Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 10:50
Founder

Default Ryanair - Cabin bags in the hold!

Maybe the plan to avoid hold luggage is backfiring. When we flew out with Ryanair a couple of weeks ago the flight was completely full & nearly everyone was travelling with the maximum size cabin bags. So no surprise there wasn't enough room in the overhead lockers. The hostess tried to get people to fit bags under the seat in front but.. they don't fit. In the end the last few people on the plane had to take their passports out of their bags, get off & put their bags in the hold - without luggage labels!

So be warned - do try & get on early & put your valuables near the top so that you can take them out if you need to.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 08:58

If people and the airlines did stick to the size of bags for the cabin this probaly would'nt and wont happen but most people have bags way over the size limit to put in the cabin.

Last edited by Rangers1; 10-04-2009 at 16:12.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14
Founder

I think there may have been a typo in your post (?) but most people's bags were the right size & they were making sure people only had one bag - no duty-free carriers.

My bag is the maximum 50 x 45 x 20 (I think that's the dimensions) which is a fair size & bigger than a lot of bags sold as cabin bags & I can put my handbag inside it. It fits into the overhead locker but you can see that if the plane is full there isn't enough room for one cabin bag per person. I'd always suspected it but this is the first time it had happened.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31

Default Ryan Air

Got to agree, Rangers 1! It will come to a time when the airlines will insist everybody must place their bags in the little trial stands you see at check-in, if it doesn't fit then your baggage goes in the hold, more delays while people argue and have to pay the difference! I've seen them come on planes with mini suitcases! At the risk of repeating myself 'We all know the rules, stick to them'! Let's face it, it's impossible to go for a weeks holiday with only hand luggage. One suitcase for 2 people if your on a budget?

We all have a dig at Ryanair, but their fares are still very cheap, or do we want to turn the clock back 10 years and pay 150/200 a flight, which probably equates to roughly 220/340 nowadays..
Old 10-04-2009, 11:35
Founder

Hi Smiddy,

I don't want to argue on my own forum but in this particular case, the bags WERE being checked for size/weight at security in Stansted, I didn't see any that were larger than mine (which is the correct size) & given the time of year (March) & the day (Thu), my guess is that most people were only going for a weekend... and I can manage with a cabin bag for a week as I'm fortunate to have accommodation & stuff already out there. I haven't taken a suitcase out for over a year.

I agree that in the past I've seen some massive bags & people taking more than one but on this occasion it just wasn't the case. Ryanair has been sending out emails warning of the excess charges if they exceed the cabin bag size & weight & airport security were looking for Ryanair boarding cards & then assessing the bags. There just isn't enough room in the lockers for one correct size cabin bag per person.

The cost for one suitcase is now so high that I'm sure that families going for a week or two will take advantage of the rules & take only one 15 kg suitcase plus one 10 kg cabin bag each - & why shouldn't they?

Of course we fly Ryanair because it's so cheap - I'm just warning people to be prepared in case their hand-luggage which may hold valuables has to go in the hold with no label. Make sure you have your own luggage label.
Old 10-04-2009, 16:16

Pollensa

Sorry but i was not on your flight its just my take on the many airlines i have used and seems to be a common thing and would appear from where i sit that alot of people like to push this way beyond the limits IMO.Im sure that you do have bags that are within the rules but you will pay the price for the many that dont.
Old 21-04-2009, 10:53

Yup, as Ryanair make a large % of their revenue and profit from extras such as oversized/weight baggage, they are probably the hottest around on this.

I've purchased a Sub-0-G extra lightweight cabin bag that is within allowed dimensions but plenty big enough for my means... fingers crossed!

By the way Pollensa, how have you found the Ryanair flights? (this is my first time to Palma with them and I read elsewhere on the forum that they have been known to occassionally change flight times at short notice?)

Bon Dia!
Old 21-04-2009, 11:18
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
By the way Pollensa, how have you found the Ryanair flights? (this is my first time to Palma with them and I read elsewhere on the forum that they have been known to occassionally change flight times at short notice?)
Apart from the snow cancellation which affected all airlines we've never had any problems. We're flying Thursday too (from Stansted) so may even even see you about!
Old 21-04-2009, 14:23

...hope so! Thursday looks like a beautiful day.

Have a safe and comfortable trip out!
Old 21-04-2009, 14:51

Hi
I paid for 2 hold bags when I booked my flights and then decided to add another a few days later. Flying out from Dublin there was no problems but when checking in at Palma I was told I had only paid for 2. Having already waited over 30mins to check in I was not pleased that I then had to go to kiosk and pay 20.00euro, queuing again. The lady on the desk there agreed that I had paid for 3 and voided the ticket. Went back across to check in desk to collect boarding cards. I then questioned how I went about getting the priority boarding tickets I had prebooked (always feel safer with them with the kids) and was told I had to go back over to the kiosk and queue again. Will still fly Ryanair as still the cheapest but not the greatest end to a great holiday.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:37

Globespan were cracking down on luggage weight. 20kg maximum for both handluggage and hold luggage and people were being charged if they went over this limit. They were weighing everybody's luggage, even if you said you only had hand luggage. We witnessed people who thought they only had hand luggage having to pay for their luggage because it wouldn't fit into the holder and was over weight. Instead of paying for both baggages they shoved more in the bag they were paying for and took one bag for hand luggage, Globespan seemed to be working more on weight, although size was being taken on board.