Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   Don't fly Air France (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/5562-dont-fly-air-france.html)

Sun Properties 20-01-2010 21:55

Don't fly Air France

Don't fly Air France - or at least be sure you don't dine out too many times on holiday!

Overweight passengers who cannot squeeze into a single plane seat are to be charged double to fly with Air France. People who cannot fit into a standard seat will be asked to pay for two seats, or not be allowed on board for "safety reasons", according to the airline.

Air France spokeswoman Monique Matze said: "We have to make sure that the backrest can move freely up and down and that all passengers are securely fastened with a safety belt.

"The charge will only apply on flights that are fully booked. They will get their money back on flights where spaces are available."

The airline intends to charge passengers 75% of the cost of the second seat on top of the full price for the first.

Air France was ordered to pay £5,000 damages in 2007 for "humiliation" to a 27-stone passenger at an airport check-in desk in New Delhi.

Frenchman Jean-Jacques Jauffret, 43, had his stomach measured by Air France staff before being told he needed to buy two seats.

Mr Jauffret claimed he was told: "People as fat as you need to buy two seats."

United Airlines introduced the same policy last year, making passengers with extra-wide bodies pay for an extra seat.

Air France's new charges will apply for people who book their tickets from February 1 for all flights from April 1.

debz1 20-01-2010 22:18

I'm not being 'Fatist' but surely if you can't squeeze into one seat isn't it only fair you should be charged for two? :confused:

Sun Properties 20-01-2010 22:25

I suppose the budget airlines will be next which probably means you will have to state your weight when you book the flight. Should be fun if you book Bmi baby..... they never guarantee two seats together unless you pay the extra booking fee!!!!!!

Disorderly 20-01-2010 23:27

When I first flew, as a small boy, from Manchester (Ringway) airport in the 1950's all passengers and their luggage were weighed on big scales at the check-in desk. This was to calculate the amount of fuel needed for the flight. How things have changed!

Have you ever sat next to a truly fat person on a long haul flight? Making the "fatties" pay for two seats gets my vote!

Duncan

its cd 20-01-2010 23:48

I'm with Debz on this one for the most part .... just a bit concerned about the small % of massive people who are like that because of medical issues .... wonder if Air France will take a medical certificate into consideration before applying charges

But lets face it, we are not just talking about people who are in need of losing a stone or so ....... loads of us fall into that category , myself included ..... we are talking about people who cannot safely sit in a normal sized seat and I think design principles are such that most seating is designed for the 5th to 95th percentile ................ so these are BIG people

I had to change seats once on a shuttle down from Manchester to Heathrow because they couldn't put the arm down between me and the guy who was taking up his seat and part of mine.

Now I like to think I am pretty sympathetic to people but I don't think this guy's size was due to medical issues because during that pretty short flight ( less than an hour ) he ate the breakie snack they gove you and then 3 bags of crisps, some cake bars, a sandwich and several chocolate bars and drank 2 bottles of non diet coke ...... and it was 7.30am.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so nosey but it was sort of morbidly fascinating

Baron de Lay 21-01-2010 19:24

In the Universal Studios theme park in Orlando, certain rides have dummy seats outside, with signs stating that "As the seats on this ride are not suitable for "certain body shapes" it is suggested that you try the seat for size and ensure that you can close the safety barrier before queing"

eleanor 21-01-2010 19:42

I find this quite funny - can you imagine the lawyers sitting back counting their money from all the cases of 'against my human rights" etc etc lol

Disorderly 21-01-2010 21:01

So, having paid for two seats to accommodate their generous gigantitude, are our fat friends guaranteed that the two seats will be together, or do they need to pay for "embarquement prompt" as well?

Duncan

Sparky 21-01-2010 21:22

So if they have paid for 2 seats will that mean their luggage allowance is doubled?. :rolleyes:;)

jiggggy 21-01-2010 21:28

And does that mean if you are skinny you only have to pay half price? :rolleyes:

Smiddy 24-01-2010 11:42

Always been a puzzle, if i turn up at the desk with 1 kg over, some joker trys to charge me 30 quid, yet someone over twice my size doesn't pay a penny as they are on the limit:confused:

its cd 24-01-2010 14:30

Thats why when I travel with hand luggage only I look about 4 stone heavier than I really am

If you can't beat em , join em and travel like Heidi ... ie wear it and its free, pack it and it costs you

There again , my friends did say it was like traveling with one of the clampets( ?sp ) when they joined us for a flight in November

Seriously though, especially when travelling out of season ..... wear your boots and any heavy sweatshirts, jeans, jumpers and coats ........ no one is going to say "Have you got too many clothes on or are you just fat? ".......... well not unless you fly Air France lol

Another good tip when you take coats is take one with deep inside poskets and put your books in them .... that way they don't count in your luggage allowance

Chemical Dave 24-01-2010 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 38681)
So if they have paid for 2 seats will that mean their luggage allowance is doubled?. :rolleyes:;)

Sparky

You can buy 2 seats with Ryanair to carry large items such as a guitar or wedding dress. But that nice Mr O'Leary will not give you any more baggage allowance.

Adios

Dave