Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 13:43

Most Palma flights were subject to a delay yesterday due to the French air traffic control go slow. We were expecting friends on the Sleezy Jet Bristol flight which was over 2 hours late. The Easter 'problem' has not gone away and indeed the press are reporting more confrontation. At the moment Spanish Civil Aviation Law does not allow for the Government to introduce alternative facilities if the controllers strike i.e. if they go on strike the service ceases and this means zero flights. Jose Blanco (Public Works Minister) is trying to introduce a government backed measure via European Union law whereby an alternative service (as UK = military controllers) can be substituted - this is further antagonising the already well overpaid controllers. They have now introduced another aspect into negotiations .... they are now asking for triple pay for every extra hour worked on certain shifts!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 24-02-2010, 14:29

It really is hotting up isn't it.
Hopefully hubby and I will miss it - famous last words - as we are travelling a few days either side of easter, but I don't know really whether to try to cancel flights for my daughter and her boyfriend who are going to fly on easter Friday and return on the Monday, straight from and to work. It may be more bother than its worth trying to get there and back!
Old 24-02-2010, 14:43

I would not cancel unless you can get full money back as the airline charter allows for full reimbursement if excessive delays. I cannot see a full closedown more likely just short (more regular) delays. Just go armed with some good reading matter, food and drinks!
Old 24-02-2010, 15:50

I just hope they don't turn up at the airport having had huge rows or something! I will subtly advise them to go prepared "just in case" without giving them the complete low down. Yep, I'm a coward!
Old 25-02-2010, 21:27

According to local media(not the daily b!) no strkes expected over easter, controllers apparently happy(or possible shamed by Sun Properties scathing attacks on their wealth!)
Old 25-02-2010, 21:49

The present work agreement does not expire until 31/03/10 i.e. in around 5 weeks time however ALL negotiations to date have failed (due to the wide discrepancy) so air traffic are using Easter (as the dates coincide) as a ransom situation - I agree with Ray insofar as they are they are doing very well anyway however I wouldn't be suprised if they go for a go slow - 'just to make a point'.
Old 07-03-2010, 18:14

Location: 39°33′06″N 002°44′20″E / 39.55167°N 2.73889°E / 39.5

From SkyNet blog...

Easter Air Traffic Controller Strike in Spain Not Happening?

The Spanish airports authority, AENA, has claimed that normal service can be expected over the Easter period, despite earlier rumors of a Spanish Air Traffic Controller Strike at Easter.

It is now 'hoped' that air traffic controllers will use only legal means (that is, not striking) to protest against new work conditions.

For their part, the air traffic controllers union, USCA, has said they will work as normal over the Easter period.