Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 22:37

Unhappy globespan cancel Jan 2010 flights

Hiya,

This isnt going to help keep things ticking over much during the winter.. I have just had my jan 14th flite cancelled. I was told that all have been cancelled till about 4th of feb.
Managed to get a ryanair flight but its a shame... just when I thought great, more flites to Palma from Scotland, globespan pull the plug on january.

Miriam
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2009, 13:28

Hi Miriam!

Sorry to hear you had to change to Ryanair due to Globespan's programme change.

Here's a link to a pilots' forum which can often give you wind of what is going on at Globespan.

What about the old days when it was a Saturday evening flight, once a week on Spanair or Iberworld?

Appears GS are being very cautious in these recessionary times, ensuring they are getting pretty full capacity on the flights they do run.

FlyGlobeSpan - 8 - Page 27 - PPRuNe Forums
Old 10-08-2009, 00:47

Smile

thanx for that Porto !!!!!!!!!!!!

got drawn in and some scarey reading lol

...and I had forgotton all about the Spanair flites !

Miriam
Old 10-08-2009, 18:51

Spanair flights ..that reminds me...did anyone ever fly with Spantax...I think they have got to be the worst I have ever flown with,,,still shudder at the memory
Old 10-08-2009, 19:32

Don't mention Spantax please - I still vividly remember on very hot day in the early eighties I think.

We had gone to the airport to catch our flight home early evening - remember - only one runway at this time. They were test flying a Spantax plane and the landing gear failed so they crash landed it on the runway. Result - airport closed all night and the aircon had packed up - nightmare

Sorry if it is a bit off post but I had to share it with you all

GG
Old 11-08-2009, 00:05

soooooooooo generous of u to share that GG !!!!!!!!!!! NOT

Which spanish airline was in a sorta yellowy mustard outfit ? Didnt speak a word of english but smiled a lot ? (and the safety talk at take off was very intersting

Miriam
Old 11-08-2009, 22:05

Angry grrrrrrr!

Postman left a note in my mailbox today...non-delivery of letter cos sender had not put a stamp on it. So went online, paid the postage (2.05) and foned sorting office. Lovely man there was very helpful... yup, letter was there, recorded delivery - nae stamps - from GLOBESPAN... the letter cancelling my January flights
Old 19-08-2009, 22:18

Just back today flying to Edinburgh from Palma with Globespan and the check in desks were hammering people with excess baggage,young couple with a toddler were asked for 80euros and ended up opening their cases and throwing away towels and other items,check in was so slow they had to open four desks to get plane loaded in time.
Old 20-08-2009, 09:28

This is really getting silly now. Most people are very aware of the weight allowance and know that they will have to pay if they are over.
I refer back to our dealings with Ryanair when we had weighed our cases and knew them to be well under only to be told at check in Palma we were 1kg over and had to pay. We too took a couple of items out and placed in our empty hand luggage bag.

The worry is that this is an easy money earner - most people would feel somewhat awkward to have this happen to them and would just pay. I would like to know if the scales are checked and are accurate? Does anyone know?
My husband said he will take something with him next time which has a unarguable weight - such as a bag of sugar!! - He would too!!
Old 20-08-2009, 17:00

LOL! He would have to leave it behind though - you cant take food through!!
Old 20-08-2009, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigandyg View Post
Just back today flying to Edinburgh from Palma with Globespan and the check in desks were hammering people with excess baggage,young couple with a toddler were asked for 80euros and ended up opening their cases and throwing away towels and other items,check in was so slow they had to open four desks to get plane loaded in time.
The Globespan groundstaff at Palma have been like this for months - I reckon they must get apercentage of excess baggage fees.

Had a similar situation in May. We were at checkin 2 hrs before take off. By the time we checked in and got to the gate the flight was boarding!

Adios

Dave
Old 20-08-2009, 20:52

Default Globespan

I had written on a previous post how we had got stung for 276 euros by Globespan at Palma! We had forgotten to add on extra luggage for way back but could still not understand howwe were 23 kg over as we had not bought anything ! When we re-weighed our luggage ourselves at Glasgow we found it to be 12kg lighter than was claimed at Palma and I strongly believe that the car seat had been added in when it is supposed to be free.

I wrote to Globespan and have received a cheque back for 62.Interestingly enough there was part on an email enclosed in the letter (wrongly I presume) and it stated on it make sure you reclaim this money and the commission from acciona. So thet are definitely getting commission....and plenty of it !!!

So note for the future for us always remember to book extra luggage in advance!!!!
Old 20-08-2009, 21:32

Thanks Star,

This confirms my suspicions about why there is so much attention given to baggage. It will be a fine line for the ground staff however, if they hold up the flight, Globespan will not be too happy with this situation.

I think they open they sometimes open the check in well before the two hours, knowing that there are lots of people ready to check in . This gives them plenty of time to charge everyone for the excess baggage. The best action might be to turn up at the checkin just before the flight closes!

Gone off topic a bit sorry!

Adios

Dave
Old 21-08-2009, 15:57

Default Globespan

I have travelled with Globespan 3 times a year since they started operations and have never been charged a cent overweight. No doubt there may be a bit of "fiddling" going on, but i've never come across it personaly.
Old 21-08-2009, 21:10

Default Globespan

I do not think in or case there was any fiddling going on. We knew we were over but not to the extent they claimed. I think it was a genuine mistake of adding in things that should have been free and there have apologised for that and said they have asked all staff in Palma to be reminded of this.

I also travel with Globespan several times a year and had not been charged before however, this year is the first year I have seen them really charging what seemed like everyone and as a result check in takes forever. One young girl there was nearly in tears as she was being charged 12 euros for being 1 kg over and she had no money left at all. It is cases like that that made me feel they were being really mean and determined to get every penny of commission they could !

Ryanair are now an option from Prestwick and by checking in a case at 15kg and taking handluggage at 10kg you actually get more than Globespan so this may sway people, who knows.