excessive and would be pleased to know where your 350,000 (euro or sterling) comes from as I am currently using the Development Office (Espana) figures in some work I am undertaking for another 'body' TIA.

Of 2,300 controllers, ten were paid between €810,000 (725k) and €900,000 last year. A further 226 were paid between €450,000 and €540,000 and 701 were paid between €270,000 and €360,000.

Last edited by Sun Properties; 08-02-2010 at 15:26. Reason: To include figures from Development Office
Old 08-02-2010, 15:34

Compare the Spanish figures to those of the UK....

Air traffic controller: Salary and conditions
The starting salary is 10,100 during the first year of training, with an additional 60 per week accommodation allowance. The salary rises to 15,000 - 18,000 on appointment, depending upon location. Salaries typically rise after validation (two years into the first appointment) to 46,000 - 50,000, depending on posted unit (salary data collected March 2008). The larger and more complex centres, such as Heathrow and Swanwick, have higher salaries.
The typical salary for airport controllers with 10-15 years' experience is 60,000. The typical salary for area centre controllers with substantial experience is around 88,000 (salary data collected March 2008). More senior management grades run from 81,000 to 94,000. Again, location has an effect on salary.
Salary figures include payment for shift working and any extra responsibilities.
Working hours include unsocial hours, bank holidays and weekends. The typical shift pattern is two days (7am - 2pm), two days (2pm - 10pm), two days of 'nights' (10pm - 7am) and then four days' leave.

In addition (due to the fact it is state controlled) Spain has an excessive amount of controllers plus their history of accidents/near accidents no where near matches the safety levels achieved by UK controllers.

Last edited by Sun Properties; 08-02-2010 at 15:34. Reason: Spelling again!
Old 08-02-2010, 20:17

We got stuck at the airport in 2000 when the bus drivers went on strike. I would advise anyone to think very carefully about travelling to the airport if the strike goes ahead as our experience was horrendous. We were stuck outside the airport for 24 hours and inside for another 24 with very little information and stroppy guards telling people to move by poking them with guns - not a pleasant experience. This is why we no longer go on a package holiday as we prefer to have the use of a car then the strike situation wouldn't happen again as we just wouldn't go to the airport until the strike was over and done with.
Old 08-02-2010, 21:02

Thanks S P for the information, with a bit of luck we will avoid the "troubles". If not, an enforced extended stay in Pollenca wouldn't go amiss !
Old 08-02-2010, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsyl View Post
Thanks S P for the information, with a bit of luck we will avoid the "troubles". If not, an enforced extended stay in Pollenca wouldn't go amiss !
The real point of my post was to advise not to have too much sympathy if they do strike - they are on huge salaries and unlike the UK there is no substitute. In the UK (as I think was threatened some time ago) the military controllers could be bought in - unfortunately controllers need to speak English (the language of the sky) and with over 2,000 Spanish you can see why the ransom situation is arising.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28

Thanks for all that info, very enlightening. Please keep us informed of any movements.
Where do I apply for a job?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51

Default PMI flights

Hi Grandad ..... as you would expect there is a long waiting list for the jobs particularly at the main office in Madrid - main qualification is the need to speak English

If you are concerned regarding a delay over Easter (or any time) you can go on the US flight statistics site. Certain flights are tracked by GPS and if you have a GPS enabled 'phone you can actually follow SOME flights as they take off > over France/Barcelona into Palma. The other way is to log onto Track Flight Status, Airport Delays and other Flight and Airport Information. This website also allows you to see how punctual the various airlines are both into and out of PMI. If you only have hand baggage/boarding card you can check the incoming flight take-off time then leave PP i.e a 2hr flight time plus 30min turn a round less 45 mins to the airport from PP means you will be at the airport 1hr 45min before departure.

On a more general note I understand that summer UK flight bookings into PMI (stats up to end Jan 2010) are currently showing a decrease on 2009 figures. This was not as expected as most in the industry thought visitor numbers would increase (slightly) this year.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:26
Banned

All I can say is it's sheer greed..............they need to get realistic.
Old 10-02-2010, 14:53
Founder

To check flight arrivals/departure boards in UK & Palma we do have links to them all from the Flights Page Palma also has a fairly good PDA version if you have a smartphone. BAA (stansted etc.) don't seem to be so good on that front unless anyone else has found a decent version? - although their text-based arrivals/departures page isn't bad.

I have used flightstats.com for long haul & folowed my son on flights to USA but I never get much info there for ryanair or easyjet - am not sure about other airlines.
Old 16-02-2010, 18:36

Default Hi Sunproperties

Surprised to hear numbers down from last year but easyjet pulled out of east mids and the airline from scotland went bust so that could account for some numbers. However with the bad winter we are having and the summer that wasn't in the uk for 2009 then I think the bookings will increase in the next month or two as people going back to looking for bargains and leaving it late to book. Even the budget airlines are holding so called sales every week and flights in season can be had for less than 100 and May,June can be had for less than 80.
Old 18-02-2010, 21:08

Havent seen anything in the Spanish press for some time now so fingers crossed ,may have blown over (as opposed to flown over)