Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/)
-   -   Easyjet - Speedy booking (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/flights-palma-de-mallorca-majorca/5192-easyjet-speedy-booking.html)

car77 08-09-2009 21:46

Easyjet - Speedy booking

Please could anyone who has used easyjet advise me? I've not used them before but am going to book some flights. I see that they do not book seats but you can book "speedy boarding" where you can board first. This would cost £56 for the 4 of us and I'm just wondering if it is really worth it? How does it work if everyone on the flight has booked speedy boarding?!!!:( Is it a mad dash to grab seats? I just worry because we would not want our children to have to sit on their own if we couldn't get seats together.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Car77

mallorcaboy 08-09-2009 21:57

Hi Car77
I think Speedy Booking is a bit of a rip off. So many people book it that half the plane is filled with them. If you don't book it, they will get on before you, then families with children next. It's up to you, but when we flew to Palma earlier in June as a party of 9, we didn't use speedy boarding and we all sat together

sws97sdg 08-09-2009 22:00

Hi car, we fly easyjet and book speedyboarding, as you say I can be a bit of a bun fight if you don't, but it depends on the age of the kids, if they are young enough you will get to on second after the SB's, so I'm afield you have to decide if you think its worth it. Hope this helps

ragdollabbi 08-09-2009 22:01

Speedy boarding

I have booked Speedy Boarding for our flights in October.....but.... You have to be at the departure gate when the flight is called ready to be at the front (or near the front) of the queue for Speedy Boarding. We found when we used it for the first time last year that people were pushing to get past us in the queue and we were unsure if some of them had Speedy Boarding or not. If you are really determined to sit together I would go for it but if you are happy with one adult/one child together then you may want to save £56.00. Again it depends on how many people on the flight have purchased SB. I'm pretty sure you will find at least 2 x 2 seats together if you don't purchase it and make sure that you are at the front of the second queue i.e people without SB. What airport are you flying from, as I have heard that not all airports stick to SB strictly? Hope this helps you to make up your mind.

eleanor 08-09-2009 22:05

Hi Car. I personally do not think it is worth booking but that is my opinion. This is based on my experience of taking my Mum on a Easyjet flight and selecting speedy booking. You are called first to go forward for the plane but as you say it was still a mad rush as many had also booked this facility. We then found ourselves on a bus to the plane whereby being near first on the bus left us nearly last to depart and yes there was a mad rush. At the end of the day everyone was together so it was a waste of money.
I wouldn't bother again personally. It is only a couple of hours flight. Just a suggestion - I understand where you are coming from re the children. I'm not sure if Easyjet will allow just one member of the party to book speedy? The cost of this facility adds a lot of money to what should be a 'cheap flight'.
I'm sure others will have other experiences and opinion. Hope it works out.
Eleanor

Timberman 08-09-2009 22:14

Hi

I've only used easyjet a couple of times and if I remember you are called by some reference on your boarding card, so if you are one of the last to board you may have more of a problem. If you want guaranteed seats together you might be better off paying for speedy boarding. Its a bit like paying for pre booked seating with other airlines. "Pays your money or takes a chance":)

Might be somebody out there with more up to date info.

Timberman

sws97sdg 08-09-2009 22:21

The boarding card has the code for how you board, I think it goes assisted boarding first if you need help to board, then SB, then families with small kids, then everyone else, they check boarding cards and will only let you on if you have the right card, Palma do enforce the SB, and mainly you get on by a gate so now buses to worry normally.

ryansclan 08-09-2009 22:21

We never bother with SB and never really had any problems out of Newcastle. Remember: if you are not taking check-in luggage and if you check in online for your flight in advance, you are usually automatically allocated boarding group A. This is the first group after SB and young children. The other tip is to board from the rear entrance if possible as most people go from the front and block the aisles.

snowy2007 08-09-2009 23:26

Not worth the money 2 hours flight never had problem sitting together

Joanne 09-09-2009 06:14

We booked speedy boarding this year and thought it was good. We liked it as when we got to Stansted the Easyjet desks were mobbed but at the speedy boarding check in desk there were only a couple of people in front so we didnt have to queue long at all. I did notice when looking back on the Easyjet website a few weeks after we had booked our flight that speedy boarding for our flight was sold out so there must be only a certain amount of sb sold so there would be enough seats together left for people getting on with children. The queue for the sb check in desk at Palma was a bit longer than at Stansted but still worth paying the extra for and when boarding SB got on first, then people with children.

sunny 09-09-2009 08:21

We've never had a problem getting 4 seats together out of newcastle, always make sure checked in early and get to gate before flight called. last year bus to plane people with speedy boarding got on bus 1st then everyone else so they ended up last to plane!

lollipop 09-09-2009 08:34

I have always found that people are happy to move to allow families to sit together. Just make sure if you don't check in online that you get to the gate in good time.

kate1 09-09-2009 09:20

I would personally say it was worth it just for the dedicated check-in. We have saved so much time not having to endure massive queues. But yes, you do need to be at the gate early and push your way to the front! Also I have to say on a couple of occasions when we didn't book Speedy Boarding we had real problems sitting together on the plane - a nightmare with two very young children - fortunately other passengers agreed to move but they may not always be so accommodating!

Belladonna 09-09-2009 09:30

Gatwick is a nightmare in summer whether you use speedy boarding or not! When it first came out there were only a few who used it, now its virtually everyone anyway and yes, it is still a push and shove by some people.

With only two of you its no problem getting seats together, but this year I did see that once on, the attendants were asking if people would change seats so that at least one parent could sit with a child, and that ended up either side of the aisle!

As to one member getting speedy boarding and holding seats - beware the wrath of other flyers on that one!!

Unfortunately if you are a family with younger children travelling in the high season, or may be always now that flights are being cut from other airports, then I think it will be necessary to be ripped off and pay extra to ensure you get on just that little bit earlier and get seats together.

RingSpin 09-09-2009 09:57

OMG
Reading this thread makes travelling with EasyJet sound like an absolute nightmare and not the ideal start to a relaxed and happy holiday.
I'll certainly be avoiding them - no matter how cheap it might be.