Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 20:40

This is so sad. Also very upsetting for the staff at anytime but especially so just before Christmas. I hope those at BA who have attempted to ruin Christmas arrangements for many people, take note - times are hard - you can be here today but tomorrow, who knows!
Old 16-12-2009, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
This is not good news in the slightest for people flying from Scotland. I flew with Ryanair a couple of weeks ago from Prestwick and their service was fine. If you know the rules and stick to them Ryanir can be fine. I just hope they increase the frequency of their service.
Rab, I was actualy thinking along the lines of lack of competition can increase prices, i agree, stick to the rules and Ryanair are fine, flew with them last week and had no problems at all. I forgot the hotels in PP angle, the Sis Pins in particular was their jewel, and no doubt will continue to be for someone else. I hadn't booked for this summer, but on this news, immediately booked 3 weeks in June with Ryanair, decided not to wait. Still very good prices.
Old 16-12-2009, 20:54

Unhappy

Yes indeed bad news and more so for us Scots. Globespan were for us on time and flight times suited our needs. Excellent staff with Globespan, we have flown with the big boys - Thomas Cook have gone down hill.

We will now need to get money back for two sets of flights next year and even worse what are our options from Scotland? With GSM you could pick your seats in advance, buy addtional baggage in advance and at reasonable prices.

I feel for the 600 staff.

Not so Lucky today.
Old 16-12-2009, 21:17

Luckyone, Have a look at Globespans website, there's a message from the administrator, my take on it is if it's only flights booked then there is no re-dress, only avenue is with the credit-card company. Package holidays are re-claimable thru ATOL. Hope everything works out for you, unfortunately i fear the bulk of Globespans customers are flight-only.
Old 17-12-2009, 01:31

Default Globespan Collapsed

Just heard on Radio 4 midnight news that Globespan have gone out of business, leaving thousands of passengers stranded abroad.
Up to 100,000 people have booked future flights, which will probably be lost.
Terrible news for people in Scotland.
T
Old 17-12-2009, 10:08

Difficult times as around 800 have also lost their jobs - the knock on effect will be felt in Puerto P as well as there are a couple of hotels which relied upon their package tours.
Old 17-12-2009, 19:33

Have a look at this

BBC - Douglas Fraser's Ledger: Globespan's cash crunch - continued

and this

Flyglobespan, holdbacks, and E-Clear

About time Mr Cartwright does some investigation into the monies withheld.

Some thing happened with XL Airlines apparently.
Old 17-12-2009, 21:27

Do they own Sis Pins Hotel in PP or just monopolise it? It would be a shame if anything detrimental happens there as its getting better each year. Hope things work out for Globespans customers
Old 18-12-2009, 12:00

we have not had much luck in scotland in recent years with budget airlines going bust

i remember a few years ago a company started up (scot airways) i think they were called and they only lasted a year, then there was the company the chap who owns motherwell fc that flew to the states and canada went bust, cant remember their name either, now globespan

cant see any new airlines starting up in the current climate, lets hope jet2, bmi baby or monarch can step in and fill the void
Old 18-12-2009, 12:29

Gers! Before Globespan/Air-Scot(who were actually Greek) we did not have Ryanair/Easy-Jet flying Gla/PMI,which we now have. So all is not lost! I've just booked 3 weeksx2 in June inc luggage and c/c with Ryan-Air for less than £100, which Globespan could have got nowhere near.
Ryan-Air are fine, i've flown to Palma with both them and Easy-Jet and had no problems, but if anyone is thinking of using them i would not demur, i would book sharpish.
Old 18-12-2009, 20:39

as someone who has been going to pp for more years than i can remember i cant believe globespan have gone to the wall it was the perfect easy holiday for us allways stayed at the la singala (globespan owned)as is the sis pins and have met many friends from staying there , phone was red hot when news announced by friends who we only see once a year wondering what will we do now ? can i also pass on best wishes to all staff at both the above hotels who have always been 1st class brian & annette
Old 19-12-2009, 00:42
Under Moderation

so sad re the Globespan debacle..we have visted the singala 3 times..I really would like to contact the staff and express my hopes for the future...cannot believe that this has happened.
Old 19-12-2009, 19:56

Does anyone have a contact number for Josef the manager at Singala? I have tried e-mailing him on his Singala e-mail address without any luck.
Old 19-12-2009, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Gers! Before Globespan/Air-Scot(who were actually Greek) we did not have Ryanair/Easy-Jet flying Gla/PMI,which we now have. So all is not lost! I've just booked 3 weeksx2 in June inc luggage and c/c with Ryan-Air for less than £100, which Globespan could have got nowhere near.
Ryan-Air are fine, i've flown to Palma with both them and Easy-Jet and had no problems, but if anyone is thinking of using them i would not demur, i would book sharpish.
smiddy, forgive me as my memory may not spot on but i think before we had globespan etc we had both thomas cook and thomsons doing charter flights that were easy to book flight only, also spanair were flying scheduled flights from prestwick and i also think air hispania and air 2000 i think they were called were both flying scheduled from GLA at time

i make that 5 operators from 2 airports now we're down to 2 from 3
Old 20-12-2009, 18:02

Gers, You're probably right, although i seem to remember trying to get 3/4 weeks was a bit of a nightmare, none of them seemed to do this, only on a fortnightly basis, if you wanted to go for that length of time you had to pay double, hence me having to pay £440 via Heathrow, and that was 10 years ago. The no-frills boys thankfully changed all this.

Very sad about Globespan, and i'll miss them, but, life goes on. Doubt very much if the administrator will have any problem selling the Sis Pins, the others we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Smiddy; 20-12-2009 at 18:06.